• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Jared Walsh the answer for 1B?

Angels 1961

21 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Both Thaiss and Walsh have shown something at one time or another since 2019.

Can either of them find enough consistency?

I think Walsh, at least, can be modestly above replacement level.  Not necessarily great, but I think he can be competent and not a liability.

In a lineup that has Trout, Rendon, and Fletcher, we don't need the rest to be stars, but we need to avoid guys posting fWARs of like -0.5, etc that we seem to be riddled with currently.

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

It sounds weird since Thaiss is struggling and Walsh has had some big hits but I think Thaiss has a better chance to be a factor at 1b going forward....Would like to see both a lot in these remaining weeks.

Platoon the two.  Have Thaiss get some time at third and maybe outfield as well 

Ward is also putting together decent numbers.  Where do we play him?

Edited by stormngt

30 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ward is also putting together decent numbers.  Whete do we play him?

It looks like they're angling to have Thaiss serve the super utility role, where he rotates around - 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, etc.

So maybe they'd use Walsh as the main 1B, with Thaiss rotating around as needed.

Ward complements Thaiss in that he'd probably be used moreso against LHP, whereas Thaiss would be against RHP.  

34 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ward is also putting together decent numbers.  Whete do we play him?

Why do we need Thaiss at third we have an all star/mvp candidate at third base. Do u think he should play some games in center as well?

38 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

I don't think the 2021 Angels have space for all three - Walsh, Thaiss or Ward. And really that spot is a platoon at 1B. Maybe Ward as a 4th OF'er because Adell can play CF but I don't like that option. All three have options left so any of them could be in SLC or traded in the offseason.

There are too many redundancies for all three to be on a credible roster.

Exactly, which is why playing each for the rest of the season helps to gauge them better.

1 hour ago, Game 6 said:

I don't think the 2021 Angels have space for all three - Walsh, Thaiss or Ward. And really that spot is a platoon at 1B. Maybe Ward as a 4th OF'er because Adell can play CF but I don't like that option. All three have options left so any of them could be in SLC or traded in the offseason.

There are too many redundancies for all three to be on a credible roster.

Right.  So just somewhat projecting things out in terms of a lineup / players...

SS Fletcher, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Upton, RF Adell, 1B "lefty" / Pujols, C Stassi, 2B ?? (Rengifo?)

With 9 position players, we'll probably carry a 4 man bench and an 8 man bullpen (and 5 SPs + possibly Ohtani).

Let's assume that Walsh occupies 1B and Pujols becomes more of a bench player.  That's one bench player.  Then you have a backup catcher, so that's 2.

That leaves 2 spots for utility players.  Barreto is out of options, so unless the FO cuts bait that quickly, you have to imagine he would be one of those 2 players.

So that leaves 1 spot left for either Thaiss or Ward, if you assume that Rengifo ends up as the starting 2B.  Maybe that's why they are trying to have Thaiss move around - so that he can, potentially, occupy a utility role.

I'll add if we were to more ideally construct this roster, we would just release Pujols and perhaps employ a Walsh/Ward or Thaiss/Ward platoon at 1B, but I don't think we're going to see that.

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Why do we need Thaiss at third we have an all star/mvp candidate at third base. Do u think he should play some games in center as well?

Rendon is going to play every game?  

I was referring that Thaiss could play back up along with a platoon at 1b.

Edited by stormngt

Walsh much better defensively than Thaiss. I just would like to use in house for 1B. OF Trout, Upton and RF be spot up for grabs. Maybe Adell takes or Ward. If Adell does not strat he may be in AAA to start season. I would have Ohtani as possible OF option as he played it in Japan. I would give Simmons QO and if he takes great if not Fletcher is SS. Key for me is Simmons if he stays most positions we have covered and use any money u have for pitching.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Walsh has shown some stick since being called up. If I were Maddon I'd tell Thaiss and Ward to pick up a catcher's mitt again and say, "Whoever can handle catching duties halfway decently has a bench job next year." Either one would be more valuable as a multi-positional OF/1B/C.

Yeah - I think that's a solid idea.  I imagine both would probably be more of a third catcher-type option, but that's still a nice safety net to have.

Stassi and Bemboom have actually been a decent combination this year.  Nothing exciting, but they've held their own and I'd be okay rolling with them moving forward, so long as the money that we would have otherwise spent on a catcher is allocated to pitching instead.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah - I think that's a solid idea.  I imagine both would probably be more of a third catcher-type option, but that's still a nice safety net to have.

Stassi and Bemboom have actually been a decent combination this year.  Nothing exciting, but they've held their own and I'd be okay rolling with them moving forward, so long as the money that we would have otherwise spent on a catcher is allocated to pitching instead.

Yep. It might be a good idea to go budget at C, rather than spend an extra $5-8M AAV on a Castro/Avila type. Similarly with Simmons - as much as I'd love to see him back. Spending $24M or so on a catcher and Simmons is a lot of dough that can be spent on pitching.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yep. It might be a good idea to go budget at C, rather than spend an extra $5-8M AAV on a Castro/Avila type. Similarly with Simmons - as much as I'd love to see him back. Spending $24M or so on a catcher and Simmons is a lot of dough that can be spent on pitching.

Yep.  Ideally, I'd like them to go in on Bauer and look to extend Bundy.  I know we don't have that much budget to spend, but we can likely do both of those things.  We would have to move on from Simba in the process and likely punt on a Castro/Avila type, but by doing so, we can potentially have a very potent top of the rotation with Bauer/Bundy/Heaney as 1-3, with Barria, Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, etc rounding out the rotation, with Ohtani as a potentially awesome wild card factor.

Offensively, we will just need some of our young guys (Thaiss, Walsh, Ward, Rengifo, etc) step up and fill roles, which is why it's important to see what they can do as we finish off this abbreviated season.