• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Andrelton Simmons not thinking about future as he enters final weeks of Angels contract

AngelsWin.com

As Andrelton Simmons enters what may be the final two weeks of his five seasons with the Angels, he says he has enjoyed his time with the Angels, but he isn’t ready to start the campaign to return.

“I enjoy playing here,” he said. “I’ve had a good time. I made good friends. I like the city. But I know at the end of the day, it’s not completely in my hands. I know it’s a little bit of a business. While I’m here, I’ll give everything I’ve got.”

Simmons, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, said he is unaware of any extension talks with the Angels.

“Maybe my agent heard something, but not me,” he said.

Asked if he’s preparing for free agency, he said: “I try not to think about those things. You’ll go crazy.”

Simmons earned a pro-rated portion of a $15 million salary in 2020, the final year of a seven-year deal he signed with the Atlanta Braves before he was traded to the Angels.

If the Angels opt to let him go, they would likely hand the shortstop reins over to David Fletcher, who handled the position capably while Simmons was out for more than three weeks with a sprained ankle.

Allowing Simmons to go would also free up some money the Angels could use to shore up other holes on the roster.

However, the Angels could always have Fletcher play second if Simmons were to come back, and if they did that they may have more tradeable assets among their surplus infielders to use to acquire lower cost upgrades at other positions.

The Angels also could give Simmons a qualifying offer, which is expected to be somewhere around $18 million. If he accepts it, he’d be back at that price for one more year. If he rejects it, the Angels would get a draft pick as compensation when he signs elsewhere.

Attaching a draft pick to Simmons could also depress his value on the open market, because some other teams would be reluctant to give up the draft pick. That could make it more economical for the Angels to re-sign him on a multiyear deal.

In any case, a large part of the equation is going to be determining Simmons’ value as he approaches an age when most players can no longer play shortstop.

Simmons, who just turned 31, believes he can be the outlier who continues to play shortstop into his mid- and late-30s. Asked on Tuesday how many more years he can play at this level, he said answered boldly.

“Eight? Ten? I don’t know,” said the four-time Gold Glove winner. “You’ve got to believe in yourself, first and foremost. I know what I bring to the table. This year I hurt my ankle again. Not playing at 100 percent hurts what I can do, but I know what I can bring to the table every day. If it’s experiences, if it’s just being aware of what’s going on, if it’s making plays, I know what I can do. I know how to do it. I have no doubt in my mind I can play for a long time.”

THE HOT HAND

Taylor Ward got the start in right field on Tuesday night, the second time in the last four games that he started ahead of top prospect Jo Adell.

To manager Joe Maddon, it’s a simple matter of playing the players who are doing the best for as long as the Angels have a shot at the playoffs.

“We have to win right now,” Maddon said. “So quite frankly, I’ll probably go with the hotter hand. When you’re talking about getting to the playoffs, it’s just about at that moment, who is providing you more service? That’s what I’m looking at right now. All our guys have to understand it’s a meritocracy around here. You play better, you play. So that’s it.”

Adell has shown flashes of his talent, but mostly he’s struggled to the tune of a .159 average with 49 strikeouts in 121 plate appearances. Ward came into Tuesday’s game hitting .259, including eight hits in his last 14 at-bats.

View the full article