• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

5 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It sounds like it's not new but then again your suggestion is more of an option 3 which I believe that's what we've all been talking about. 

Bauer then trade for someone is an option 3 which I prefer as well. 

And to agree with you, yes I'd rather have the Bauer option and not the lower level / multiple guys option.

I don't believe it is. The question regards allocation of money. If Bauer isn't putting all your eggs in one basket, who the hell is? But Bauer doesn't mean we literally have zero money for anything else. It just means there are no more 10m(+) options. Any other holes in the roster will have to be filled at league minimum or close. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don't believe it is. The question regards allocation of money. If Bauer isn't putting all your eggs in one basket, who the hell is? But Bauer doesn't mean we literally have zero money for anything else. It just means there are no more 10m(+) options. Any other holes in the roster will have to be filled at league minimum or close. 

Not to mention since Arte looks at payroll as year to year and not the tax hit of the average, if you sign him and he takes less in year one, say $15 million, you can still add other pieces. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

I don't think there's a single owner/team that is going to increase payroll in any significant fashion this winter. And since the Angels manager and front office have been clear on the need for two starters, and a RF, I don't picture one of them being Bauer. Trevor has done an excellent job keeping fans engaged with him on Twitter, but in the end, the Angels need more than just him. Will they have discussions with his representation? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, Bauer decreases the amount they can spend on the second starter.

And looking at what the Angels have on hand should help explain a few things. Bundy and Heaney will likely go 180+ innings, but beyomd them, they'll be short on innings, particularly in 2022 and beyond if Bundy and Heaney leave in FA. If Canning is healthy, he's probably more going to be around 150 or 160 innings. Ohtani will be handled extra carefully, so hopefully 120 innings. The bullpen, revamped as it is would be spent too quickly.

And without being be able to depend on Ohtani, the Angels need top talent in the rotation. The stronger likelihood here is that rather than spending lots of money Minasian will bite the bullet and spend prospects. Likely on Sonny Gray. It won't come together quickly as there will be a lot of interested parties, but I think a deal centered around Jordyn Adams (like Adams, Jackson and Yan) would be sufficient. 

Gray is available, and is probably good for 170 innings, something they'll really need. 

As for the second starter they acquire, assuming Sonny Gray as 10 million in payroll and they have around 20 million left to spend for probably four spots ( SP, RP, C, RF), my guess is they'll go the inexpensive inning-eater route and get Jose Quintana, probably for around 2/20. 

Beyond the two of them, they'll need address RF, and because the acquisition will need to cheap, but solid defensively and moved into a reserve role as soon as one of the kids are ready, I think we'll see Minasian bring in Kevin Pillar. He's a local product, decent clubhouse guy, good defensively and Minasian would be familiar with him from his time spent in Toronto. They'll probably get him on a 1/3 deal. 

Whoever the catcher is, will be in a partner role with Stassi who broke out last year. Someone in that vein of Avila, Suzuki, Wieters, etc... that will only cost around 1/3. 

The remaining reliever they get is a mystery, I mean no one predicted Iglesias and Claudio. But just a guess, it would be someone with late inning experience that they can get for around 4-7 million. Maybe Pedro Baez? 

In short, Bauer would be awesome to have, but spreading that money around between Gray, Quintana, Pillar, Suzuki and Baez (don't get too caught up on the last two) seems like the better team building route.

Nah.

Id still rather have Bauer. And if you really think we could get Sonny Gray for that.... lol

Now is the time for Arte to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to his desire to win. 

Like others have mentioned the market is there for the taking. As it stands right now the only thing Arte will ever be remembered for is the guy who wasted Mike Trout’s career. 

Quality AND quantity can be had this offseason. Do it.

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Now is the time for Arte to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to his desire to win. 

Like others have mentioned the market is there for the taking. As it stands right now the only thing Arte will ever be remembered for is the guy who wasted Mike Trout’s career. 

Quality AND quantity can be had this offseason. Do it.

I disagree with that being what he’s known for.  I could see bitter fans and illogical non fans thinking that way.  He can just as easily be remembered for ensuring the Angels kept a home grown inner circle hall of famer in an Angel uniform his entire career. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

We've been saying this since like 2015. 

Arte HAS put his money where his mouth is, he's just put it in the wrong places. 

He got Rondon last year. Gave Trout that massive extension. Re-signed Upton. Dude spends money

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I disagree with that being what he’s known for.  I could see bitter fans and illogical non fans thinking that way.  He can just as easily be remembered for ensuring the Angels kept a home grown inner circle hall of famer in an Angel uniform his entire career. 

We see this one differently but we know that already. 

I don’t overly care for individual awards and such. I’m an Angels fan and I just want to see them win. Trout could win MVP for 10 straight years but as an Angels fan that doesn’t do much for me unless they’re winning.

I enjoy watching Trout (obviously) but ultimately I want to see the Angels win. Unless that’s happening, meh.

22 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Anyone still questioning his willingness to spend or his desire to win hasn’t been paying attention at all - to put it nicely.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

We've been saying this since like 2015. 

Arte HAS put his money where his mouth is, he's just put it in the wrong places. 

He got Rondon last year. Gave Trout that massive extension. Re-signed Upton. Dude spends money

I know a lot of people seem to be expecting Arte to open up his wallet for Bauer but I still don't see it. Between Trout, Rendon, Pujols and Upton the Angels have more money committed for more years than I think any other team. If you go back through Arte's history I dont think we've ever had more than 2 top contracts at a time, except for right now when we have FOUR. Yes Pujols and Upton are coming off the books over the next couple of years but I think that was part of the calculation when Trout and Rendon were signed.

2 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Anyone still questioning his willingness to spend or his desire to win hasn’t been paying attention at all - to put it nicely.

I’m not calling him cheap. He spends for sure, but like TDawg said he spends in the wrong places or has invested in the wrong players.

I’m just saying with the market being the way that it is this offseason now would be the perfect time for him to go for it

17 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

We see this one differently but we know that already. 

I don’t overly care for individual awards and such. I’m an Angels fan and I just want to see them win. Trout could win MVP for 10 straight years but as an Angels fan that doesn’t do much for me unless they’re winning.

I enjoy watching Trout (obviously) but ultimately I want to see the Angels win. Unless that’s happening, meh.

Yea, to me there is a difference between a perineal MVP and a guy in the discussion for greatest to ever play.  

I think the only way the Angels sign Trevor Bauer if Arte decides that Bauer is the guy he wants. Arte has done that in the past and did it just last year with Rendon.

If Perry gets to build the team the way he wants to, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't sign Bauer and instead spreads the money around.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think the only way the Angels sign Trevor Bauer if Arte decides that Bauer is the guy he wants. Arte has done that in the past and did it just last year with Rendon.

If Perry gets to build the team the way he wants to, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't sign Bauer and instead spreads the money around.

Zero evidence for that, but you're entitled to your opinion. 

44 minutes ago, Trendon said:

while I think your first paragraph could be partially true, I doubt your second one is.  

I don't see Minasian turning down the opportunity to sign the best FA pitcher on the market and I would hope that he'd express it if he had serious concerns about Bauer being the right guy or the right fit.  

I would also bet that Minasian is fairly confident that he can find a way to make the rest of the budget work to fill out the team.  

I would also bet that it works kinda backwards from how we are thinking.  Minasian might have a way he think is better than going out and breaking the bank on Bauer, but that other way requires free agents to agree and/or the right deals to happen in trade.  

My point is that it's not either/or.  Signing Bauer is likely on the spectrum of options.  Maybe he's not plan A, but it might be that plans A and B have already come and gone.  

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

As it stands right now the only thing Arte will ever be remembered for is the guy who wasted Mike Trout’s career. 

Because he gave out bad contracts...you have to admit, he has spent enough money to have a better team.

5 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Zero evidence for that, but you're entitled to your opinion. 

I based what I said off reading into what Maddon said yesterday. Yes, it is my opinion, which is why I started the sentence off with "I think.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

while I think your first paragraph could be partially true, I doubt your second one is.  

I don't see Minasian turning down the opportunity to sign the best FA pitcher on the market and I would hope that he'd express it if he had serious concerns about Bauer being the right guy or the right fit.  

I would also bet that Minasian is fairly confident that he can find a way to make the rest of the budget work to fill out the team.  

I would also bet that it works kinda backwards from how we are thinking.  Minasian might have a way he think is better than going out and breaking the bank on Bauer, but that other way requires free agents to agree and/or the right deals to happen in trade.  

My point is that it's not either/or.  Signing Bauer is likely on the spectrum of options.  Maybe he's not plan A, but it might be that plans A and B have already come and gone.  

Maddon's comments yesterday made it sound like it could potentially be either or in some aspect. Now I don't think he meant Bauer alone vs. multiple players at different positions, but I do think he was indicating that signing one player to a big contract limits what you are able to do with the rest of the roster.

Of course Minasian views Bauer as a possible option, I just don't think it is the likeliest option. But that's just my opinion, and I could get proven wrong.