• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Padres vs Angels (9/23/2020)

John Taylor

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've been a big proponent of Sandoval, and see him as a potential solid #3 (if healthy), or a strong #4.

Since about his third start I thought he’d be best in pen. 

Seems to be a little too prone to big innings, losing mechanics, or letting the mental part get to him. I wouldn’t complain one bit if he was used as a two-inning reliever starting in ‘21. We need the help there too.

Barria and Detmers can hold it down.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Since about his third start I thought he’d be best in pen. 

Seems to be a little too prone to big innings, losing mechanics, or letting the mental part get to him. I wouldn’t complain one bit if he was used as a two-inning reliever starting in ‘21. We need the help there too.

Barria and Detmers can hold it down.

Same, I like Sandoval as a multi-inning left-handed weapon out of the pen.  His stuff seems to play up coming out of relief and he can be deployed at more opportune times.

While still incredibly remote, we hold the tie-breaker over the Astros and would hold the tiebreaker over the Blue Jays, too, should we tie with them.

If either team somehow loses 4 of their remaining 5 games, we can catch them if we finish this one off and sweep the Dodgers. 

Sweeping the Dodgers may sound difficult, but they have absolutely nothing left to play for - they have clinched the #1 seed.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Same, I like Sandoval as a multi-inning left-handed weapon out of the pen.  His stuff seems to play up coming out of relief and he can be deployed at more opportune times.

Yup - I like Yan and Rodriguez slotted into ‘21 relief depth too. Not sure either have the durability for the rotation. With Barria stepping up, Detmers close, and guys like Stallings or Warren lurking, there’s some depth in the rotation next year. I imagine we’ll add at least two SP of some form too.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yup - I like Yan and Rodriguez slotted into ‘21 relief depth too. Not sure either have the durability for the rotation. With Barria stepping up, Detmers close, and guys like Stallings or Warren lurking, there’s some depth in the rotation next year. I imagine we’ll add at least two SP of some form too.

The way I'd like to see it..

FA SP (Bauer? Gausman?), Bundy, Heaney, Barria, Canning as our starting 5.  Ohtani may or may not make some starts.  Suarez can serve as immediate depth.  We can have Sandoval stretched out to possibly serve as SP depth, but as the season goes on, we can move towards utilizing him as a reliever, contingent upon other SP options emerging in the minors.

I see Yan as a reliever, although I'm not sure if he'll be ready in 2021, given he hasn't pitched above single A.  Same with CRod.

59 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Padres announcers still don't know about Clevinger. Maybe he's an "opener" so he doesn't work too much before the playoffs.

Maddon maybe wants to look at some people. Or use Barria against the Dodgers.

Barria would be used in relief against the Latriners, as Maddon already announced Heaney, Bundy, and Canning for that series.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Barria would be used in relief against the Latriners, as Maddon already announced Heaney, Bundy, and Canning for that series.

Welp, that's the way for us to attack it - with our best 3 starters.

The Dodgers will hopefully just mainly feature their B squad, as they rest up and gear up for the playoffs.  

So, we have to sweep, and hope that either the Blue Jays or Astros go 1-4 in their last 5 games.

Clevinger's playoffs could be in jeopardy

While there was initial concern within the organization of an elbow injury, two sources said that did not seem to be the fear. A muscle strain or tendonitis are the primary preliminary suspicions, both of which could still sideline Clevinger too long to be available in October.

An MRI has been scheduled.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2020-09-23/padres-mike-clevinger-injury-biceps-angels