• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Jared Walsh the answer for 1B?

Angels 1961

8 minutes ago, Revad said:

I can see Walsh being in front of him, but Ward too?

I don’t think we’ll be spending any money on position players this winter....it should all go to pitching....Ward, Walsh and Thaiss may well all get chances next year....not the worst situation, they all have some potential....and they are cheap.....

Just now, DMVol said:

I don’t think we’ll be spending any money on position players this winter....it should all go to pitching....Ward, Walsh and Thaiss may well all get chances....not the worst situation, they all have some potential....and they are cheap.....

I think we re-sign Simmons. But other than that I agree. We have plenty of bench depth.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we re-sign Simmons. But other than that I agree. We have plenty of bench depth.

Simmons is the tough call....maybe catcher too....otherwise, it may not be ideal but, until we can get Pujols and Upton off the books, stay in house....

13 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Simmons is the tough call....maybe catcher too....otherwise, it may not be ideal but, until we can get Pujols and Upton off the books, stay in house....

It’s time to see what the farm did, add some pitching and this is decent team.  Fletcher, Rendon and Simmons?  Plus trout, I’m ok with that 

• Chuck changed the title to Is Jared Walsh the answer for 1B?

Not only is Walsh better than Thaiss defensively and officially a major league hitting threat .900 + OPS, (likely unsustainable this season but who knows?)  Walsh is also our only successful hitting LHH as it stands, in today's game Walsh was the ONLY LHH in the lineup.

Thaiss is dust in the wind.

14 minutes ago, Angel said:

Not only is Walsh better than Thaiss defensively and officially a major league hitting threat .900 + OPS, (likely unsustainable this season but who knows?)  Walsh is also our only successful hitting LHH as it stands, in today's game Walsh was the ONLY LHH in the lineup.

Thaiss is dust in the wind.

Thaiss is probably just as good as Walsh and he is two years younger.

I think we are probably seeing what Maddon envisions for them.  Walsh is now starting regularly at 1B and, as mentioned, was the only LHH in the lineup yesterday against a LHP, which is a huge sign for Maddon's faith in him.

Thaiss, it appears, is being force-fit into a super utility role.  He's played what, 1B, 2B, 3B, LF ... I don't know.  I think this offseason, they'll encourage him to continue to develop and practice in all sorts of areas around the diamond.

He has potential, but I feel they've asked him to try so many different things in a short period of time that it makes it hard to succeed.

For now, though, I'll say that it appears Walsh is close to earning a role as the strong side of a 1B platoon next year with Pujols.

Once Marsh is promoted next year, we should have some pretty good LH pop, with Walsh, Marsh, Ohtani (if his offense can be fixed), and Thaiss off the bench.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

.....For now, though, I'll say that it appears Walsh is close to earning a role as the strong side of a 1B platoon next year with Pujols.

If Pujols is still in the lineup next year, I think it would tell you a lot about the commitment to winning in 2021.....not bashing Pujols, he gets enough of that and doesn’t deserve a lot of it....but to continue to play any 40+ year old long past his prime, Pujols or anybody else, for wrongheaded reasons that deprive the team of a younger, better bat in the lineup, doesn’t show commitment to winning....sometimes commitment isn’t about spending money...Arte has done plenty of that....it’s about making a tough call....and sitting a Hall of Famer is a tough call....but it needs to happen...

On 9/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Walsh has shown some stick since being called up. If I were Maddon I'd tell Thaiss and Ward to pick up a catcher's mitt again and say, "Whoever can handle catching duties halfway decently has a bench job next year." Either one would be more valuable as a multi-positional OF/1B/C.

Ward is 3rd catcher on team when active.