• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The hiring of Minasian likely signified the direction Arte wanted to head in.

Minasian has worked for teams that draft well, develop talent well, and typically don't make large free agent signing, but rather, calculated, short-term risks.

Given Arte chose Minasian, it showed he wanted someone who could help build t his team from the ground up, not someone who will hand out mega contracts in free agency.

We will probably see another short-term deal, a la Quintana.

Um, Minasian wasn't anywhere close to their first pick. Arte made a run at big names first and was shut down. He was their pick when they switched gears to a first time GM. The prime factor in picking him seems to relate more to drafting and development, not to find someone who wouldn't hand out big money, as if Dipoto and Eppler were pressuring Arte into that and Arte doesn't want to spend big money anymore. 

So, yeah, this isn't anything close to accurate. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Um, Minasian wasn't anywhere close to their first pick. Arte made a run at big names first and was shut down. He was their pick when they switched gears to a first time GM. The prime factor in picking him seems to relate more to drafting and development, not to find someone who wouldn't hand out big money, as if Dipoto and Eppler were pressuring Arte into that and Arte doesn't want to spend big money anymore. 

So, yeah, this isn't anything close to accurate. 

Right - that was more of my point / focus - that he was looking for someone who would prioritize that.  I didn't mean to suggest that his prime point was to hire someone who wouldn't give out a big contract.  Just about any GM, if the owner said "here's a pot of gold, go use it," would likely sign someone to a large deal.

Again - the emphasis is someone who will draft and develop, and build a support system around Trout, Rendon, and (perhaps) a healthy Ohtani.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So sometimes you are rational enough to deal with then you post troll ass shit like this. 

Is it really trolling? It’s a jab/joke, this team has been bad for quite some time now. With the same glaring need each off season. What do you expect?

This board pretty much all agreed that we needed 2 pitchers this off-season. Snell, Darvish, Bauer Gray, Marquez were the names being thrown around. This board all agreed that this was the year it made the most sense for Arte to spend. That the AL West was ours for the taking. 

Surely you can’t be thrilled about how this has played out?

If it’s true that there’s this philosophical shift - I wonder if that was part of his sit down with Trout about their commitment to winning when he was working to get him to re sign.   Seems directly contrary to what they were supposedly doing.  It doesn’t seem to me that there’s a starting pitcher that they’ll be developing coming soon that can significantly impact the quality of the rotation.  And if they’re banking on what they have now....yikes. 

On the Maria Torres article...

She doesn't have any direct quotes, but it seems like she heard some information that led her to write the article.

These are the parts of the article where it seems like she has some intel:

"But he’s not a great fit in Anaheim, according to people with knowledge of the Angels’ thinking, even if the team were to offer him the record-setting annual value (greater than $36 million) he reportedly seeks."

"The relationship between Bauer and Callaway is believed to be eroded beyond repair, according to a person with knowledge of Bauer’s current negotiations."

"That may not be a hopeless scenario. Minasian still needs to get to know the talent he has. He and his Angels colleagues are encouraged by the potential of youngsters Jaime Barria, Griffin Canning and Patrick Sandoval. They’re confident Dylan Bundy and Andrew Heaney, both of whom are in the final seasons of their contracts, will continue to progress. They’re comfortable giving two-way player Shohei Ohtani an opportunity to pitch like the star he was when healthy in 2018. And Quintana is a proven commodity."

It's clear that she spoke to some people before writing this article, but it's weird that she didn't actually quote anyone.

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Is it really trolling? It’s a jab/joke, this team has been bad for quite some time now. With the same glaring need each off season. What do you expect?

This board pretty much all agreed that we needed 2 pitchers this off-season. Snell, Darvish, Bauer Gray, Marquez were the names being thrown around. This board all agreed that this was the year it made the most sense for Arte to spend. That the AL West was ours for the taking. 

Actually, you can spin the offseason so far both ways. No team in the AL West has improved enough to be way ahead of the other teams. The fact that Arte hasn't taken advantage so far sucks but since other division teams owners also haven't taken advantage means you can choose to be positive about the additions the Angels have made and are probably still not done. Your definition of thrilled is also different than other posters here.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It doesn’t seem to me that there’s a starting pitcher that they’ll be developing coming soon that can significantly impact the quality of the rotation. 

Ooh this is gonna trigger the fuck out of Scotty.

But we have Chris Rodriguez who has all the potential to be a #1. Detmers I'm not so sure about but he'll be in Anaheim next year, barring something catastrophic.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But we have Chris Rodriguez who has all the potential to be a #1. Detmers I'm not so sure about but he'll be in Anaheim next year, barring something catastrophic.

And that guy that was an asshole in high school.

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

No not thrilled but they’ve said all along they will get two starters.  

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I know there’s interesting guys.  Rodriguez is a fun prospect but he’s also a guy that’s barely pitched in 3 years.  I don’t give a shit what Scotty says.  Of course high hopes for Detmers.  Still doesn’t seem like this commitment to Trout we kept hearing about. 

Also, if the Angels were “never” a good fit for Bauer, why wasn’t this published 2 months ago? The premise of the article in combination with the timing doesn’t make any sense.

As to her saying all the Angels’ top prospects are high risk, not even sure what that means. I suppose they are high risk, but no more high risk than any other prospect except for maybe the top 2 or 3. And I doubt any team is demanding a top 2 or 3 prospect for a starter, unless she’s talking about guys like Castillo, who were likely never available anyway.

5 minutes ago, ADHB said:

Also, if the Angels were “never” a good fit for Bauer, why wasn’t this published 2 months ago?

Yeah. The article is stated as if everyone should've known this, yet an article indicating such was never posted before today.