• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Jared Walsh the answer for 1B?

Angels 1961

10 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

If Trouts atrocious defense continues he may need to move to first. -1.1 dwar now. 

I'm guessing this is sarcasm (at least, the 1B part), but that said, it seems that Trout will probably move off CF in the not so distant future.  When that happens, I would expect either Marsh or Adams (depending on how they pan out as prospects) to take over, with Trout kicking over to LF.

I still do think that Adell is our greatest trade chip that we should consider using to secure a top-of-the rotation SP prospect for many reasons.  Adell is likely a LF (not a RF) and Trout will probably shift over there sooner than later.  Marsh projects into RF with the ability to cover CF, and Adams projects as a really good defensive CF.  Ohtani even could be trained to play either RF or LF, too.

It would never happen, but I would try to use Adell to acquire either Manning or Mize from DET, or some FV60 type caliber SP prospect.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would be happy to be wrong about Walsh.  Before the last week or so I didn’t feel as though he was even in the class of Thaiss as a prospect.  Now I am thinking it goes Walsh, Thaiss then Ward.  

I don’t pretend to be a scout but I suspect Thaiss is still viewed as the best prospect of those 3, despite his struggles (small sample size this year for all 3, Thaiss particularly)....Thaiss is also the youngest...Ward and Walsh are 27, not young for a prospect.....

I’m not sure how much in reality of teams revenue comes from the tickets and in stadium sales but from a payroll standpoint for the next couple of years there is the question of when the stadiums will return to normal capacity.  Even when they do will people still be afraid to go.  This may affect teams revenue streams and ability to spend (though it shouldn’t for a bunch of multi billionaires)

19 hours ago, stormngt said:

Platoon the two.  Have Thaiss get some time at third and maybe outfield as well 

Ward is also putting together decent numbers.  Where do we play him?

Thaiss has failed to show anything in his many attempts to impress the Angels Front Office that he can contribute on a regular basis. The same holds true for Ward. Walsh may have slightly more value because of his power. I wouldn’t bank on any of the three making much of a contribution in the next few years. 

16 hours ago, Game 6 said:

If they pay Simmons $18 M next year they will not be able to effectively upgrade pitching. 

Losing Castro, Teheran, and Simmons was on books for 15 this and halos still had money to spend. Goodwin gone let some others go Robles and few others. They can find away with money if Artie wants too.

25 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

Thaiss has failed to show anything in his many attempts to impress the Angels Front Office that he can contribute on a regular basis. The same holds true for Ward. Walsh may have slightly more value because of his power. I wouldn’t bank on any of the three making much of a contribution in the next few years. 

Thaiss was fine last year.  He had over a .700 OPS in his first shot at the bigs. 

19 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Losing Castro, Teheran, and Simmons was on books for 15 this and halos still had money to spend. Goodwin gone let some others go Robles and few others. They can find away with money if Artie wants too.

Benboom is showing enough to possibly keep them from needing to bring back Castro.   Then they can offer Simba a 3-year deal at about $30-33 million total, and still have money for a Gausman.

Gausman is a candidate to be a late bloomer like Bundy, with ICWT’s tutelage.

Bundy, Heaney, Gausman, Canning, and Barria; with Detmers, Sandoval, and C-Rod waiting their turns.

Edited by Angel Oracle

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Thaiss was fine last year.  He had over a .700 OPS in his first shot at the bigs. 

First Base should be an easy position to fill. Hopefully, Ohtani can take over next season. I actually hope he doesn’t pitch because I don’t think a team can win with a six-man rotation, especially the Angels who have no depth. 

I don’t dislike Thaiss, I just don’t think he is an adequate platoon partner. His defense is very suspect to be a utility player. 

I actually like Thaiss the most out of all of them, and I fully support the idea of him getting playing time at 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, and RF. I think he’s capable too. He’s going to look rough out there right now but what do you expect? Get him on the job training now in a lost season. His new stance has coaches raving and he already was showing promising peripherals last season. I think a .750-.825 OPS is a good ceiling for him. If he sacrifices discipline and contact for power, he’s Kole Calhoun without the defense and more versatility. If he focuses on contact and discipline he could still be a .275+ guy with lots of walks and doubles. 

Walsh is the biggest boom/bust. He might not have the contact or discipline to stick, keeping him more of a 4A guy, but the power is there, and if the other hit tools come around, he could be our version of a Max Muncy late bloomer, capping 30+ HR no problem. I’m rooting for him the most. Especially when he can add pitching back next season. 

Ward is really tough to figure out. He actually seems like he could be good enough at several things - just enough defense, positional versatility, just enough contact, just enough pop, quietly good baserunning and speed...he could be incredibly value if he can make one of just one of those tools above-average, and if he can get two or three above-average, he could be a really valuable player for a lot of clubs, which at least gives him some trade value. 

We really just need one of them to stick given the fact they all sort of play the same spots and have Pujols, Upton, and better prospects to compete with...but we really do need one of them to stick. 

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Benboom is showing enough to possibly keep them from needing to bring back Castro.   Then they can offer Simba a 3-year deal at about $30-33 million total, and still have money for a Gausman.

Gausman is a candidate to be a late bloomer like Bundy, with ICWT’s tutelage.

Bundy, Heaney, Gausman, Canning, and Barria; with Detmers, Sandoval, and C-Rod waiting their turns.

Seriously better than Mathis

2 hours ago, Game 6 said:

The reason I don't think Simmons will get a QO is because I went through the exercise and did the math. The expiring contracts of Simmons, Teheran, La Stella, Castro and Goodwin free up $36.3 M. If they don't offer arbitration to Robles and Bedrosian they free up another $6.65 M so $43 M. I estimated pre-arb and arbitration at $13 M (most of it going to Bundy and Heaney) so the Angels have about $30 M to spend if the budget is the same in 2021 as it was in 2020.

If they pay Simba $18 M they have only $12 M left and as I said "they will not be able to effectively upgrade pitching."

You are right about the money but did halos still have money to spend this year? So Simba gone have 30 mill to spend do you put all eggs in 1 basket and go after Bauer? We need an ace. Could we trade for starter like a Lynn? We got Bundy last year for very little is it possible to find another pitching like that? Does Artie decide on Eppler right after season so new GM has chance getting in to do these things?

4 hours ago, TroutCron said:

Many times?

You mean the 20 ABs in 2020?

Or the 164 ABs in 2019 where he posted a 714 OPS for his first season.  Seventh best on the team and better than both Walsh and Ward who have had many more chances than Thaiss.

There is a reason why they are "trying to get Thaiss bat into the lineup ".