• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

I'd like to see Arte NOT sign anybody big this off-season.  Everything positive we've seen has mostly come from within and I think it will continue with this elite coaching.  We might turn out being kind of like the Rays and A's, where we magnify the talent we have and don't need to sign super stars every off-season.  Sure, maybe one reliable arm,  but splurging on an ace-like arm and with our luck it won't work out for the best.  And a 25-30MM pitcher will set us back payroll wise quite a bit for the future.  Arte needs to prove he's not just a man who parts with money but also a frugal investor in his ballclub's future.   And right now we have team chemistry that shouldn't be messed with.  We also have some talented arms in the wing ready to replace Teheran next season, one of them being Ohtani.

6 hours ago, Angel said:

I'd like to see Arte NOT sign anybody big this off-season.  Everything positive we've seen has mostly come from within and I think it will continue with this elite coaching.  We might turn out being kind of like the Rays and A's, where we magnify the talent we have and don't need to sign super stars every off-season.  Sure, maybe one reliable arm,  but splurging on an ace-like arm and with our luck it won't work out for the best.  And a 25-30MM pitcher will set us back payroll wise quite a bit for the future.  Arte needs to prove he's not just a man who parts with money but also a frugal investor in his ballclub's future.   And right now we have team chemistry that shouldn't be messed with.  We also have some talented arms in the wing ready to replace Teheran next season, one of them being Ohtani.

I agree with you on spirit, man, but I think we have seen the ideal approach is a mix and match of both.

Ideally, this is what Arte would do:

1.  Invest in a free agent who fills an immediate need in which we don't have internal options.  This would be Bauer, as he'd provide the ace we need, given we have little pitching depth in the minors (at least in the upper levels).  Sign him for 6/175, or something along those lines, and backload the deal so that it ramps up after Pujols and Upton's contracts expire

2.  Invest deeply and heavily in the front office infrastructure.  Either promote Eppler to President of Baseball Operations, or if he isn't the guy, hire someone like Slater from the Dodgers (he's their Director of Personnel Development and Scouting) - someone who is well-connected in a strong developmental organization and will build out a super front office.

Basically - he needs to toss money at our pitching, so that the team is competitive now, AND invest in the front office so he can build a contender for the future.