• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joel Sherman: Dave Dombroski a name that comes up voluminously with Angels GM job

rafibomb

53 minutes ago, Torridd said:

He's had long enough, UTH. Let's give someone else a chance. The Angels shouldn't be this bad for so long.

My concern is that Arte thinks like this, and it’s completely wrong. It entirely under-represents the situation Eppler came into. He didn’t have the luxury of simply building from the ground up. He had to build from the roots while trying to stay competitive. That makes a five year plan basically impossible. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/09/angels-rumors-dave-dombroswki-general-manager-billy-eppler.html

Angels general manager Billy Eppler is in the final season of his contract, and with the Angels assured of a fifth straight losing season, multiple reports have linked the team to veteran executive Dave Dombrowski as a potential replacement. The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal calls the Halos the “most likely” team to make a switch at GM, adding that Dombrowski is the most frequently mentioned replacement option. Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times writes that the “widely held belief” is that the Angels are in for yet another front-office regime change and that the “industry consensus” is that owner Arte Moreno will pursue Dombrowski.

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

My concern is that Arte thinks like this, and it’s completely wrong. It entirely under-represents the situation Eppler came into. He didn’t have the luxury of simply building from the ground up. He had to build from the roots while trying to stay competitive. That makes a five year plan basically impossible. 

And he had to wait until he weeded out all the bad shit first...  

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

I wonder if there's some sort of hybrid outcome. I know it's very unlikely, but what about Dombrowski for some sort of VP of Baseball Ops, with Eppler still serving as GM?

I'd like to see it, but it's not going to happen. The Red Sox tried to that very same thing, and it didn't work out. The Red Sox hired Dombrowski as VP of Baseball Ops with Ben Cherington as GM, but then Cherington resigned.

Why are people all of a sudden convinced that if Arte spends and we trade our farm via Dombrowski that we will win a WS?  Every time we think we have a window to win it ends up being non-existent because we were in win-now mode and gutted the team and acquisitions didn't thrive here.  Since when has a win-now mentality for the Angels ever worked out? 

Why gut a system that has improved over the last 3 weeks more than any team in baseball?

Angels fans is why, a lot of you are complete morons.

I just don't see how Dombriski is the best choice? He is know to spend deep money in free agency (190-200+) and will depelte the system. 

I know people will say he has one ring, it's true. But he's only one 2 rings and how many years has he been a gm for? It took him 9 years for the Marlins to win, we can't do this. With the Red sox, he already had a good team, and there farm system had Monacada, Devers, Benintendi, Kopech, Espinoza, Chavis in the top 10. They had a loaded, and i mean a loaded system before Dave came in (1st draft was 2016).

I Rather us go for someone that works for the following teams and grab someone to be the gm.

Dodgers: Best develop (both Majors and minor) and drafting

Padres: Drafting!

Rays: look at the dodgers

Clevland: They can draft pitchers!   

4 hours ago, Torridd said:

He's had long enough, UTH. Let's give someone else a chance. The Angels shouldn't be this bad for so long.

I don’t agree man.  I think he took over an absolute train wreck of a major league organization.  I think the farm system had very little.  The Angels were in a far better position the last time they did this win now play.  Both in terms of major league depth and organizational assets.  And it didn’t work then ! And it’s largely why we’re in the decade of misery that we’re in now.  It’s a mistake to try push all in now.  That’s what Dombrowski does.  It’s his MO.  Now is not the time.   In my opinion.  

Eppler seems to have a good ethos around scouting and metric driven stuff.  I don’t think we need to run him out because of expectations that an objective view should understand were unreasonable.  Change for the sake of it can be bad.  I don’t think there’s a very compelling reason to go get Dombrowski.  The Angels aren’t close to a win now position.  As frustrating as that is vis a vis Trout.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

If Dombrowski is hired, say goodbye to Jordyn Adams, Jose Soriano, Chris Rodriguez, Jam Jones, Luis Rengifo, Jeremiah Jackson, Arol Vera, and Matt Thaiss..... And say hello to a bloated payroll and a World Series ring.

I want to win now, I'm 71 and don't have 20 more years to wait.

If Eppler is about to move on down the road, it will probably happen within minutes of the end of Sunday's game, if not earlier. The senior brain trust will probably have a name lined up, but might not say who it is right away. I expect it will be someone promoted from a lower position here or elsewhere, That could keep the costs down but maintain a contemporary knowledge base. Joe will probably get substantial input.

12 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

And the Dogs rarely ever draft early in each round.   Same with the A’s since 2013

Get with the program, Arte.   Bring in better scouting and development!   You’ve had SEVENTEEN years to do it.

Maybe, in some sense, he's beginning to realize this. As he did say recently (when talking about retaining Eppler & winning) that maybe he should "fire himself". If he was serious (could we get the lucky lol) maybe that's where, somehow, Dombrowski fits in...

I do not want Dombroski.  If Arte is willing to spend, let Eppler spend and not Dombroski.  This can easily turn into a Dipoto situation where he scorched earth the farm system and didn't even win a playoff game.  Stay the course, it's about to bear fruit.  Remember the 2000s? where the Angels won the WS and went to the playoff 6 times?  How did they do it?  A great farm system and some key FA signings and trades that worked out. 

The farm has produced Trout obviously, but Fletcher, Heaney, Pena, Ramirez, Barria, Marsh, Ward, Walsh, and hopefully Adell turns it around to match the hype he got as a prospect.  Solid cast. 

Key FA signings: Rendon looks as advertised.  Mayers a sneaky great waiver wire pickup. 

Trades: Bundy so far looks like a steal and badly gave what the Angels needed. Buttrey has filthy stuff but needs to put it together.  Stassi looks like a solid catcher with a developing bat. 

The last half of the season shows how well the Angels can play.  Get some pitching, stop playing Pujols so much and hopefully everyone else can put up their normal stats next season with a full and normal spring training.

17 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

You're asking the common fan to wait too long for success. Five years without being in the playoffs and probably 5 years straight being under .500. Eppler has not done a good job. Many owners would have fired him already rather than having him live out the contract. 

16 hours ago, Torridd said:

You're asking the common fan to wait too long for success. Five years without being in the playoffs and probably 5 years straight being under .500. Eppler has not done a good job. Many owners would have fired him already rather than having him live out the contract. 

Every GM makes mistakes. I'm not going to say he's done a perfect job. But given the situation he was put in, I think if you're going to blame anybody, blame Arte. Yes, he spends, but he also puts absurd restrictions on everything.

Houston and the Cubs were able to make an amazing turnaround because they literally tanked for 2-3 years.

The Yankees just outspend everyone.

The Angels? Can't rebuild because they've got Pujols and generally at least 1-2 other bad contracts over the last ten years, and Arte wouldn't approve moving Pujols, even if a GM could somehow do so. Apparently emptying the system and burning everything to the ground was Arte, because despite being as trade-crazy as anyone in the show, Dipoto hasn't done that in Seattle (or AZ for that matter).

Somehow Eppler gets blame for everything that's gone wrong, whether it's his fault or not, and little credit from the people who just point to the team's record over that time.

I really believe that Arte is 100% the problem. Now, if it's a case of Arte or the Pirates owner, I take Arte, because at least he spends, but the reality is that Trout was unlucky enough to break into the league at a lousy period of time for the team and Arte hasn't really helped matters.

I haven’t read through all this but I want to point out that the Dodgers basically do everything right and they haven’t won a title in 31 years. 

The Yankees haven’t won one in 11 years, and only one in 20 years. 

It’s hard to win the World Series. 

There is no such thing as making any kind of move, with a player or GM, that “gets you a ring.”

Seems to me the best way to get a ring is to have the most chances, which means being good as often as possible.

I think that would also be more fun as a fan. 

The Marlins won two WS but it seems like those didn’t really have a lot of shelf life with the fans after more crappy seasons. 

I don’t know the answer. I haven’t been a fan in a long time and when I did my team never won a WS. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

this really sucks to say, but if we had Skaggs in the rotation this year instead of Teheran, we probably make the playoffs.  

Doc, I'm not sure why he's been allowed to pitch so long in so short a season. I wonder if this whole season was just a test drive for the organization.

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I haven’t read through all this but I want to point out that the Dodgers basically do everything right and they haven’t won a title in 31 years. 

The Yankees haven’t won one in 11 years, and only one in 20 years. 

It’s hard to win the World Series. 

There is no such thing as making any kind of move, with a player or GM, that “gets you a ring.”

Seems to me the best way to get a ring is to have the most chances, which means being good as often as possible.

I think that would also be more fun as a fan. 

The Marlins won two WS but it seems like those didn’t really have a lot of shelf life with the fans after more crappy seasons. 

I don’t know the answer. I haven’t been a fan in a long time and when I did my team never won a WS. 

Forget winning the WS -- how about we make the playoffs one year?  Is that too high of a bar to set? 

You've got the best play of his generation and one of the higher payrolls.  It shouldn't be this hard to make it like once...or even come close for heavens sake.