• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Besides pitching position needed to fill 2021

Angels 1961

I think the Angels go the budget route on any lineup needs. 

2B: Rengifo/Barreto, possibly Jones if he takes a big step forward early in the year. At most they'll sign a one-year rental and/or journeyman infielder type.

RF: Ward seems like a solid option until Adell/Marsh are ready. At most the Angels sign a 4OF/platoon type.

Catcher: Stassi seems solid, Bemboom a decent 3rd option to have, so they might sign a person to platoon with Stassi.

So we're talking about, at most, three platoon/bench types. I suppose there's a chance that they trade Rengifo or Ward or Marsh in a package for a pitcher, and then sign a better player to man 2B or RF, but those are needs created by hypotheticals. Right now they only need, at most, two or three bench players to provide depth and insurance.

30 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think the Angels go the budget route on any lineup needs. 

2B: Rengifo/Barreto, possibly Jones if he takes a big step forward early in the year. At most they'll sign a one-year rental and/or journeyman infielder type.

RF: Ward seems like a solid option until Adell/Marsh are ready. At most the Angels sign a 4OF/platoon type.

Catcher: Stassi seems solid, Bemboom a decent 3rd option to have, so they might sign a person to platoon with Stassi.

So we're talking about, at most, three platoon/bench types. I suppose there's a chance that they trade Rengifo or Ward or Marsh in a package for a pitcher, and then sign a better player to man 2B or RF, but those are needs created by hypotheticals. Right now they only need, at most, two or three bench players to provide depth and insurance.

For 2B I like free agent Ceasar Hernandez on a 1 year deal. 275 to 280 BA and a 350 OBP. He signed a 1 year deal with Cleveland last winter.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Bring back Stassi. Re-sign Simmons.

Defense is an issue, so mayyyyybe we consider giving Marsh a shot in RF. 

I think Stassi has several more years of team control, so I'm sure he'll be back.

I agree with Marsh.  If his defense is as good as advertised, then it's just a matter of seeing when his bat is ready.  He is likely our future RF, with Adell ultimately being a LFer.

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Ou position players are good enough. Even if Simmons is gone. The depth is fine in the outfield infield and at the catcher position. 

Yeah.  With the emergency of Walsh at 1B and Ward as either a utility player or RF, we have enough to be a good offense.

We have 2 superstars (Trout, Rendon) and a really good 3rd player (Fletcher).  With that in place, as long as the rest of the positions are average to above average, we should be good.

The biggest question mark is probably 2B, assuming that Fletcher shifts over to SS for Simba.  Otherwise, it looks like we should have a pretty solid group of position players, at least offensively.

Spend every last dime on pitching, and perhaps search for a very cheap option to play 2B as needed.  The free agency market is expected to be flooded, which means we can pick up some players at rather discounted prices.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think Stassi has several more years of team control, so I'm sure he'll be back.

I agree with Marsh.  If his defense is as good as advertised, then it's just a matter of seeing when his bat is ready.  He is likely our future RF, with Adell ultimately being a LFer.

You're right. Stassi is arb eligible next year and under control through 2022. That's great. Bemboom seems like a fine backup, though we can definitely do better...

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You're right. Stassi is arb eligible next year and under control through 2022. That's great. Bemboom seems like a fine backup, though we can definitely do better...

Yeah, I am fine with the Stassi/Bemboom combo, with Briceno being a third catcher in AAA.

It's "good enough," I suppose.  There are a lot of areas we can possibly improve, but given our acute need for pitching, I'd rather whomever our GM is invest almost all of whatever money is available to fix that.

I'm sure we can probably bargain hunt for competition at 2B or backup catcher, as needed.  Those positions tend to be somewhat cheap in terms of finding possible MLB talent.

8 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Looks like RF and SS unless Simmons is resigned. If Simmons is gone Fletcher could play SS then 2B becomes spot needed.

either re-sign Simmons or get La Stella back. Either Adell, Marsh, or Ward in RF.  We need to concentrate of pitching and only pitching. Make Trevor an offer he can't refuse. We need to trade whatever it takes from our prospects to get quality arms for 2021. It's not my money or my team but Moreno has run out time and excuses for not doing everything he can to fix the rotation and pen even if he has to exceed the tax threshold, with Pujols coming off the books post 2021 season, it would only be for a year.

-Either a 2B or SS to pair with Fletcher in the middle infield, which leaves Barreto/Rengifo as the backup middle infielders.

-A catcher to split time with Stassi and allow Bemboom to go to the minors and be the 3rd catcher if someone gets hurt.

-Another bat of some sorts who can either play 1B, 2B, SS, or the OF. This would allow them to have adequate lineup depth if they don't get the needed production out of Walsh, Ohtani, Upton, Ward, or Adell.

I don’t love the idea of going into next year with so many question marks: first base, second, short, right field, catcher. I think Fletcher can reliably take one of those, and I love what Walsh has shown. But I thInk we need one more dependable player to fill one of these positions. Bringing back Simmons might be the best option, IMO (though I realize we need to spend that money on pitching and more pitching).

Stassi isn't proven, having a veteran catcher would be nice as this looks like a small sample size improvement that Stassi probably can't keep up for a full season, but it's not the end of the world if the Angels don't get one.  Honestly the position players are all pretty solid.  Let Marsh, Ward, and Walsh start playing regularly next season.  An improvement the Angels can do is to stop playing Pujols so much.  A sub .700 OPS is not acceptable from a first baseman.  With the slowest running speed and a suspect glove, he's at best a situational pinch hitter.  

Even the Dodgers have holes.  It'll be impossible to solve every issue, but that said, we should truly just spend in the areas of most acute need and go from there.

Entering the offseason, we are obviously set at CF, 3B, LF (due to contract), and either SS or 2B, depending on which position Fletcher plays (betting it's SS).

It appears we have solid internal solutions at 1B (Walsh) and C (Stassi/Bemboom).

We have what appears to be, at worst, a stop-gap solution in RF in Ward, with two solid prospects (Marsh, Adell) likely soon to take over, which is the same that can be said about LF, too.

We are clearly set at DH (Ohtani, Pujols).

So all that really leaves is 2B, and I suspect we are likely to go with internal solutions there as well, given the plethora of contenders (Rengifo, Barreto, Jones, maybe even Thaiss, etc).

I think if we sign any position players, it'll likely be the "flyer" type, such that we have a low-cost gamble on a 2B or utility player.

95% or more of our financial resources this offseason should go towards SP/RP.

Entering next season, we could see lineups like this:

vs RHP:  SS Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Upton, RF Ward, C Stassi, 2B Rengifo

vs LHP:  SS Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, LF Upton, DH Pujols, RF Ward, C Stassi, 2B Rengifo/Barreto