• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels SS Andrelton Simmons opts out of the season

AngelsWin.com

With five games left in the regular season and the postseason the longest of long shots, Angels shortstop Andrelton Simmons has decided to opt out for the rest of the season.

The 31-year-old Simmons, who missed about three weeks with a sprained left ankle, will be a free agent after this season.

“I have made the decision to opt out of the remainder of the season. Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association developed an environment and system that empowered players and provided us the opportunity to decide on whether to play or opt out of the season,” Simmons said in a statement Tuesday. “At this moment, I feel this is the best decision for me and my family. We don’t know what the future holds, but we would like to sincerely thank the Angels organization and Angels fans for welcoming and making us feel at home.”

Simmons finishes the season with a .295/.348/.352 slash line in 30 games. He hit zero home runs with 19 runs, 10 RBIs and two stolen bases in 122 at-bats

“Earlier today, Andrelton Simmons informed the Club that he has chosen to opt out of the remainder of the season,” the Angels said in a statement. “This year has presented unique challenges for many and the Angels respect Andrelton’s decision.”

The Angels placed Simmons on the Restricted List and have added infielder Elliot Soto to the active roster.

Simmons came to the Angels on Nov. 12, 2015, with catcher José Briceño in a trade with the Atlanta Braves for Erick Aybar, Sean Newcomb and Chris Ellis. He had already won two Gold Gloves with the Braves and added two more with the Angels in 2017 and 2018.

View the full article