• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels could finish the season with a good rotation statistically?

Chuck

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That Barreto play.  Not close to being an error..  but inexperience turned an out into a hit and one batter later, a run.   I get it, they want to get the kid at bats and see what he can do as a potential super sub, but having him in LF the same day Ward is in RF seems like playing with fire.

Not sure the pitchers have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the defense behind them with that kind of lineup....

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

That Barreto play.  Not close to being an error..  but inexperience turned an out into a hit and one batter later, a run.   I get it, they want to get the kid at bats and see what he can do as a potential super sub, but having him in LF the same day Ward is in RF seems like playing with fire.

But Joe is quirky!

14 hours ago, Angel said:

Technically Ohtani still has ace potential.  He is a wonder, discounting him is not going to age well I think.

You can't go into the offseason with Ohtani in mind to anchor the rotation. If he's able to start and he's reclaimed his ace type stuff, great. That's a bonus! 

Whoever the GM is should add a couple of reliable starters much like Keuchel and Ryu, or perhaps Bauer and one of those types via a trade.

If Bundy is your #3, Heaney #4 and Canning #5 you're in good shape. If Ohtani is the 2018 version of himself on the mound then we go with a 6-man rotation. 

15 hours ago, Hubs said:

Bauer / Bundy / Heaney / Ohtani / Canning / Barria with Sandoval / Detmers for depth is a good 6.

Later in the year Detmers takes over for someone.

Resign Simmons, Sign Bauer, Sign A Closer, Trade for a 2nd Rotation Piece, Sign a Catcher.

Cannot count on Ohtani pitching, if he comes back great. Last 4 years 80 inn

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

You can't go into the offseason with Ohtani in mind to anchor the rotation. If he's able to start and he's reclaimed his ace type stuff, great. That's a bonus! 

Whoever the GM is should add a couple of reliable starters much like Keuchel and Ryu, or perhaps Bauer and one of those types via a trade.

If Bundy is your #3, Heaney #4 and Canning #5 you're in good shape. If Ohtani is the 2018 version of himself on the mound then we go with a 6-man rotation. 

To me it’s extremely brain damaged to presume Ohtani will pitch with any regularity at all.  Ever.  But 100% with you that this is what they should do.  They have to get a at least 2 reasonable reliable major league pitchers.  They won’t be 1’s and we’ll be lucky to get even one 2 in a guy like Bauer (barely a 2 but who knows - maybe) but at least guys who can get us through the 5th with some some regularity.  If they could somehow get a 3rd guy that would be great.  But for love of fucking Christ please get 2 normal pitchers this offseason.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

21 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

To me it’s extremely brain damaged to presume Ohtani will pitch with any regularity at all.  Ever.  But 100% with you that this is what they should do.  They have to get a at least 2 reasonable reliable major league pitchers.  They won’t be 1’s and we’ll be lucky to get even one 2 in a guy like Bauer (barely a 2 but who knows - maybe) but at least guys who can get us through the 5th with some some regularity.  If they could somehow get a 3rd guy that would be great.  But for love of fucking Christ please get 2 normal pitchers this offseason.  

They literally got two normal pitchers this past off season, then Covid.  

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I guess.  Sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel tho wouldn’t you say ? I am glad that Bundy appears to be pretty decent. 

They got two guys, both of whom were exactly what they needed as it relates to guys, that take the ball every 5th day and pitch deep into games.  That is why they were obtained.  We need a top of the rotation arm, but those guys were never going to be that.  They were both signed to be glue type of guys that save a pen and keep you in the game.  In a normal year, I am assuming Teheran is MUCH better than we have seen this year.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They got two guys, both of whom were exactly what they needed as it relates to guys, that take the ball every 5th day and pitch deep into games.  That is why they were obtained.  We need a top of the rotation arm, but those guys were never going to be that.  They were both signed to be glue type of guys that save a pen and keep you in the game.  In a normal year, I am assuming Teheran is MUCH better than we have seen this year.  

I mean I would have thought it would go that way.  I did think it would.  But it hasn’t.  But yes, covid etc.  Just how it goes for the Halos I guess.  I was just saying generally, they need two more this offseason.  And hopefully it results in more success.  Would be nice to get more first choice targets tho.  Hopefully the results are better. 

not opposed to bringing Teheran back but not as a guy to lean on.  

15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hey, if the Halos re-sign Stella (for DH/1B), it’s no big deal.

Edited by Angel Oracle

14 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean I would have thought it would go that way.  I did think it would.  But it hasn’t.  But yes, covid etc.  Just how it goes for the Halos I guess.  I was just saying generally, they need two more this offseason.  And hopefully it results in more success.  Would be nice to get more first choice targets tho.  Hopefully the results are better. 

not opposed to bringing Teheran back but not as a guy to lean on.  

If you go get a guy like Bauer or Stroman then you only bring Teheran back if you are trading a starter. 

Ryu would have been nice. Totally predictable every year. But 20 million is high. Ironic he's on the same team now as Stripling. 

The most positive thing about 2020 is Bundy showing he's a reliable starter. And fairly respectable starting pitching all around.

No feel good stories about the hitters, other than maybe Fletcher. Possibly Simmons, but a small sample size. Rendon is pretty much doing as expected. Trout a decent year but below his norm.

Bullpen needs more attention than the starters perhaps. Both need upgrades. A real closer would be nice.

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

To be fair, that was the year everybody was creaming over the defense on paper before the season. Kinsler, Cozart, Maldy, Calhoun, Pujols still in his early 40s, Cron at least better than Stella. Upton was the only "weakness", and he was at least rated well statistically (must have good range).

While it seems like the whole team has been sloppy this year, I can't recall too many bad plays out of Fletcher, Simmons, Trout, Rendon, etc. It's been a lot of Goody, Stelly, and Adell. 

Two or three players makes a big difference, so I really hope they don't add SS and 2B to the weaknesses by losing Simmons. If he leaves, at least find another SS and keep Fletch at 2B.

Look at the year before that then.   A focus on run prevention was a MS hallmark, I don't think you were an active MS hater by any stretch so not directing this at you in any way but he's gone now and it's okay for people to give him credit for the things he preached and the team did well.   About the only time you saw a reaction from him was after a defensive miscue.

The team currently has three plus defenders and a lot of sloppy play everywhere else -- thats the issue, sloppy, unprepared play.  La Stella was a butcher, Adell is just very inexperienced in the corners but I'm not worried about him long term.  Upton has actually graded out better this year but he's taken his fair share of questionable routes.  Goodwin was just bad and everyone not named Pujols has been meh at 1B, but you can likely put some of that on the lack of innings.   Marsh is going to impact the OF in a very good way when he gets here and if Jack Kruger's bad get's him to the majors he won't hurt them either at C. 

57 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Ryu would have been nice. Totally predictable every year. But 20 million is high. Ironic he's on the same team now as Stripling. 

The most positive thing about 2020 is Bundy showing he's a reliable starter. And fairly respectable starting pitching all around.

No feel good stories about the hitters, other than maybe Fletcher. Possibly Simmons, but a small sample size. Rendon is pretty much doing as expected. Trout a decent year but below his norm.

Bullpen needs more attention than the starters perhaps. Both need upgrades. A real closer would be nice.

He’s average 20 starts a year in his career.  So not really that predictable. 

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Heaney has always teased with these stretches of pitching.   Then he goes through a similar stretch of blowing  totally up in games.

He is as big of an enigma as I can remember on the mound for the Halos.

The thing Heaney has avoided this year is the inopportune meatball down the middle that travels 420 feet out of the park.  His HR/9 rate is down where it was in the minors, he's otherwise the same exact pitcher he's always been.   Whether this is something that's clicked between his ears or something different the catchers are doing or Callaway has put into his head..  dunno.  But he's effectively neutralized the part of his game that undid everything he did right.

8 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Oh I loved Sciosc. Bausmus too though. Not sure about Maddon so far.

I think managers are overrated in general, but I thought Scioscia seemingly did a good job with the locker room, and the last time he pissed me off in-game was that Calhoun bunt.

Again, I didn't think you were a MS hater by any stretch but a lot of the people here never really looked at him objectively, it was a classic case of familiarity breeding contempt.   Which is probably why I get annoyed with Maddon as much as I do -- I actually did follow him and his tendencies.   Moves for the sake of moves are as much a part of his managing as MS was prone to play the averages.

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The thing Heaney has avoided this year is the inopportune meatball down the middle that travels 420 feet out of the park.  His HR/9 rate is down where it was in the minors, he's otherwise the same exact pitcher he's always been.   Whether this is something that's clicked between his ears or something different the catchers are doing or Callaway has put into his head..  dunno.  But he's effectively neutralized the part of his game that undid everything he did right.

If he can continue this then it will be a huge boost to this rotation looking into the next few seasons 

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not a lot of pitchers on that list...

Yeah, that's why you get Bauer or if you strike out there you get Stroman, but then get creative for a deal for an arm via a trade. Possibly someone not on that list. 

On 9/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I would like to see Ohtani focus on 1B and RF in the offseason, but if he's healthy to pitch I would like to see him come back as a reliever in 2021 if he's pumping high 90's heat again. 

Would love to see him play nearly nine innings in the field and then come in to pitch the 9th and close out the game. 

Can you imagine how awesome that would be?

I'm wondering if that's why he's learning MLB outfield. If he's DH he can come in as a rp but then the DH is lost. Can you imagine him in LF then coming in to pitch the 7th then back to LF ???????