• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top draft Prospect Gray tests positive for Adderall

This is what I found on mlbtr about this.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/jonathan-gray-tests-positive-for-banned-stimulant.html#disqus_thread

9:56pm: Marshall right-hander Aaron Blair also tested positive for Adderall, reports Conor Glassey of Baseball America. Blair ranked as the No. 41 draft prospect, per BA.

Glassey spoke to a pair of front office executives from different teams, and each believed Gray's usage was a one-time mistake that won't be held against him. A source close to Blair told Glassey that his usage was also a one-time instance.

5:18pm: ESPN's Keith Law reports that Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray, projected to be one of the Top 5 picks in Thursday's MLB draft, has tested positive for Adderall -- a stimulant which is banned by the Joint Drug Agreement between MLB and the players' union. According to Law, the test will not result in a suspension, and it's not likely to cause him to slip in the draft.

In fact, in a second piece (this one for ESPN Insiders only), Law outlines a scenario in which this test could actually make Gray more appealing to the Astros with the first overall pick. Law writes that Gray's bonus demands will be lower due to the poor result. One source told Law he expects Gray to sign for a "huge" discount. In that scenario, the Astros could likely sign Gray below slot with the first pick and allocate some of the additional funds to later players without risk of exceeding their bonus pool.

Adderall is typically prescribed as a treatment for ADHD, but Gray did not have a prescription for the drug. In Law's first piece, he notes that more than 110 active players were granted exemptions to use the drug in 2012. Carlos Ruiz's 25-game suspension to open the season was the result of using Adderall without a prescription, he adds. Most teams that Law has spoken to thus far aren't overly troubled by Gray's test, though it does bring his judgment into question.

True, and that's all MLB's fault.

Why these kinds of violations aren't an automatic loss of draft eligibility just surprises me.  These kids will just keep on doing it without any consequences for their actions.  They say he can still be suspended by his club, but he's still going to get paid, and missing a few games in the minors means nothing to a kid who's a couple years away from reaching the majors.

I meant all sports, not just baseball.

I also think there should be some sort of context. I don't know the situation, but know a lot of college kids take Adderall to help with studies and finals.

I'm more inclined to immediately believe this scenario opposed to gaining some edge athletically.

I think any kid will see huge behavioral changes with any kind of medication. It reminds me of the 80's when kids would just be kids and doctors started prescribing Ridalin like it was candy because they were deemed hyper or rambunctious.

The stats and science get diluted when people just don't want to deal with kids.

Why take drugs or alcohol for dealing with life's stresses when you can just do that to the problem?

Not just kids, but all people.

Hence people without ADD taking adderall as speed, though it has the opposite effect when taken medicinally by people with ADD. It induces a behvior change no matter what, of course. Same with ridalin. Doctors misdiagnosing and giving these meds out to people who don't need it is certainly a problem, though. It's why there's still a stigma for people who have drastic quality of life improvements by taking the meds.

You and many other are very confused, and it's the norm.

Uhhh, that was my point.

I don't know how you agree with me then say I'm confused.

I'm also not confused, I have taken a myriad of medications for multiple conditions or disorders. I'm quite familiar with the topic.

Uhhh, that was my point.

I don't know how you agree with me then say I'm confused.

I'm also not confused, I have taken a myriad of medications for multiple conditions or disorders. I'm quite familiar with the topic.

Out of curiosity, did those pills ever make that rash go away?