• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

POLL: Grade the Angels at the Trade Deadline

John Taylor

Grade the Angels during the 2020 Trade Deadline  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Angels during the 2020 Trade Deadline

• A - Angels are #Winning
    • B - Barreto will be a hidden Gem
    • C - Chuck is currently building "PadresWin.com"
    • D - Did we fire Eppler yet?
    • F - Fire Eppler, hire Dipoto then fire him, hire Reagins then fire him, only Bill Bavasi can save us now

I think this is about as good as we could have done, with the exception of possibly trading Bundy if there was a market for him.  One thing I don’t do is assume there were deals to be made and assume the people who are in those positions just simply chose not to make those moves.  None of us know what the market was for Simmons or Bundy.  We can assume, but really it is a fools errand.  I doubt the Angels were offered some great package for Bundy that we simply turned down because we didn’t want to improve.  Simmons market must not have developed.  

Eppler failed to make this upcoming offseason any easier on himself so he gets an F.

This offseason I’ll hear the excuse that he can’t fill all the team needs in one off season. 

Toronto has managed to go through a complete rebuild since their last playoff appearance which was more recent than the Angels and they’re already back to competing for a playoff spot. This organization is an absolute dumpster fire going nowhere fast.

La Stella, Castro and Goodwin were major league players. Maybe journeymen, but able to make rosters and spend some years in the big leagues. They all should be around for at least another few years in one capacity or another. And have modestly long major league careers of five years and more. 

I wonder if any of the new acquisitions will eventually have major league careers of even average length? So many fringe/medium rated prospects never have careers of any length. 

We rarely hear about the guys who have their opportunities, fail to impress and then just disappear into the minors and leave the sport. 

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Eppler failed to make this upcoming offseason any easier on himself so he gets an F.

This offseason I’ll hear the excuse that he can’t fill all the team needs in one off season. 

Toronto has managed to go through a complete rebuild since their last playoff appearance which was more recent than the Angels and they’re already back to competing for a playoff spot. This organization is an absolute dumpster fire going nowhere fast.

Toronto wasn't hamstrung by Pujos and Upton contracts

We unloaded parts that would help a contender but just get in the way of a remodel. Adell is up. He won't be going back. Marsh is en route and there'd be no room for Goodwin, anyway. LaStella got a young prospect.  In Castro, the Angels  unloaded a light-hitting catcher at a position where there is something of a jam. The pitching has been crummy more often than not. We got some new pitching so maybe we won't see the same merry-go-round of names bouncing up and down in 2021. Bundy is a pitching asset who can help the climb out of the basement.

Pitching. Pitching. Pitching. We didn't have enough. Maybe there's something to build upon. Besides, how can you NOT want to root for a guy named Packy?

D

Eppler loves the "potential" and "project" terms. Barreto is that "potential project" type guy. Highly ranked prospect, hasn't found MLB success. 

Tradable assets Bundy and Simmons stayed put. No real prospects coming back. I know it sounds pessimistic, but Eppler is done and the next GM to come in is about to fire sale prospects. Unless Arte wants to be the GM like he kind of already is. 

22 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

This is perfectly said and anyone else who doesn't think that is in complete denial. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

D

Eppler loves the "potential" and "project" terms. Barreto is that "potential project" type guy. Highly ranked prospect, hasn't found MLB success. 

Tradable assets Bundy and Simmons stayed put. No real prospects coming back. I know it sounds pessimistic, but Eppler is done and the next GM to come in is about to fire sale prospects. Unless Arte wants to be the GM like he kind of already is. 

You realize that Simmons at most would have gotten you the same level of prospect you criticized Eppler for getting in the trades he did make.   Bundy is 27, if this is the real him then not trading him isn’t a bad thing. He didn’t have a long enough track record of success to warrant a big return.  Or else he’d probably be gone. 

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You realize that Simmons at most would have gotten you the same level of prospect you criticized Eppler for getting in the trades he did make.   Bundy is 27, if this is the real him then not trading him isn’t a bad thing. He didn’t have a long enough track record of success to warrant a big return.  Or else he’d probably be gone. 

Outside of Simmons value at the Trade Deadline this year, the Angels *might* consider making him a Qualifying Offer, to keep him around one more season, in what is likely to be a rebound season for Andrelton, which could result in either a) a compensatory pick if he does perform well and signs a contract over $50M (iffy, to be honest) or b) the Angels re-signing him at a lower rate due to the QO being attached, netting him in at a likely sub-$50M total contract.

The above is not out of the realm of possibility but it is probably a gamble the Angels will not take, unless they feel supremely confident that Andrelton can perform well.

Odds are that Simmons has seen his last days in an Angels uniform, which is, personally for me, unfortunate, I think that guy is a winner, who should stay but there are factors in that decision that are outside of everyone's knowledge, here.