• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Jared Walsh the answer for 1B?

Angels 1961

On 9/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Funny thing is ..  that's exactly what they thought they had in Robles, Buttrey, and Middleton.   

That's a mistake. I think it was probably reasonable to expect at least one of those guys to do well but I was highly skeptical of the last two and Robles wasn't all that far removed from being a Mets cast off. 

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That's a mistake. I think it was probably reasonable to expect at least one of those guys to do well but I was highly skeptical of the last two and Robles wasn't all that far removed from being a Mets cast off. 

It's just the nature of the best when it comes to relievers.  They're notoriously very volatile.  They can be totally unhittable one year, then a dumpster fire the next year.

In the end, I would say the ideal strategy is to just try to stockpile a ton of arms who (mainly) have options.  See who looks good in spring training and keep those guys up, while optioning whomever isn't pitching well.

This is why I would avoid signing relievers in free agency.

4 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Finishes the season with a .293/.324/.646 and 9 homers, 4 doubles and 2 triples. What a revelation he's been for us to close the season.

The strong finishes we saw from several young players and breakout seasons definitely gives reason for optimism moving forward.

On a team with Trout and Rendon, we don't need more stars - we just need average to solid above average role players to surround them.  If Walsh can get somewhat close to hitting like this next year, then we've struck gold at first base.

On 9/21/2020 at 5:18 PM, Inside Pitch said:

If I had to bet without looking at pitch info and the good stuff I'd put my money on Robles ... Only because he's done the good, then awful, then good thing before.   Also he's goofy AF.  Goofy RPs do goofy shit.

But he wont be doing it here cuz of Arbitration. Guaranteed hes non-tendered.

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

The strong finishes we saw from several young players and breakout seasons definitely gives reason for optimism moving forward.

On a team with Trout and Rendon, we don't need more stars - we just need average to solid above average role players to surround them.  If Walsh can get somewhat close to hitting like this next year, then we've struck gold at first base.

If Walsh hits somewhat close to what he did this year.... those will be star numbers... he literally had superstar numbers this year.

• 9 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, Angels 1961 said:

GettyImages-1144016211-1.jpg

Could Walsh be the answer for 1B for now and the future? Another reason to sit Albert Pujols and give Walsh regular ABs.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, failos said:

Lol no

I agree

I was definitely a Walsh doubter after last season but you can't argue with what he's done at the plate. I just pulled up JD Martinez's BR and the similarities are striking. Late round pick and then something clicks in the age 26 season.

Martinez:

Age 26 - 154 OPS+

Age 27 - 139 OPS+

Walsh:

Age 26 - 153 OPS+

Age 27 - 135 OPS+

Obviously that's an unfair comp for Walsh but a fun dream scenario.