• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Jared Walsh the answer for 1B?

Angels 1961

We know he won't sustain this, but on the other hand, he's shown enough to fuel hope that he'll be able to sustain some of it. I think he might have a few .270/.330/.500+ seasons in him, which is better than we've had at 1B since the first few years of Pujols.

I also think Ward will eventually produce decent numbers of provide a solid--Goodwin-esque--option in RF to bridge the gap to Adell/Marsh in the OF.

1 hour ago, Fourts said:

....When was the last time this happened for the Angels?  How about Wally Joyner 2.0 (i'll take it!).  Fletcher wasn't highly touted and has turned into a great player for us.  But not a truly impact bat/arm.  Everybody else seems to have these guys (Dodgers WAY too many lately) except for us.  So why not us!?!  I refuse to hear otherwise....hands-over-ears nahnahnahnahnahnah (i'm not listening).

I had the same thought too but then I remembered Fletcher was a 6th round pick....he has outplayed that for sure but that’s a long way from the 39th round....and Joyner was a 3rd round pick....

This thread should be deleted because Walsh is guaranteed a starting spot next year.  He is also the hottest hitter in baseball, and when I said he's the best hitter on our team (almost a week ago) I wasn't kidding, he has to prove consistency but currently he is the best hitter.  Remarkable considering Rendon and Trout are in the same lineup, how are we so bad again?

2 minutes ago, Angel said:

This thread should be deleted because Walsh is guaranteed a starting spot next year.  He is also the hottest hitter in baseball, and when I said he's the best hitter on our team I wasn't kidding (well he has a lot to prove but currently he is the best hitter).  Remarkable considering Rendon and Trout are in the same lineup, how are we so bad again?

Ohtani, Adell, Rengifo, Sandoval. Luck, Teheran, Robles, Buchterr, Middleton, Milner, Quijada

Mainly defense and bullpen, but the back end of the rotation has been atrocious and certain hitters, too. Its been an all around team effort

4 hours ago, ScottT said:

Ohtani, Adell, Rengifo, Sandoval. Luck, Teheran, Robles, Buchterr, Middleton, Milner, Quijada

Mainly defense and bullpen, but the back end of the rotation has been atrocious and certain hitters, too. Its been an all around team effort

Right.  So for me, the key think is to go all-out and try to sign Bauer.  Signing Bauer will create a cascade effect on our rotation, and our backend of the rotation will then become Canning and Barria, which should be significantly better than what we're seeing now.

Sandoval and Suarez can serve as depth in AAA, as they work on their mechanics and try to generate better results.

8 hours ago, Angel said:

This thread should be deleted because Walsh is guaranteed a starting spot next year.  He is also the hottest hitter in baseball, and when I said he's the best hitter on our team (almost a week ago) I wasn't kidding, he has to prove consistency but currently he is the best hitter.  Remarkable considering Rendon and Trout are in the same lineup, how are we so bad again?

You made a good call- I like Walsh, not quite a man crush but it could get there.  How could you have fletch, trout, rendon and Walsh and be 10 games below .500

On 9/11/2020 at 8:04 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Yep. It might be a good idea to go budget at C, rather than spend an extra $5-8M AAV on a Castro/Avila type. Similarly with Simmons - as much as I'd love to see him back. Spending $24M or so on a catcher and Simmons is a lot of dough that can be spent on pitching.

We will regret letting Simmins go.  Our current catching duo is doing fine.  

Loss of Simmons weakens our SS defense as Fletcher is good but not as good, and weakens our 2b because Rengifro or Barretto are not as good as Fletcher.

If there is anyway we cam get Simmons for about the same as hiscost now and sign a frontline pitcher we should do that and call it a day.  

Arte needs to go over the cap for one year.

Edited by stormngt

Agree with going over the cap for one year, no draft pick loss (except for signing a FA like Bauer) and no int’l or draft slot money lost.  This is assuming Bauer taking a short term deal.

Can they re-sign Simba, sign Bauer, and find a couple of more Mayers on the cheap, and then stay below the tax threshold in 2022 with Pujols’ $24 million AAV off the books?

If not, Gausman is a candidate for being the 2021 version of Bundy.

No matter what, need to bring Simba back.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Simmons has been a great addition to this franchise and one of the few bright spots among FAs, he has certainly deserved being resigned, the question is do the Angels owe it to him?  I find his offense is slightly overrated by members on this board, his OPS is quite sub par, I don't value him much higher than 8-10MM/y as defensive can only do so much for you.  And we haven't exactly been winners with his around, however a lot of situations are out of his control and he seems to be a fan of this team as a player.  I really like the guy and hope to see him back next year at a discount.

If you obsess with hitters hands/wrists like I do (Bonds, L. Walker, Berkman, Blackmon, Sheffield, Vlad are some of the best) you would realize just how talented Walsh looks, he reminds me of a blend of All-Star hitters not limited to Lance Berkman/Daniel Murphy/Blackmon.  He's super loose and his wrist snaps very quickly and he is able to turn on the inside heat from lefties.

If you can turn on lefties that easily as a LHH, you are a God.  If I had his hands even I could hit lefties lol.  Let's pray he's not a major fluke, I swear to god if he fizzles out. 

3 hours ago, Angel said:

If you obsess with hitters hands/wrists like I do (Bonds, L. Walker, Berkman, Blackmon, Sheffield, Vlad are some of the best) you would realize just how talented Walsh looks, he reminds me of a blend of All-Star hitters not limited to Lance Berkman/Daniel Murphy/Blackmon.  He's super loose and his wrist snaps very quickly and he is able to turn on the inside heat from lefties.

If you can turn on lefties that easily as a LHH, you are a God.  If I had his hands even I could hit lefties lol.  Let's pray he's not a major fluke, I swear to god if he fizzles out. 

Wrists?  Tim Salmon says hello.