• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward answer for RF 2021?

Angels 1961

Weren't you the one that wanted Adell to start this season as the starting Rf? what changed? lol. Just kidding.

Even with how awful Adell has played, I still see him be the starting Rf to atleast be the starting Rf. 

But if Ward can repeat, he'll be getting his at bats. I actually think this role Fits Ward perfectly. If he can Be Constant he could be a starter and if Adell struggles could over take him. 

Yes, I would like to see Taylor Ward get the majority of the starts in RF from here on out. 

Ward is slashing .290/.353/.772 but like Walsh something has clicked of late at the big league level as he's slashed .361/.410/.528 over his last 15 games and .526/.526/.737 over his last 7 contests. 

He's now doing what is on par with his last two minor league seasons, much like Walsh.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 5.04.42 PM.png

Keep in mind that Ward is an athlete with good speed and a strong arm, which profiles well in RF. Ward also offers some power, which he's shown in small spurts at the major league level (7 HR in 239 at bats). Ward clubbed 14 HR in 2018 and 27 in AAA in 2019.

I think Ward can hit.  Taking him off the catcher position was great for him and essentially saved an opportunity for him to have a major league career.  

He still looks like a fish out of water on defense but I think he's athletic enough to learn it pretty quickly with a good arm and more speed than I expected.  I think an off season of working his tail off just focusing on playing RF should put him in a position to take the reigns on winning the starting job.  

I also feel like we're gonna see more power from him over time.  

57 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If he keeps this up through the end of the season, I think you have Ward and Adell compete for the starting RF job in ST, with Ward having the edge coming into camp.

No way. I agree with the others here in that Adell may need another full season or two in the minors. 

He's got way too many holes in his swing and overall game.

Im not saying that Taylor Ward and Jared Walsh aren’t guys that could have a real place in this teams line up next year and beyond.  But I feel like I know better than to be sold on either based on the 60 something AB’s we’ve seen this season.  Walsh at least genuinely is smoking the shit out of the ball.  He’s definitely interesting.  And I mean, of course I hope it proves to be real.  Same with Ward.  Probably reasonable to pump the breaks on these two tho and observe a wait and see policy. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I'm not sure he is really the answer, but it's encouraging that he's drawing walks and not K'ing as much.  Just like Walsh, he's had a very nice September.

Ideally, I'd like to see Ward become one of those super utility type players, who can play RF, LF, 1B, and 3B.  With Rendon at 3rd and Walsh/Pujols at 1B, he probably won't get many reps there, but he seems like he'd be an ideal super utility player.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’ll just be happy if Ward can carry decent play into next season and thus achieve some level of tradable value.  Currently, he’s worthless.  Which is sort of a disaster. 

He was reportedly part of the Dodgers trade, along with Rengifo.  If the Dodgers were interested in him, then he clearly has potential, IMO.  The Dodgers are fantastic at picking up other teams' mediocre players and making them very good.

Maybe what they saw is what we are starting to see - a good utility player, which is something we could use.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think Ward can hit.  Taking him off the catcher position was great for him and essentially saved an opportunity for him to have a major league career.  

He still looks like a fish out of water on defense but I think he's athletic enough to learn it pretty quickly with a good arm and more speed than I expected.  I think an off season of working his tail off just focusing on playing RF should put him in a position to take the reigns on winning the starting job.  

I also feel like we're gonna see more power from him over time.  

As a fourth guy, sure.

52 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'm not sure he is really the answer, but it's encouraging that he's drawing walks and not K'ing as much.  Just like Walsh, he's had a very nice September.

Ideally, I'd like to see Ward become one of those super utility type players, who can play RF, LF, 1B, and 3B.  With Rendon at 3rd and Walsh/Pujols at 1B, he probably won't get many reps there, but he seems like he'd be an ideal super utility player.

He can also fill in as third catcher in an emergency

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Weren't you the one that wanted Adell to start this season as the starting Rf? what changed? lol. Just kidding.

Even with how awful Adell has played, I still see him be the starting Rf to atleast be the starting Rf. 

But if Ward can repeat, he'll be getting his at bats. I actually think this role Fits Ward perfectly. If he can Be Constant he could be a starter and if Adell struggles could over take him. 

Yes I was pushing for Adell and now we see he is not ready. Not giving up on Adell but Ward's play has earned him more playing time.

He's improving, but he's a long way from being the answer to any question. Its not like we are talking about him taking at bats away from Pujols. 

Marsh is better defensively. I still think Ward's lack of solid defense/position make it tough for him to be a full time player.

Ward's gotta show some power at some point, too... to be an answer