• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let's say Dave Dombrowski becomes the next Angels GM

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

In an ideal world, I think all of the above are great ideas, but I suspect we'll sink almost every last dollar we have into pitching.

That said, given the likely glut of talent on the free agency market, I do think there'll be some opportunities to sign some solid veterans for very modest one-year deals.

My point in terms of citing Upton isn't so much that we can 100% count on him, but given his contract, he's likely going to play a lot, whether he's hot or cold.  Trout obviously occupies CF as close to full-time as possible, which means that RF is "open" (with Ward the favorite to start there).  I didn't mention it in my initial post, but based on Maddon's comments, I think there's a decent chance we see Ohtani get some playing time in RF, given his athleticism and history of playing RF in Japan.

That said, if I were to prioritize the positions/categories you listed (not including pitching), I think I'd say:  

1. Veteran 2B/SS/3B to possibly start at 2B

2.  Backup catcher, which pushes Bemboom to SLC

3. Backup OF

As for the minors - I think Adams will likely start at hi-A, then get promoted to AA sometime mid-year.  He's very raw, I don't think we'll see him in AAA next year.  

Ward’s .500 BAbip in September still has me a little leery slotting him into any regular role yet. He’d have to have a great spring and by that point you may as well have added a solid platoon partner for him. Plus, Ward can still see playing time elsewhere too. Having a platoon mate with him who can spot Trout in CF would be big too. 

I have a feeling Bauer will be too expensive for the Angels and they’ll have to settle on lesser pitching, and that’s okay. I think there could be a very deep free agent pool this winter and a lot of guys getting squeezed financially. Could be a lot of non-tenders and a lot of great deals to be had on both sides of the ball.

I actually think our pitching, while in need, is in good shape and won’t need much more than one solid-to-elite SP added (Stroman, Gausman, trade), a flyer on a #5 (think Porcello, Ray, Boyd) and maybe one or two cheap vet mid-relievers, even guys along the lines of Barnes or Buchter. I’d rather whomever comes aboard either plays it fairly safe, stacking depth with short-term vets and seeing how things develop, or blows shit up one way or another with radical moves to rebuild or compete. Not really interested in risky mid-range deals or questionable trades.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Ward’s .500 BAbip in September still has me a little leery slotting him into any regular role yet. He’d have to have a great spring and by that point you may as well have added a solid platoon partner for him. Plus, Ward can still see playing time elsewhere too. Having a platoon mate with him who can spot Trout in CF would be big too. 

I have a feeling Bauer will be too expensive for the Angels and they’ll have to settle on lesser pitching, and that’s okay. I think there could be a very deep free agent pool this winter and a lot of guys getting squeezed financially. Could be a lot of non-tenders and a lot of great deals to be had on both sides of the ball.

I actually think our pitching, while in need, is in good shape and won’t need much more than one solid-to-elite SP added (Stroman, Gausman, trade), a flyer on a #5 (think Porcello, Ray, Boyd) and maybe one or two cheap vet mid-relievers, even guys along the lines of Barnes or Buchter. I’d rather whomever comes aboard either plays it fairly safe, stacking depth with short-term vets and seeing how things develop, or blows shit up one way or another with radical moves to rebuild or compete. Not really interested in risky mid-range deals or questionable trades.

Yeah.  To Arte's credit, I do think he has a strong desire to win, and I don't think he'll refuse to spend this winter, which means we'll be primed to take advantage (to a small degree) of the talent pool we see, as other organizations who are more "bottom line" oriented will probably not participate.

Looking at our best relievers year to year, it's pretty clear to me that the best route to go in terms of relievers is to just scour the waiver wire and find intriguing talent.  Mayers, who has been one of the best relievers in baseball, was acquired via a very minor trade.  Robles, who was a lockdown reliever for us last year, was plucked off the waiver wire, etc.  Just so many instances and examples of things like that, and the worst thing I can imagine is signing someone like Hendriks or Treinen to be *the guy,* then watch him struggle but stick with him anyway due to his contract.

What's been great about watching Maddon's management of the pen is he, fairly quickly, moved on to the next option based on who was performing and who wasn't.  When no one in the pen earns a closer's salary, you can do that, and I'd prefer we keep that same model moving forward.

22 hours ago, Stradling said:

You can’t simply say it was all Arte with Albert and Josh.  Dipoto has a responsibility to be a voice of reason to the owner.  Also Dipoto certainly didn’t mind taking some of the credit for those signings when they happened.  

Sure, he got some say, but how much saying did he really have when it came to Arte? just look at the LAT article. It's an Arte issue. 

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

Sure, he got some say, but how much saying did he really have when it came to Arte? just look at the LAT article. It's an Arte issue. 

Or we can read the articles at the time of those acquisitions.  Or the ESPN piece about Dipoto and Albert. 

On 9/23/2020 at 11:23 AM, Stradling said:

Of course you will.  There are only so many jobs at the highest level.  You have Mike Trout.  You have Rendon.  You have Albert coming off the books.  You have an owner that is willing to spend.  Oh and you have the fact that GMs have a level of self confidence that allows them to see past an owners involvement. 

And a history of losing and chewing up GMs. 
I will say this though if someone CAN turn this franchise around they should be headed to the hall of fame, lol 

37 minutes ago, floplag said:

I will say this though if someone CAN turn this franchise around they should be headed to the hall of fame, lol 

If you look at Arte and you see a history of losing then I don’t know what to say.  Has he won a World Series, no.  But the team has had its highest winning percentage under his ownership.  It has been an awful 5 years and we all get that, but this team in the last 17 years has been pretty damn good.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

If you look at Arte and you see a history of losing then I don’t know what to say.  Has he won a World Series, no.  But the team has had its highest winning percentage under his ownership.  It has been an awful 5 years and we all get that, but this team in the last 17 years has been pretty damn good.

i dont argue that at all, you are correct, but as you say these last few years not so much.  in the last 13 seasons weve chewed thru 4 GMs.
I do not question he will spend i do not question we wants to win, but hes apparently been his own worst enemy in that span.  

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Stoneman is still employed by the Angels.  Reagins was around for four years, then demoted (fired).  Dipoto 3.5, he left.  Eppler is in his 5th year.   

He's lost one GM in 17 years as an owner.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, totdprods said:

Ironically, I think most of ideal offseason plan this winter (at least to me) is pretty in line with what Eppler usually does.

My shopping list:

• Get a cheap, stopgap defense-first vet 4th OF to a one year
  • sign a 2B/SS/3B vet to a one year deal
  • wait our the FA C market and sign the best vet to a cheap deal in January/February to platoon with Stassi
  • hoard as many interesting waiver claim/minor league free agent RPs you can find

I will note that Eppler isn’t always particularly successful with the moves above - but generally, he does well.

The big deviation from a typical Eppler offseason that I would add includes:

• a significant trade involving actual prospects for a SP
  • signing a FA SP that is actually productive 

Should Dombrowski get the job, I hope he still follows a list similar to above. Maybe he convinces Arte to put a little more $$$ up for one-year deal vets to fill some of those needs - 4th OF, MIF, vet C, #5 SP - with the intent of flipping them as the season continues on and they get pushed by prospects. In turn, those vets bring back some more prospects...for Dombrowski to inevitably deal away for bigger moves in the near-future.

We are wasting money on expenses we do not need.

We do not need a 4th outfielder.  We have Ward.  We do not need another catcher.  Unfortunately I am not confident with Rengifro or Barreto.

Edited by stormngt

35 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

I agree with you. I would be comfortable with the Angels going into 2021 with an outfield of Trout/Upton/Adell/Ward and with Stassi/Bemboom handling the catcher's duties. Spend the money on pitching and maybe 2B if you don't think Rengifo can be an above replacement level 2B. I think he can be. 

I wish we could extend Simmons.  However I doubt that happens after he opted out last week.

There’s no reason to not sign a 4th outfielder type.   They aren’t expensive and it wouldn’t be a big deal to release them once Adell proves he belongs.  A major league team needs three catchers, two up with the big club and a third guy stowed away at AAA in case of injury, the Angels have two.  If Bemboom is out of options then sign a catcher that has major league experience but is mostly a AAAA type of player.  
I actually liked what I saw out of Rengifo last year, and it’s tough to judge any player who’s struggled this year.  So if we start next year with Rengifo that wouldn’t be the worst thing.  

9 minutes ago, floplag said:

And how many are still actually GM?

Are you really asking how many of them are still the GM of the Angels?   Are you trying to make a point?  What if anything does that have to do with you making the statement that he's "lost" four GMs?   Less hyperbole more facts, the conversation will be more constructive.  

Despite your claims, he's had ONE "walk away" in 17 seasons... and that came after that GM tried to pull a power play and HE lost the clubhouse -- that's the reality.

I get your point man, it's a bad look but turnover in MLB at the executive position isn't exactly uncommon.  The Red Sox have had four GMs since 2012 when the Angels brought in Dipoto -- so have the Braves.   The Dodgers despite all their success have had two different GMs, three if you want to count Friedman who is the VP of baseball ops and acting GM as a third.   The Mets might be making their third switch in four years now that there is new ownership entering.   Those are the ones off the top of my head.   But the Dbacks have had some turnover there too.  

Rizzo, Beane, Daniels, Cashman.    It's pretty impressive how long those guys have managed to hold their jobs.  Props to them.

I think the reason it looks so ugly is they haven't been winning -- unlike the Red Sox and Braves for instance.   Winning tends to make all those things seem less ugly.

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Are you really asking how many of them are still the GM of the Angels?   Are you trying to make a point?  What if anything does that have to do with you making the statement that he's "lost" four GMs?   Less hyperbole more facts, the conversation will be more constructive.  

Despite your claims, he's had ONE "walk away" in 17 seasons... and that came after that GM tried to pull a power play and HE lost the clubhouse -- that's the reality.

I get your point man, it's a bad look but turnover in MLB at the executive position isn't exactly uncommon.  The Red Sox have had four GMs since 2012 when the Angels brought in Dipoto -- so have the Braves.   The Dodgers despite all their success have had two different GMs, three if you want to count Friedman who is the VP of baseball ops and acting GM as a third.   The Mets might be making their third switch in four years now that there is new ownership entering.   Those are the ones off the top of my head.   But the Dbacks have had some turnover there too.  

Rizzo, Beane, Daniels, Cashman.    It's pretty impressive how long those guys have managed to hold their jobs.  Props to them.

I think the reason it looks so ugly is they haven't been winning -- unlike the Red Sox and Braves for instance.   Winning tends to make all those things seem less ugly.

of course not, FFS really? Jesus H man. 

8 hours ago, floplag said:

of course not, FFS really? Jesus H man. 

You're the one that asked the pointless question...  What exactly are you peeved about?  A person can only respond to what you offer up for discussion.

"FFS, really?".  Grow up, dude.  Have fun stomping around being offended over someone having the temerity to ask you to elaborate on whatever the hell point you were attempting to make.  My mistake for even bothering.  

Enjoy your Sunday.

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're the one that asked the pointless question...  What exactly are you peeved about?  A person can only respond to what you offer up for discussion.

"FFS, really?".  Grow up, dude.  Have fun stomping around being offended over someone having the temerity to ask you to elaborate on whatever the hell point you were attempting to make.  My mistake for even bothering.  

Enjoy your Sunday.

and your response was if i was asking how many are still the GM of this club?  how was that anything other than argumentative? 
Whatever i should know better anymore. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

and your response was if i was asking how many are still the GM of this club?  how was that anything other than argumentative? 
Whatever i should know better anymore. 

Yes, I was asking you to clarify your question.   Its how adult discussions work, instead of assuming anything I asked what you meant.  You're in the wrong, the end.

Stop acting like you were wronged.

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So.... Last year it was rumored that Ausmus'j ob was on the line and the Angels wanted Maddon. That turned out to be accurate, weeks ahead of any official announcement. 

We've already heard about Dombrowski. 

How soon will he be hired? Hopefully sooner rather than be later.

Yeah, that's my guess.  A lot of smoke surrounded Maddon, and sure enough, he got the job.  Seems like the same thing with Dombrowski this year.

I just hope Dombrowski hires Logan White, or someone of that caliber, to help build the farm.

Regardless of what has or has not happened over the last 6-7 years, the reality is the Angels now sit inside a window where the goal should be to win a World Series.

So if the new GM comes in and trades away prospect capital to improve the major league roster now, fans should not whine.  Maximizing the talent at the major league level is the point.

Of course we don’t want to see Dante Bichette for Dave Parker.

But if you get specifically what you need for the major league roster to try to win now, and the trade is defendable, then fans need to roll with it and not cry about their favorite prospect getting moved.

I very much enjoy homegrown prospects making the majors and having an impact.  But this team needs pitching.

The next GM better have the balls to make the moves to get what the team needs.

Edited by Dtwncbad

mystery40.pngsportsguy24/7

6 hours ago

The only way Dombrowski comes over is if Arte backs off and let’s him run the show. Arte has been a hindrance from the get-go and he needs to allow the next GM to do his job. Dombrowski won’t take this gig if Arte wants to meddle.

• mystery40.pngangelsfan4life412

6 hours ago

they need somebody smart that is in the. tampa bay front office

• halohottie-96x96.jpgHaloHonk4Life

4 hours ago

That’s exactly what I wrote on one of the Angel facebook pages I belong to. Someone in the organization knows what they’re doing with a meager salary. And drafting players. I don’t want Dumbrowsky. He’s too old school. The game has passed him by. I’m wondering if the Angels had swept the Dodgers this past weekend would that have saved Eppler’s job?