• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

From Jon Morosi: "The Angels are looking to sign a starting pitcher, but Bauer and the team’s pitching coach, Mickey Callaway, had noted philosophical differences while together on the Indians. Bauer and Callaway have communicated since Callaway left the team to manage the Mets, but it’s unclear if the two have reached a point where they are enthusiastic about working with one another again."

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-free-agent-market-after-dj-lemahieu-deal

If the Angels only have 10-15m to spend, they aren't getting two pitchers. They're getting maybe one. 

The fact that they were supposedly considering Realmuto on some level and looking at Contreras in addition to bringing in two pitchers, however, suggests Arte may be open to spending more. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

If the Angels only have 10-15m to spend, they aren't getting two pitchers. They're getting maybe one. 

The fact that they were supposedly considering Realmuto on some level and looking at Contreras in addition to bringing in two pitchers, however, suggests Arte may be open to spending more. 

Arte has said before that he operates by budget, not luxury tax.  I think Brent was specifically referring to luxury tax.

Right now, we are roughly 20mil below what we spent last year per Cot's (or rather, were projected to spend had we had a full season), which includes an estimated 2.9mil for Ohtani.  Going by Arte's word, that means we have at least 20mil to spend.  I would think perhaps 25mil is probably more likely, assuming he increases budget by a modest amount, which should be enough to get 2 pitchers, especially if we get one via trade.

Musgrove, who will earn less than 5mil, seems like a good target, which would still leave a good amount leftover for a FA SP signing, or even a FA SP + corner LHH OF.  Lots of options available with the payroll we have.   Again, it just means we likely aren't adding Bauer.

51 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Arte has said before that he operates by budget, not luxury tax.  I think Brent was specifically referring to luxury tax.

Right now, we are roughly 20mil below what we spent last year per Cot's (or rather, were projected to spend had we had a full season), which includes an estimated 2.9mil for Ohtani.  Going by Arte's word, that means we have at least 20mil to spend.  I would think perhaps 25mil is probably more likely, assuming he increases budget by a modest amount, which should be enough to get 2 pitchers, especially if we get one via trade.

Musgrove, who will earn less than 5mil, seems like a good target, which would still leave a good amount leftover for a FA SP signing, or even a FA SP + corner LHH OF.  Lots of options available with the payroll we have.   Again, it just means we likely aren't adding Bauer.

I would like to think this ends up the case but it's hard to predict.  Can you imagine this place if Arte decides to back track from his previous statement of payroll not going down?  oh my.  

Catchers: They're basically set, with Stassi, Suzuki and Bemboom, and then Graterol and Kruger in an emergency.

Infield: Set.

Outfield: While some have speculated they'll sign a RFer, I don't think it is necessary. They can fill the spot with Ward, Schebler, and maybe Walsh until Marsh/Adell is ready. Pillar would be nice, but is $5M+ they don't really need to spend.

Rotation: They need a guy, maybe two, but I think one guy is enough.

Bullpen: They could probably use one or two more, but could also flesh it out with depth starters. 

So they needs are down to:

1-2 starters

0-2 relievers

That's pretty much it. I expect Bauer to get somewhere in the 5-7 year, $30-33M range (so, $5/165 to 7/$210).  It could be back-loaded so it is $20M in 2021, $25M in 2022 (Pujols gone), and $35M the remaining years (Upton gone). Or something like that. But assuming $20M in 2021, that gives the Angels about $5M to get either a depth starter or a could solid relievers.

From what I can tell, the Angels have somewhere between $15M to $20M left to spend before they reach last year's payroll (before salaries were pro-rated).

Arte could opt to give Minasian more money to work with, but I'm not counting on it.

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Catchers: They're basically set, with Stassi, Suzuki and Bemboom, and then Graterol and Kruger in an emergency.

Infield: Set.

Outfield: While some have speculated they'll sign a RFer, I don't think it is necessary. They can fill the spot with Ward, Schebler, and maybe Walsh until Marsh/Adell is ready. Pillar would be nice, but is $5M+ they don't really need to spend.

Rotation: They need a guy, maybe two, but I think one guy is enough.

Bullpen: They could probably use one or two more, but could also flesh it out with depth starters. 

Minasian himself acknowledged the Angels could use some OF depth, so I think they may add to the outfield.

Also, I think the bullpen still needs A LOT of work. They need to add both proven arms and depth in the pen, IMO.

39 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Minasian himself acknowledged the Angels could use some OF depth, so I think they may add to the outfield.

Also, I think the bullpen still needs A LOT of work. They need to add both proven arms and depth in the pen, IMO.

My point is that OF depth isn't a huge priority. Starting pitching is.