• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

20 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Sure, but the counter is the baggage of players the Angels have had no problem employing. 

Josh Hamilton
Vernon Wells
Jose Guillen

2 of those 3 wouldn't have been worth their contracts from day 1 even if they were the nicest humans that ever lived.

Guillén was a victim of his issues.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, Blarg said:

Moving Jones from center field to 2nd base messed with his hitting as well. At Inland in 2018 it wasn't as much as a swing change as it was spending so much time learning a complex position that required teamwork and split second timing.

His fielding was poor, footwork all wrong, coverage on balls up the middle, who covers, exchange on double plays, when to clear out to let the SS handle it alone, all of these were not instinctive skills. I talked to him a couple times after games and it was obvious he was struggling to adapt and since the game is all about confidence it carried over to the batters box. 

I felt they moved him to AA too soon that year. His bat never came around and the game looked like it was moving too fast for him on the field. He worked his butt off the better himself at the position and along the way, I'm sure you are right, the launch angle approach was tried and a complete failure. Some players are the hitters they are. Jones has a pretty nice swing when he approaches the at bat for ball control rather than power. 

Like most of the Angels younger talent in the minors he is at an age he can still break out. Losing a year to Covid only stalled his advancement but I think he can still make the majors by 25. 

Probably the most detailed summary of Jones' struggle in the upper minors that I've seen. 

The launch angle revolution appears to be losing stream thankfully. Some guys it helps, some it doesn't. It hurt Jones and Ward, helped Thaiss and Walsh.

It's worth trying, but not worth changing everything you've adopted throughout a lifetime of baseball.

Bauer headache
3:23
I just don't think Bauer is worth all this attention and holding up the market. Am I wrong?

Steve Adams
3:25
I don't think Bauer is holding up the market. As for whether he's worth the attention -- you can draw your own conclusions about how he conducts himself and his desire to build himself and Momentum as a brand.

But as an actual pitcher, he's a lot better than most fans give him credit for. As I said earlier, I don't care what Bauer did when he was 24-26 and figuring out how to pitch in the Majors. He has clear ace-caliber stuff, two ace-caliber seasons in the past three years and a strong overall track record over the past half-decade. Maybe he's not a Cy Young contender every year, but he's a pretty clear No. 1/2 starter to me, and his openness to a short-term, high-AAV contract makes him particularly interesting.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:
Bauer headache
3:23
I just don't think Bauer is worth all this attention and holding up the market. Am I wrong?

Steve Adams
3:25
I don't think Bauer is holding up the market. As for whether he's worth the attention -- you can draw your own conclusions about how he conducts himself and his desire to build himself and Momentum as a brand.

But as an actual pitcher, he's a lot better than most fans give him credit for. As I said earlier, I don't care what Bauer did when he was 24-26 and figuring out how to pitch in the Majors. He has clear ace-caliber stuff, two ace-caliber seasons in the past three years and a strong overall track record over the past half-decade. Maybe he's not a Cy Young contender every year, but he's a pretty clear No. 1/2 starter to me, and his openness to a short-term, high-AAV contract makes him particularly interesting.

Not sure on the first point. While Bauer is likely to have few serious suitors (2-4 at most, I should think), there are teams still waiting on him before committing to a secondary option. Those secondary options are looking for more suitors, so they may be waiting on Bauer. 

As to the second, I think he's absolutely right and I think Angels fans are ignoring this by putting too much emphasis on 2019. Look back at the post where I quoted from Feinsand's mlb.com article. He was playing through an injury in 2019 and his last three years overall are still *really* good. 

I'm not sure he's worth the highest aav ever, even allowing for prices naturally rising each year and the fact he'll be getting fewer years. At the same time, Angels fans thinking he's only worth 4-5 years at 25 are delusional. Not only is he virtually certain to get a minimum of 150 (probably 180 or more, and 200+ is not impossible), he is also worth that much based on what he's shown over the last three seasons. 

At some point, we have to be willing to overpay to actually acquire genuine pitching talent or stop crapping on the front office for buying scraps. Doing both is just unrealistic. 

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Most I would offer is 4 years/$120 million with a 5th year option.

Take it or leave it.

Minasian needs to act soon, with ST closing in.

Club option, right?  

4/120 kinda makes me want to puke - so, guess that's probably the right number 🙂

It's an overpay, except our alternatives are too costly - for all the progress in the farm, it's not exactly overflowing with talent ...

21 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Club option, right?  

4/120 kinda makes me want to puke - so, guess that's probably the right number 🙂

It's an overpay, except our alternatives are too costly - for all the progress in the farm, it's not exactly overflowing with talent ...

Right, club option

A friend who keeps up with MLB in total mentioned that 4 years/$128 million with a team option that includes $8 million buyout was as far as they would go.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Right, club option

A friend who keeps up with MLB in total mentioned that 4 years/$128 million with a team option that includes $8 million buyout was as far as they would go.

That sounds about right - he might get more - but I feel like he'd have to get it somewhere else.  And not knowing the club finances in the out years, it *still* might be too much for us to bear.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Probably the most detailed summary of Jones' struggle in the upper minors that I've seen. 

The launch angle revolution appears to be losing stream thankfully. Some guys it helps, some it doesn't. It hurt Jones and Ward, helped Thaiss and Walsh.

It's worth trying, but not worth changing everything you've adopted throughout a lifetime of baseball.

I never liked the launch angle approach that removed 2/3rds of the field from play making it a game of over the line. I'd rather watch Rod Carew at bats then any more of the swing out of your shoes only to hit into the shift style baseball. 

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Do we have any indication on how accurate this has been in the past? Like, has this evaluation proven pretty accurate on what players contracts turn out to be?

Even if people are saying Hendriks was overpaid.  Their number and what he got was pretty close.  

This is actually the first time I've seen this number, so got me.  But in the past, pro media sites like this have been pretty close.  From looking at their numbers, they compare it to players with similar stats, age, etc.  So you know that's what teams are looking at also.  They aren't just going to throw a number out there because the player/agent wants it.  Which is why he's probably not signed yet.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bill+murray+super+bowl+commercial&qpvt=bill+murray+super+bowl+commercial&view=detail&mid=6A1818B5008D6B5743DD6A1818B5008D6B5743DD&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbill%2Bmurray%2Bsuper%2Bbowl%2Bcommercial%26qpvt%3Dbill%2Bmurray%2Bsuper%2Bbowl%2Bcommercial%26FORM%3DVDVVXX

Maybe the Angels can work with Bauer to write up a deal that works for both. 

He gets a record-breaking salary for a couple seasons, and it's backloaded significantly to allow other acquisitions this year.

Using the 4/$128 as a template..

• 21: $18m (allowing Angels to spend a bit still for C, SP, maybe RF/RP)
  • 22: $26m (essentially replacing Pujols' obligation)
  • 23: $42m (pulled this number out of thin air, basically $42,000,69 because Bauer is a weirdo)
  • 24: $42m (same)

He breaks a record for highest ever salary, Angels get flexibility this year. 
I'm not savvy enough on how opt-outs or signing bonuses could factor in towards either party beneficially, but perhaps there's room there as well.

Edited by totdprods