• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scoreboard Watching Thread

rafibomb

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Whelp looks like 2nd in AL West is our shot. We just need to tie.  Sweep the Dogs lets gooooooooo

One thing we need too - Mariners to lose at least once.

If the Mariners sweep the A's, they will hold the tie-breaker against us.

They have 4 games against the A's, so I suspect they will lose at least one of those, as the A's are still playing for seeding (though that doesn't mean too much this year).

Interesting subplot - let's say the Astros struggle against the Rangers.  Do you think the Dodgers, who assuredly have very negative feelings about the Astros, will "lay down" and essentially let us win, thus preventing the Astros from making the playoffs?

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Rangers and D-Backs for me

Lots of things to blame and whatnot, but in the end, it just didn't pan out.  Took some time to find who we could count on and who we can't.  Still - there's a lot to be optimistic about moving forward. A lot of positively trending young players. Our next GM (or Eppler, although I think he's gone) has his work cut out for him, but we do have a lot of good pieces in place to work with.  The key thing is, we just need Arte to let whomever he hires run the ship entirely (i.e., he needs to stop meddling in operational decisions).

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Predictably the Angels are 14-6 in their last 20 and the Angels currently have the 12th pick.  Do they even have a 1% chance at the post season lol.  Some shit never changes lol. 

From afar I do agree that you can say that some shit never changes but if you look closer it really could be different this time around. The last few years we have seen ourselves in this situation I don't recall being this hopeful for the next season. For one, if this were not a shortened season, this team would definitely be on its way to a playoff appearance. Also I don't remember any younger players perform as well as they are right now to close out a season. You look at Ward, Walsh, Canning, Sandoval and to an extent Stassi show up the way they did and the outlook for next season is completely different. Even Justin Upton catching fire to end the season makes a huge difference. I would rather the season play out this way than all of our players shitting the bed to close out the season. If our players tank we go into the offseason with limited payroll and so many holes to fill that a top 5 pick won't solve in the short-term. Now, as posted by @Angelsjunky, we potentially have cost-controlled regulars that give us so much flexibility heading into the offseason. If we tanked the season we would have question marks on 1st base, right field, left field, 2nd base, catcher, the rotation and the bullpen heading into next season. 

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

One thing we need too - Mariners to lose at least once.

If the Mariners sweep the A's, they will hold the tie-breaker against us.

They have 4 games against the A's, so I suspect they will lose at least one of those, as the A's are still playing for seeding (though that doesn't mean too much this year).

Interesting subplot - let's say the Astros struggle against the Rangers.  Do you think the Dodgers, who assuredly have very negative feelings about the Astros, will "lay down" and essentially let us win, thus preventing the Astros from making the playoffs?

Dodgers wanting Houston out..... never thought of that lol

Actually, the Astros magic number over the Angels is 2.  Angels go to the playoffs if they end up tied because the Angels won the season series  

Angels also would win a tiebreaker against Toronto.

Mariners would win a tiebreaker against the Angels 

I still dont know what happens if there's a multi way tie.  

4 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Ok. So if the Astros lose their last four games at Texas and the Angels win their last three at Chavez Ravine then the Angels are in the postseason.

Highly unlikely but possible.

If they end up tied with Houston is there a one game playoff? Not sure how that works.

4 hours ago, ScottT said:

Actually, the Astros magic number over the Angels is 2.  Angels go to the playoffs if they end up tied because the Angels won the season series  

Angels also would win a tiebreaker against Toronto.

Mariners would win a tiebreaker against the Angels 

I still dont know what happens if there's a multi way tie.  

To address both -

The Angels can get in IF:

1.  They go 3-0 AND the Astros go 1-3 or 0-4.  *IF* the Astros go 0-4, the Mariners must lose once, too - otherwise, the Angels and Mariners tie, and the Mariners get in on a tie-breaker

2.  They go 2-1 AND the Astros go 0-4.

If there is a 3-way tie, we get the tiebreaker, 100% guaranteed.  However, if we tie with the Mariners (which would require us to go 3-0, the Mariners 4-0, and the Astros 0-4), then we don't get in.

As infinitesimal as our chances are, the odds of us and the Mariners tying for first is even smaller than that, as it would require 3 sweeps to get there.