Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Tommy La Stella traded to the A's for Franklin Barreto


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I already miss Tommy LaStella.  I was happy when we got him, because I suspected he'd get a chance to play.  He's a glue guy, a gamer.  Someone any winning team needs.  

Hopefully, we will  attempt to bring him back over the winter, as a utility infielder/outfielder, once we get the infield pieces sorted out.  

Yeah I think people forget about they sometimes.... we can just sign him in the offseason. It’s not like he could be potentially be gone forever. And in exchange we got a high upside infielder with a lot of control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Narrator: He was in fact, not excited to see the return.

A once top 100 prospect that plays 2B and SS. No better than Rengifo. Eppler is Dipoto'n us on his way out.

Now that I've had time to think this over, I like it.  We can slot Upton and Barreto in the #3 and #4 spots in the lineup right away. Anything that puts us one step closer to Kumar Rocker, I'm in

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Yeah I think people forget about they sometimes.... we can just sign him in the offseason. It’s not like he could be potentially be gone forever. And in exchange we got a high upside infielder with a lot of control.

It's going to be significantly harder to sign him now, particularly if the A's are interested. Definitely won't get a team friendly deal anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While I want Ps back in trades, I have no problems with this return.  Gives us a super cheap MI option next year.  with letting Simmons go, we’d likely had to spend $5m or more on a depth MI.  Now they don’t have to - thus allowing more money to either a SP or RP option next year instead.  Freeing money next year from Simmons and/or a LaStella type pickup next year is a big bonus.  Plus he’s got upside to turn into more potentially.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Like when he traded for La Stella and then when he traded for Bundy. 

Not really what I was referring to. I didn't know La Stella was a former top prospect. The difference in trading for them was that they were already established major league players. Neither were lighting the world on fire, but they didn't give up much to get them and they had proven they could at least compete.  

I'm talking more the Alex Meyer type. Guys who were former top prospects that came up to the MLB and couldn't figure it out. I could be completely wrong obviously. Earlier in Eppler's tenure I would have backed this, but at this point it just seems like a dumb trade. Better to try to extend La Stella, an actual proven commodity, then to hope a guy that can't figure it out at the plate suddenly does. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Not really what I was referring to. I didn't know La Stella was a former top prospect. The difference in trading for them was that they were already established major league players. Neither were lighting the world on fire, but they didn't give up much to get them and they had proven they could at least compete.  

I'm talking more the Alex Meyer type. Guys who were former top prospects that came up to the MLB and couldn't figure it out. I could be completely wrong obviously. Earlier in Eppler's tenure I would have backed this, but at this point it just seems like a dumb trade. Better to try to extend La Stella, an actual proven commodity, then to hope a guy that can't figure it out at the plate suddenly does. 

Eppler has been better with trades than with free agency.  So even if you extend La Stella you are probably still looking at hitting the market for a middle infielder.  I am willing to give this trade some time to see how it works out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fourts said:

While I want Ps back in trades, I have no problems with this return.  Gives us a super cheap MI option next year.  with letting Simmons go, we’d likely had to spend $5m or more on a depth MI.  Now they don’t have to - thus allowing more money to either a SP or RP option next year instead.  Freeing money next year from Simmons and/or a LaStella type pickup next year is a big bonus.  Plus he’s got upside to turn into more potentially.  

So you think this move means we're not trading Simmons?  I'm pretty sure this means he's being traded or at the very least walking, the kind of salary we can free up for pitching is too good to miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Eppler has been better with trades than with free agency.  So even if you extend La Stella you are probably still looking at hitting the market for a middle infielder.  I am willing to give this trade some time to see how it works out.  

Yeah not much else to do at this point. I'm not up in arms about it. I just don't like trading their 4th-ish best hitter away. And I just like the guy. We'll see though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

It's going to be significantly harder to sign him now, particularly if the A's are interested. Definitely won't get a team friendly deal anymore.

We wouldn’t ever had a team friendly deal from a mid level 31 year old all star without a big contract in his past. He would’ve taken the most money even if it didn’t come from the Angels. Think 5/45 or more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Angel said:

So you think this move means we're not trading Simmons?  I'm pretty sure this means he's being traded or at the very least walking, the kind of salary we can free up for pitching is too good to miss.

No.  That’s not what I mean at all.  I’m saying this trades helps us for 2021 - so less of a need to RESIGN Simmons or some other MI.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

the actual player/s in return are almost irrelevant.  

the Angels had 27 games worth of value left in La Stella.  Value that helps them do nothing but play out the rest of the season.  

you almost have to think about this like the draft.  get the bpa.  

I am sure Eppler could have gotten a pitcher.  Maybe some guy in A ball with upside at the bottom of a top 30 list that wouldn't be ready till 2023.  Or some guy in AAA who is 25 that might be a #4 but is most likely a 5/swing that ends up as an ok middle reliever.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll expand on my initial thoughts on this trade from yesterday's GameDay thread. The deal is fine, this is more than a reasonable return for a few weeks of La Stella. Barreto is an interesting piece.

My issue here is what this likely means for next year's team. Simmons is a FA and now we have two middle infielders on the cusp of the majors in Barreto and Rengifo, one of which is out of options and has to be on the team, at least as a backup. With Fletcher and Rendon locking down two spots this means we will no longer be interested in Simmons, so Fletcher, Barreto and Rengifo handle MIF duties next year. On the surface this is not terrible, but we have lost our 4th best hitter and a a guy who was a 5 win shortstop as recently as 2 years ago. This is not easily replaced value. We are punting on a ton of upside here and banking on avoiding the downside risk of these guys failing.

Barreto was highly touted, but if you didn't know that he'd be a mildly intriguing prospect. A guy with an OK minor league track record and an inability to make the leap to the majors with limited at bats. Still has upside but we are now desperately in need of him turning into at least an average second basemen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'll expand on my initial thoughts on this trade from yesterday's GameDay thread. The deal is fine, this is more than a reasonable return for a few weeks of La Stella. Barreto is an interesting piece.

My issue here is what this likely means for next year's team. Simmons is a FA and now we have two middle infielders on the cusp of the majors in Barreto and Rengifo, one of which is out of options and has to be on the team, at least as a backup. With Fletcher and Rendon locking down two spots this means we will no longer be interested in Simmons, so Fletcher, Barreto and Rengifo handle MIF duties next year. On the surface this is not terrible, but we have lost our 4th best hitter and a a guy who was a 5 win shortstop as recently as 2 years ago. This is not easily replaced value. We are punting on a ton of upside here and banking on avoiding the downside risk of these guys failing.

Barreto was highly touted, but if you didn't know that he'd be a mildly intriguing prospect. A guy with an OK minor league track record and an inability to make the leap to the majors with limited at bats. Still has upside but we are now desperately in need of him turning into at least an average second basemen.

this is all true.  and it's up to Eppler and his scouts to get more of these types of moves right than wrong.  That's how most championship teams are built.  

I have been a big proponent of having Arte help buy the teams way out of less than savory situations that I think he helped create.  Yet year after year this doesn't happen to the extent that it needs to.  Yes, Arte spends and I am thankful for that.  And yes, the Halos have a big enough budget to where they should be able to win a championship.  But, and I know you have mentioned this many times, this team is somewhat caught in the middle and will be unless the Rengifos, Sandovals, Barrettos, Adells, Marshs, Thaiss, and Cannings of the world pan out.  Guys obtain via lesser moves.  ie.  Not by top 5 draft picks or trading a very valuable major league asset for top prospects.  

It's gonna take a ton of luck or the best GM in baseball to pull this off.  This is partially why I am defensive of Eppler.  In my opinion, he's been put into a bit of a no win situation.  Instead of acquiring Barretto to help the major league club, he could have acquired a lower level prospect or two with much higher upside or value.  But the priority is always on the major league club and keeping it competitive.  This will always lead to a sacrifice of the future for the present.  

While Billy has succeeded to the extent that we'd find acceptable, I am not sure anyone can under these conditions.  So it's high risk, high reward on everything and hope you hit on more than you don't.  

All I can say is good luck to the next guy because for the next five years it will be more of the same and honestly, if it works, it will have to be based on a foundation of what Eppler did 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'll expand on my initial thoughts on this trade from yesterday's GameDay thread. The deal is fine, this is more than a reasonable return for a few weeks of La Stella. Barreto is an interesting piece.

My issue here is what this likely means for next year's team. Simmons is a FA and now we have two middle infielders on the cusp of the majors in Barreto and Rengifo, one of which is out of options and has to be on the team, at least as a backup. With Fletcher and Rendon locking down two spots this means we will no longer be interested in Simmons, so Fletcher, Barreto and Rengifo handle MIF duties next year. On the surface this is not terrible, but we have lost our 4th best hitter and a a guy who was a 5 win shortstop as recently as 2 years ago. This is not easily replaced value. We are punting on a ton of upside here and banking on avoiding the downside risk of these guys failing.

Barreto was highly touted, but if you didn't know that he'd be a mildly intriguing prospect. A guy with an OK minor league track record and an inability to make the leap to the majors with limited at bats. Still has upside but we are now desperately in need of him turning into at least an average second basemen.

The Angels are not in a position NOT to gamble, we have to take some chances and get lucky, makeup some lost ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TooCool said:

Not sure if it's been posted already but I'll post it anyway.

MLB The Show 20 Player Ratings. (Yeah, I know it's just a video game but it matters.)

La Stella's overall rating? 80.

Barreto's overall rating? 61.

Ouch.

It’s well researched data like this is what's missing in the Angel‘s organization when making decisions.

Edited by eligrba
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TooCool said:

Not sure if it's been posted already but I'll post it anyway.

MLB The Show 20 Player Ratings. (Yeah, I know it's just a video game but it matters.)

La Stella's overall rating? 80.

Barreto's overall rating? 61.

Ouch.

Bundy was what and is what now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...