• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
    Click on the image above to donate!

OC Register: Angels manager Joe Maddon wants impending free agent Andrelton Simmons to stay

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

As much as I'm in the School of Stoneman (hoarding prospects), at some point the Angels are going to trade from their areas of greatest depth: outfielders and, to a lesser extent, middle infield prospects. I think we'll see one of Marsh/Adams traded, one or more of Knowles/Deveaux/Ramirez, probably Jones, and maybe eventually one or two of Jackson/Vera/Paris - although those guys are too young to really know what they'll become.

Totally agree. I think it’s been one of Eppler’s drafting strategies and is quite Yankee-esque.

Draft a bunch of very young, hyper-toolsy athletes at either prime positions (SS) or where you know you’ll have depth (OF, Trout), promote them aggressively, let them put up shiny numbers at levels advanced for their age (perhaps before being truly tested at AA/AAA) and then move them for big-league talent in trades. To a lesser extent, Eppler’s drafting of redundant pitching also demonstrated this. He essentially drafted the same three players - toolsy OF, toolsy MIF, safe, cheap, low ceiling college arms, over and over. 

While he has yet to do that, I think that’s been the plan. It just hadn’t worked out. This season could have proven that theory had it not been for the virus. 

The Yankees were so good at moving young, hyped prospects who were supposedly future superstars before they had been exposed at higher levels. Knowles or Jackson or Paris could have put up gaudy Cal League numbers this year and pulled in something. 

VINTAGE. BASEBALL. STORY. 
Visit Big Fly Gear to get your baseball apparel today!

I also just don’t see any way of acquiring an ace the next season or so without pulling a trade. FA doesn’t offer any Gerrit Cole no-brainers for awhile. Ohtani is closest we have in-house. 

We’re probably waiting for someone like Marquez or Castillo or Flaherty or Giolito to become available in trade for the next best shot at finding an ace.

It’s also why I can see someone like a Baez or Lindor being the next big FA target. Increasingly rely on securing pitching using Billy’s pitcher-heavy drafting classes, the arms in the bigs now, and trades from OF/MIF depth for impact SP.

Add another big bat via FA, fill in the gaps.

Edited by totdprods
12 hours ago, Tyler said:

I just don't see a team willing to throw out what he currently makes out to him in FA. I feel like you offer him, have him reject it, sit in FA when nobody gives him 10+ a year then sign him back for 3 years 24 mill.

if they offer the QO, then he will take it. why make 8 million over 3 when you can make 18 in one? he'd only have to average 3 million over the next 2 seasons to match it, which he's guaranteed to surpass easily.

11 minutes ago, ukyah said:

if they offer the QO, then he will take it. why make 8 million over 3 when you can make 18 in one? he'd only have to average 3 million over the next 2 seasons to match it, which he's guaranteed to surpass easily.

Bingo. 

In offering Andrelton a QO, the QO is almost more of a way of ensuring you have exclusivity in signing him than it is getting a draft pick. I can easily see him being someone hurt by a QO and going unsigned. He’d almost definitely accept the QO.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Angels went cheap up the middle next year with Fletcher, Rengifo, and Barreto and Arte looked at the mega-FA SS class next offseason. Not suggesting it would be wise or ideal but with Pujols and Upton money coming off these next two offseasons, and no real big FA SP targets set to hit free agency, they could stick to smaller and short-term deals for other FA and go big there.

Tp hell with the mega SS deal.  We have the best defensive SS in the game and he would be a lot cheaper.

Spend the future Pujols and Upton windfalls on pitching!

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Tp hell with the mega SS deal.  We have the best defensive SS in the game and he would be a lot cheaper.

Spend the future Pujols and Upton windfalls on pitching!

The arguments against that are...

1. Shortstops are not aging well past 30 these days. Simba’s defense is so otherworldly perhaps his decline still leaves him atop the pack, but it’s not a sure thing.
  2. Simba has become increasingly injury-prone. How will that affect him?
  3. Simmons’ bat has never took the next step. It likely won’t get better in his 30s and it’s already generally below-average now.
  4. Fletcher is a capable MLB SS. Rengifo might be. Paris, Jackson, Vera, Blakely, and maybe my favorite defensive minor leaguer, also the closest to MLB-ready, Livan Soto exist. This works for and against a FA SS deal.
  5. What pitching? This year and the next are pretty lean for impact FA SP. And while FA is always risky and likely not worth it, position players tend to be safer bets. Bauer and Stroman are top this year. Next year it’s all old guys. Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer, Greinke at the top. We’re years away before guys like Berrios, Flaherty, Nola, etc. hit free agency. If we want aces, we’re making them or trading for them.

Also, I’m not arguing for or against it. I just see it as being realistic. The number of FA SS available could keep one to a reasonable mega-deal, and it could fill the Angels need at SS, put another hitter with Trout, Rendon, and hopefully Adell and Ohtani, and free up their SS prospects in trade for arms - which is the best way to acquire good SP short of developing it.