• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

LOL The 3rd beat writer for the LAT behind Fletcher and Fabiano 

I wouldn’t say behind anymore. She obviously knows someone. She tried to tell us all as much last week. 

She waited until it was safe to put out the article and with Matz being dealt, now was the time

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

She could be right. But her reasoning, "the money" and calloway" dont seem any more true than "the angels need an ace" and "they can afford him".

I think all these people are just guessing... like we are.

Like @ettin has spent years on years proposing moves that make total sense. Gets our hopes up, and is always wrong. Hes gotta be smarter than this lady, with his background and all. (No offense @ettin)

The article mentions that the relationship between Bauer and Calloway is beyond repair.

If that is true, then I have to imagine for Bauer, that is a very significant issue, no?  If he feels he can't work with Calloway, Bauer likely wouldn't want to come here unless he had absolutely no choice, or unless the Angels absolutely destroyed all of the other offers he got.  And it appears the latter was never going to happen.

MT's article feels like she's being used as a mouthpiece for the team: IOW, "Bauer isn't happening. Don't get mad at us when it doesn't."

I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Money was always likely to not be there. 

Still, it'll be hilarious to read the responses whenever he signs. 

Angels fans: He costs waaaay too much. I wouldn't give him half that much.

Angels fans: Geez, look how much it cost to trade for that guy.

Also Angels fans: Our GM is a failure. He can't bring in pitching.

You guys are so adorable.

Yeah, sounds to me like someone in the organization gave her the go ahead to publish this now that they know they’re out on Bauer. This way, they can say that they were never in on him so the fans don’t get as disappointed when he signs elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

MT's article feels like she's being used as a mouthpiece for the team: IOW, "Bauer isn't happening. Don't get mad at us when it doesn't."

I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Money was always likely to not be there. 

Still, it'll be hilarious to read the responses whenever he signs. 

Angels fans: He costs waaaay too much. I wouldn't give him half that much.

Angels fans: Geez, look how much it cost to trade for that guy.

Also Angels fans: Our GM is a failure. He can't bring in pitching.

You guys are so adorable.

The hiring of Minasian likely signified the direction Arte wanted to head in.

Minasian has worked for teams that draft well, develop talent well, and typically don't make large free agent signing, but rather, calculated, short-term risks.

Given Arte chose Minasian, it showed he wanted someone who could help build t his team from the ground up, not someone who will hand out mega contracts in free agency.

We will probably see another short-term deal, a la Quintana.

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

That could be as well. I know of a team that would use a beat writer like that. That person actually moved to LA to cover a team.

With that though, this person knew a lot about the team and I’m sure Maria does as well. 

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The hiring of Minasian likely signified the direction Arte wanted to head in.

Minasian has worked for teams that draft well, develop talent well, and typically don't make large free agent signing, but rather, calculated, short-term risks.

Given Arte chose Minasian, it showed he wanted someone who could help build t his team from the ground up, not someone who will hand out mega contracts in free agency.

We will probably see another short-term deal, a la Quintana.

Certainly seems like you’re right.

Which also explains why we didn’t see them trade any prospects for a TOR pitcher either. 

Looks like we’re going the Eppler route possibly for the next 2 years, let the system build and let the Pujols/Upton contracts come off the books.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Which also explains why we didn’t see them trade any prospects for a TOR pitcher either. 

Looks like we’re going the Eppler route possibly for the next 2 years, let the system build and let the Pujols/Upton contracts come off the books.

You speak like the off season is over.  

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

While it can be deemed the "Eppler route," my hope is Minasian is significantly better in terms of finding value and diamonds in the rough.

Eppler's failing was he signed FA SPs that not only weren't average, but they were downright awful.  If Minasian can "go the Eppler route" but actually find average/above average SPs, that'll help significantly.

Only time will tell, but I feel Quintana, on a 1 year deal, is a significantly better find than any of the 1 year deal SPs Eppler signed.

Angels probably would rather work the trade market for an arm but haven't been able to line things up yet with certain teams who aren't willing to make a move at this stage in the season. Think we see the Angels sign another FA SP on a short-term deal and then we see them active in the trade market midseason for a SP

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You speak like the off season is over.  

The offseason certainly isn't over, and there are still rather good options out there (Paxton, Odorizzi, etc), but I think the "big splashy move" concept is probably over, and that's actually probably for the best.

Long-term contracts to FA SPs rarely work out well.  We already have a lot of big deals.  Yes, Pujols and Upton are almost done, but we do have Trout and Rendon signed to gigantic deals.  We likely don't want to add a 5-6 year mega deal to a FA SP.

I'm content signing Paxton and getting a solid stop-gap RF, like Joc Pederson.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What a horrible precedent 

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

Bad decision. 

I am not suggesting this. Just wondering if that is the only thing holding up a deal with coming to Anaheim and if he told Arte he would sign if they got a different pitching coach. For example, the Angels offered a contract he liked but he is adamant about not playing for Callaway and they are choosing Callaway over him.