• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Kumar Rocker/Jack Leiter/Jaden Hill sweepstakes

On 8/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Hill is 6-4/233, similar to Rocker except some 20 lbs lighter.   In fact, some scouts think he has Rocker potential, but is behind him in development. 

Hill's delivery is pretty clean, nothing high maintenance.

looks like a lot of effort in his delivery to me.  

• Angel Oracle changed the title to The Kumar Rocker/Jack Leiter/Jaden Hill sweepstakes

We got 21 games left and we’re at 14 wins.  Would anyone be surprised if we ended up around .500 in those last 21 games and end up winning 24 or 25 games on the season, thus Eliminating us from the Rocker chase?   Our record is worse than our team.  And while 8 games isn’t a big sample size for our starters, they’ve pitched much better lately.  What I’d like to do is hold my nose, look the other way and lose enough to draft a stud pitcher. At the same time, as a fan, I prefer watching them win games. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We got 21 games left and we’re at 14 wins.  Would anyone be surprised if we ended up around .500 in those last 21 games and end up winning 24 or 25 games on the season, thus Eliminating us from the Rocker chase?   Our record is worse than our team.  And while 8 games isn’t a big sample size for our starters, they’ve pitched much better lately.  What I’d like to do is hold my nose, look the other way and lose enough to draft a stud pitcher. At the same time, as a fan, I prefer watching them win games. 

This is the Angels circle of despair for fans......hoping for loses to draft a stud pitcher will only result in more wins......hoping for more wins to make the playoffs will only result in more loses.  The Angels will end up being somewhere in the middle allowing everyone on AW to have something to complain about or something to hope for during the off season.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That's the eternal dilemma, and I'm with you. My head wants them to lose, my heart wants them to win every game.

But, yeah. I could easily seem them going something like 13-8 the rest of the year, which would bring the season record up to 27-33. Still a decent draft pick, but more like the 10th pick.

I haven't heavily scouted the draftees, but it seems like there's an "elite" group of five or six picks, and for pitchers two stand out above the rest--Rocker and Leiter--although Hill is comparable in upside, but with more question marks, and Little and Painter are also possible top 10 picks. Barring injury, Rocker and Leiter will almost certainly go in the top 5, if not 1-2. Hill might fall out of the top 5. But we've got a lot of time still until next July.

There are also a couple nice catching prospects in Moller and Del Castillo. Moller is only 17, so probably wouldn't be in the majors for 4-5 years, but Del Castillo is 20 and could be more like 2-3.

Edited by Angelsjunky

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I can't imagine they'd do a pure lottery. Yeah, let's give the Dodgers a chance at the #1 pick.

Maybe they could take it in five team groups: the worst five teams get a random 1-5 pick, the next five 6-10, etc. Or maybe 10 team groups. 

they'd have to exclude playoff teams at least.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

Also, the rankings normally changes a decent amount from now until the next draft.  I'm sure a few will emerge while several others will fall.  

Yes. Hill, for instance, could be right there with Rocker/Leiter, or he could fall to the 2nd round if significant injury issues materialize more fully.

Regardless, it is a good draft. A top five pick will yield a very talented player; top 10 is still quite good. Not sure beyond that.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes. Hill, for instance, could be right there with Rocker/Leiter, or he could fall to the 2nd round if significant injury issues materialize more fully.

Regardless, it is a good draft. A top five pick will yield a very talented player; top 10 is still quite good. Not sure beyond that.

We are going to F around and go on a win streak.  We will end up with 10 to 15 pick.

Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised to play above .500 ball the rest of the year and finish outside the top 5 pick range.  Based on our Pyth/BR projections, we're anywhere from 3-5 wins below where we should be given our team stats so we've been both mediocre and one of the most unlucky teams in the league as well.

2 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Rooting for your team to lose to get a higher draft pick makes no sense to me. Especially in baseball versus the NFL or the NBA. The MLB draft is not a sure thing at the top of the 1st round.

I want the Angels to win every game they can and for the young guys like Rengifo, Adell, Walsh and Barria to be a big part of the wins.

I mean, if the Angels win the next three against Houston this weekend they are only 5 games out with with 18 to go. 13 of those are against the Rangers (7), Rockies, (3) and DBacks (3). Stranger things have happened.

I watch every game televised.  I hope to see the youngsters play well.  I hope our starting pitching continue to pitch well so we cam extend Simmons and only need one starting pitcher.  

At the end I expect the blowpen to blow the lead and hope we get a high draft pick so we can draft a front line pitcher