• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

tdawg87

9 minutes ago, Angel said:

Very true, I flipped the head on that bit**

But to directly answer your question 'inside Pitch'

I think 100 ABs is more than enough to know if a hitter is going to be lost or intermittent success showing improvement, and in a normal circumstance he would have been be sent down 50 ABs ago.  I think lost is a good word for his current situation.

I can relate to ADD moments, that was seriously funny.

Dude 100 is a tiny tiny number.   If that's you're litmus test fine, but in Adell's case he's had such little time at AA and AAA combined I think its way too early to put any weight in his showing this year.   I personally need to see him be able to pick up and hit the FB.  He's not MLB ready til he makes improvements there.

Like I said before he was called up... He hasn't proven he's mastered AAA...  But the physical ability is off the charts.

7 minutes ago, Angel said:

Football players have good physical ability too, doesn't mean they're inherently going to be good at any sport, let alone baseball.  Michael Jordan should have been good.

C'mon man...  The difference is Adell has actually been good at every level he's spent more than two months in.

I'll give you this.  Adell has one more opportunity to change my mind about how baseball players are judged on a hand eye coordination level, and his hands & timing suck so far.  Prove his hands & timing don't suck or he will improve that aspect of his game and he might be worth keeping around.  He needs to study Mookie Betts footage until he's confident he knows what Mookies timing techniques are.  I think the hands need to loosen up more and his body needs to move less, that's kind of what Walsh did.

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dude 100 is a tiny tiny number.   If that's you're litmus test fine, but in Adell's case he's had such little time at AA and AAA combined I think its way too early to put any weight in his showing this year.   I personally need to see him be able to pick up and hit the FB.  He's not MLB ready til he makes improvements there.

one of the things I notice (and forgive me if this has already been mentioned) is that he seemed to hit everything to right field. I don't recall any of his hits being pulled to left. I could be wrong, but that's something that struck me and might support the evidence about not hitting the FB well.

Just now, Tank said:

one of the things I notice (and forgive me if this has already been mentioned) is that he seemed to hit everything to right field. I don't recall any of his hits being pulled to left. I could be wrong, but that's something that struck me and might support the evidence about not hitting the FB well.

Identifying and pulling the FB is to hitters what K rate is to pitchers.  Possibly the biggest indicator of future success.  Adell isn't doing it yet.

44 minutes ago, JocStrapling said:

So was Brandon Wood, Casey Kotchman....

So were Tim Salmon, Mike Trout, and Jim Edmonds.   See how that works?  

BTW, Wood was 21 when he was in AA and played in a park that massively inflated offense..   Adell was 20 in a park that deflated offense and still posted a higher OPS.    They share a plate discipline problem but not a confidence problem which is what ruined Wood.  Also unlike Wood's big Cal League showing, Adell's hype hasn't been park driven.  

Kotchman can't really be compared to Adell, vastly different players, they might just be as opposite as two players can possibly be.  Kotch was hyped because he was so advanced, his plate discipline was such that people were willing to look beyond the mediocre physical tools -- Kotch was also a plus defender.  But it's worth pointing out that despite his being pointed to as this massive failure by Angels fans, Kotchman hit .274/.337/.426 as an Angel -- he was basically a league average hitter and because of defense, he was good for 5.8 bWAR his final two seasons in Anaheim.   Dude never recovered from being bonked in the head but he was used in a way Angels fans always complained they didn't do enough of -- he was traded for a proven MLB player.   Did you care what became of Kotch after he left?  I really didn't.

I WISH Adell had Kotch's eye and glove -- he would have been been the runaway ROY this season.

FWIW -- I was one of the few that wasn't in on Wood, all the predictive stuff was really ugly.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Brandon wood was not good at every level.  I believe he struggled in AA.

Nah he was fine, but people were expecting a lot more after the way he blew up in the Cal League and because the old Arkansas park was notoriously hitter friendly.   His first real struggle came at SLC where he posted an OPS over .800 but, the league leaders were over 1.000

On 9/27/2020 at 6:44 PM, Angel said:

I'll give you this.  Adell has one more opportunity to change my mind about how baseball players are judged on a hand eye coordination level, and his hands & timing suck so far.  Prove his hands & timing don't suck or he will improve that aspect of his game and he might be worth keeping around.  He needs to study Mookie Betts footage until he's confident he knows what Mookies timing techniques are.  I think the hands need to loosen up more and his body needs to move less, that's kind of what Walsh did.

this is the biggest load of pseudo scouting.

i'm sure adell is really hoping he can take advantage of both his last opportunity to change your mind and your incisive scouting.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, Stradling said:

It isn’t an outlier that a young player gets better over time.  It’s an outlier when they are successful when they come up to the bigs.  

exactly right, and they have a name for it to mark it's uniqueness. it's called the "rookie of the year". 

clearly, adell has much to improve on. it's been said countless times already in every adell thread this year, he wouldn't be up here in a normal year. he needs more time in the minors. the real problem is now they've started his clock when he pretty clearly needs two years in AAA, and at the very least, one.

33 minutes ago, ukyah said:

exactly right, and they have a name for it to mark it's uniqueness. it's called the "rookie of the year". 

clearly, adell has much to improve on. it's been said countless times already in every adell thread this year, he wouldn't be up here in a normal year. he needs more time in the minors. the real problem is now they've started his clock when he pretty clearly needs two years in AAA, and at the very least, one.

More like career minor leaguer with the build and brains of an NBA PG.  He will only prove how he is in the wrong sport.  Marsh is the future.

15 hours ago, Angel said:

More like career minor leaguer with the build and brains of an NBA PG.  He will only prove how he is in the wrong sport.  Marsh is the future.

my favorite part, that shouldn't go unnoticed by others, is the "brains of an nba point guard" part. i wonder what that could mean?

you know they have an extra muscle in their hips right?