The Angels could finish the season with a good rotation statistically?

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Heaney has always teased with these stretches of pitching.   Then he goes through a similar stretch of blowing  totally up in games.

He is as big of an enigma as I can remember on the mound for the Halos.

The thing Heaney has avoided this year is the inopportune meatball down the middle that travels 420 feet out of the park.  His HR/9 rate is down where it was in the minors, he's otherwise the same exact pitcher he's always been.   Whether this is something that's clicked between his ears or something different the catchers are doing or Callaway has put into his head..  dunno.  But he's effectively neutralized the part of his game that undid everything he did right.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every night, @Chuckster70 sits on his porch and pours himself a nice little glass of scotch.  He holds it up to the light and admires it.  The setting suns rays shine through that little crystal bucke

The Angels have a chance of having four starters to finish the season with an ERA under 4.00, which in the American League is saying something.  As of right now... Bundy: 2.47 ERA Barri

Me regarding Andrew Heaney every year

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Oh I loved Sciosc. Bausmus too though. Not sure about Maddon so far.

I think managers are overrated in general, but I thought Scioscia seemingly did a good job with the locker room, and the last time he pissed me off in-game was that Calhoun bunt.

Again, I didn't think you were a MS hater by any stretch but a lot of the people here never really looked at him objectively, it was a classic case of familiarity breeding contempt.   Which is probably why I get annoyed with Maddon as much as I do -- I actually did follow him and his tendencies.   Moves for the sake of moves are as much a part of his managing as MS was prone to play the averages.

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The thing Heaney has avoided this year is the inopportune meatball down the middle that travels 420 feet out of the park.  His HR/9 rate is down where it was in the minors, he's otherwise the same exact pitcher he's always been.   Whether this is something that's clicked between his ears or something different the catchers are doing or Callaway has put into his head..  dunno.  But he's effectively neutralized the part of his game that undid everything he did right.

If he can continue this then it will be a huge boost to this rotation looking into the next few seasons 

On 9/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I would like to see Ohtani focus on 1B and RF in the offseason, but if he's healthy to pitch I would like to see him come back as a reliever in 2021 if he's pumping high 90's heat again. 

Would love to see him play nearly nine innings in the field and then come in to pitch the 9th and close out the game. 

Can you imagine how awesome that would be?

I'm wondering if that's why he's learning MLB outfield. If he's DH he can come in as a rp but then the DH is lost. Can you imagine him in LF then coming in to pitch the 7th then back to LF ???????

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on our pitching staff. 

Bundy: 3.29 ERA 

Heaney: 4.02 ERA

Canning: 3.99 ERA 

Barria: 3.26 ERA

Now insert Detmers for the #5 spot if he's ready and possibly Ohtani for the #6 spot in the rotation, this of course after adding a top arm via FA like Bauer or via trade.  

That's a good rotation, especially if Ohtani returns to form and we indeed sign a guy like Bauer or trade for a top of the rotation arm. 

Then spend the rest of our resources on a 2B (unless the team thinks Rengifo is the guy) and sign a closer. 

Call it an offseason. Call it good to go in 2021! 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

The best part isn't just the ERA from these guys, but also the K/IP rates. 

Bundy: 72 K's, 65 2/3 IP

Heaney: 67 K's, 62 2/3 IP

Canning: 56 K's, 56 IP

Barria: 27 K's, 31 1/3 IP

As a bonus with regards to the bullpen, Mike Mayers has notched 48 K's in 28 2/3 IP with a stellar 1.57 ERA. 

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The best part isn't just the ERA from these guys, but also the K/IP rates. 

Bundy: 72 K's, 65 2/3 IP

Heaney: 67 K's, 62 2/3 IP

Canning: 56 K's, 56 IP

Barria: 27 K's, 31 1/3 IP

As a bonus with regards to the bullpen, Mike Mayers has notched 48 K's in 28 2/3 IP with a stellar 1.57 ERA. 

I'm guessing this is a result of the Mickey Callaway effect?

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Now insert Detmers for the #5 spot if he's ready and possibly Ohtani for the #6 spot in the rotation, this of course after adding a top arm via FA like Bauer or via trade.  

That's a good rotation, especially if Ohtani returns to form and we indeed sign a guy like Bauer or trade for a top of the rotation arm. 

Then spend the rest of our resources on a 2B (unless the team thinks Rengifo is the guy) and sign a closer. 

Call it an offseason. Call it good to go in 2021! 

Who would have thought Barria would have the teams best ERA with five games to go into the season?