• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Take Down Eppard for Garret Anderson

It's the recurring circumstance to last year: Cindy's jumped off the seesaw with Bobby again. But this time, it's an impotent offense with good starting pitching while haven't hit lefties for you-know-what all season.

Altogether, reflecting an streaky lineup with a cruddy gameplan approach of giving into the pitcher too easily (let alone Houston Astros pitchers), as ailing Pujols and Hamiliton hit way below par.

I think maybe it's time to demote Jim Eppard and ask Garret Anderson to step in (who would carry over the Rod Carew tuteledge). It's not a bad idea with Hamilton struggling against lefties as it is.

In this day and age ... most players have their own personal hitting coach who knows their swing. I think it's the players responsibility to get their act together at the plate ... not the coaches.  I don't blame Eppard or Hatcher.

Nice to hear that Pujols was working with Trout through video on his swing.

In this day and age ... most players have their own personal hitting coach who knows their swing. I think it's the players responsibility to get their act together at the plate ... not the coaches.  I don't blame Eppard or Hatcher.

Nice to hear that Pujols was working with Trout through video on his swing.

Than why have coaches on the team. Seems like a waste of money to pay anyone other than the Manager and even then the players know how to play so do we really need a manager.

It's not about teaching, but maybe about communication.

I'm wondering if this coaching staff is just not very good at communicating found issues to the players in a way that they undersand it and put it into operation. 

You can try as hard as you can to help fix someone.    But if you aren't very good at communicating it, then it's likely not going to work.

Caught a few minutes of Dodger Talk last night and from the calls, you would think it was Angel Talk except having an experienced coach and Manager like Kevin Kennedy is infinitely more interesting than having your play by play guy. You would think he was talking about the Angels, not the Dodgers, but he said when you have to many guys on guaranteed long term contracts they get way too comfortable. In our case, you can  include the manager being way too comfortable as well and, arguably, he and the team has not performed with the same sense of urgency since he signed that 10 year deal. Unless there's a massive upheaval in the coaching staff and players, I guess we're just gonna have to get used to this for the next few years.

Personally I think a manager or coaches biggest role is motivation. Try playing a 162 game schedule with all the travel and tell me it is not a grind. We can all sit here and say they have millions of reasons to be motivated but in reality if the teams managment is mello and non emotional, then the players will be too. You need a mix of emotion and level headedness like oh heck how about the Rangers? Say what you want about Ron Washington but that man is passionate about winning and shows some stinking emotion in the dugout. This team has no spark, it does not have an Erstad or Eckstein. Someone somewhere has to motivate and it is not going to come from a young kid or a coaching staff like Scioscia's. Time for change.

I liked GA, but he was a hacker. Wy would you want a hacker for a hitting coach?

-Garrett Anderson has NEVER coached. 

-The rule of thumb with coaches is if they were good players they don't make good coaches (90% of the time at least)

Chili Davis is working in Oakland.  It's all about plate approach.  GA proved himself as probably the best all time Halos hitter, let alone player, with Rod Carew bringing him up.  For as good as GA was in his approach to lefties and how bad they are now, it looks to me like Eppard is probably not the solution despite Trout's success last year. 

If the hitting coach makes no difference with the vets, then put an ex-Angel player in there to bring up the youngsters as Carew did.  Chili Davis applied to the same scenario, himself, at the time.  Thus, Garret Anderson would be a wise choice. 

I don't think it's wise to have a hitting coach who had a career .324 OBP as a player. 

Throw OBP out the door.  We're talking about an ex-Angels player like Rod Carew himself.  GA's exercise after Carew's guidance is the bona fide qualification alone: 8480 Angels career plate appearances is quite the teaching dynamic.  

Throw OBP out the door.  We're talking about an ex-Angels player like Rod Carew himself.  GA's exercise after Carew's guidance is the bona fide qualification alone: 8480 Angels career plate appearances is quite the teaching dynamic.  

I just don't think he's the right player to have as a hitting coach.

And why throw OBP out the window? It's probably the most important part of a batter's game, outside of SLG% perhaps. 

Salmon on the other hand...

Has Eppard not been protected because of Mike Trout's emergence last year? The approach with the rest of the lineup is for you-know-what, especially with lefties. Most of the fire Hatcher threaders got him fired last year. What have they say about Eppard, though?