• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell is a hot mess

Chuck

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Again, I think Eppler gets a Covid pass for a year. Upton is a big problem, especially considering he's on payroll for two more years - but that's exactly why he needs to play. If they were fighting for a playoff berth, maybe not, but it isn't exactly like they have better options. 

I agree he should play every day. See if he could get some value back to trade him for anything or just release him at the end of the year. But I disagree. Eppler is gone at the end of the year, if we finish in 4th or 5th place there's a 1% chance Arte keeps him around. I for sure wouldn't 5 years hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain and a last place finish. Nope. Time for something new. 

As I have said before I thought he put together a good roster with good pitching and that this team would finish near the top of the division. It looks like I was dead wrong. Eppler will pay for this roster with his job. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Upton's complete disaster with the bat and Adell is our top prospect who allegedly can mash. 

Well if Adell can get reps at Summer Camp then they could be playing Goodwin and Ward every day and get the same production.  This isn’t about Upton.  This is about how they are choosing to develop Adell in a season with no minor leagues.  

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I agree he should play every day. See if he could get some value back to trade him for anything or just release him at the end of the year. But I disagree. Eppler is gone at the end of the year, if we finish in 4th or 5th place there's a 1% chance Arte keeps him around. I for sure wouldn't 5 years hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain and a last place finish. Nope. Time for something new. 

As I have said before I thought he put together a good roster with good pitching and that this team would finish near the top of the division. It looks like I was dead wrong. Eppler will pay for this roster with his job. 

We'll see. I have no idea whether Arte will sack him. I personally wouldn't, at least not yet. I'd give him another year.

We'll see. I have no idea whether Arte will sack him. I personally wouldn't, at least not yet. I'd give him another year.

What possible reason could you give him for another year. 5 years and getting worse each year? When was the last time the Angels finished last place in the AL West? 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

What possible reason could you give him for another year. 5 years and getting worse each year? When was the last time the Angels finished last place in the AL West? 

Because we've always known the Eppler Plan would take awhile. There have lots of setbacks, and this year was "supposed to" be the year that things started coming together - if not a playoff berth than at least signs that we are moving in the right direction. Obviously its been disastrous, but it is such an anomalous year that I think it shouldn't factor in too much. 2021 should be what 2020 was supposed to be. If things aren't improving then yes, sack Eppler - his plan isn't working. 

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

According to WAR, yes. Let's say Bonds is vintage and produces 4.5 WAR for the year. Let's say Upton produces -1.5 WAR. That's a six-game swing; halfway through the year means 3 games difference. So 12-17.

Having Bonds in the line up isn't just about WAR his numbers helped everyone in the line up. People hitting in front of them people hitting behind them. Stolen Bases GG outfielder etc. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

There is zero better options. Goodwin can play, Upton can not and neither can Adell so might as well see who plays there way out of it faster. 

Of course there are better options.  Upton can do what Adell is doing.  So can Goodwin. So can Ward.  He is up here because he is here to get reps in real games.  

It’s crazy how fast people have turned on Adell. He is what, 22? Playing in the weirdest season of baseball in history. Spent how many years waiting for this moment to walk on to a field with no fans, players wearing masks, and the fear of Covid. This all has to be hard in the guy.

Add to that, he should be in AAA.

This team sucks with or without him. At least he is getting playing time, learning from his coaches and teammates (I would hope Trout is taking him under his wing) and is seeing what he needs to work on. 

I hope this isn’t killing his confidence. Maybe it’s bringing his overconfidence down a notch.

Because we've always known the Eppler Plan would take awhile. There have lots of setbacks, and this year was "supposed to" be the year that things started coming together - if not a playoff berth than at least signs that we are moving in the right direction. Obviously its been disastrous, but it is such an anomalous year that I think it shouldn't factor in too much. 2021 should be what 2020 was supposed to be. If things aren't improving then yes, sack Eppler - his plan isn't working. 

Since Eppler took over. It's not getting better it's getting worse.

2016 4th place finish 74-88 .457%

2017 2nd place finish 80-82 .494%

2018 4th place finish 80-82 .494%

2019 4th place finish 72-90 .444%

2020 currently 5th place 9-20 .310%

Just now, Kevinb said:

Since Eppler took over. It's not getting better it's getting worse.

2016 4th place finish 74-88 .457%

2017 2nd place finish 80-82 .494%

2018 4th place finish 80-82 .494%

2019 4th place finish 72-90 .444%

2020 currently 5th place 9-20 .310%

Unless we sold off everybody including Trout this would have been the case no matter what unless we signed Friedman and Arte blew past the luxury tax.  

I really don’t think people understand how long it takes to build a farm from scratch when you can’t trade any talent you have.  It’s not like 5 years is a long time to build a farm when it takes 4-5 years for players to be everyday players after they are drafted.  How many teams have 2 players on their team from the 2017 draft?  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course there are better options.  Upton can do what Adell is doing.  So can Goodwin. So can Ward.  He is up here because he is here to get reps in real games.  

Wait what?!?!?! Upton can do what Adell is doing? See this is where you are wrong. Tell me again what Upton can do? 

Upton this year .094 Avg .169 Obp .188 Slg

Adell this year 196. Avg .255 Obp .216 Slg

Goodwin is good or at least avg. But right now Adell even as bad as he's been is still much better than Upton. 

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

jo-adell.png

Disclaimer: Jo Adell will most likely become a good major league baseball player down the road. This post is identifying how bad he is right now, not a preview of what's to come from this young man down the road. He obviously needs more minor league seasoning.

I can't believe how someone who got picked that high in the draft, performed really well in the minor leagues and was selected as one of the top 3 prospects in all of baseball could play so poorly in every aspect of the game. When I say every aspect, I mean every aspect! 

His approach at the plate is extremely poor, his speed is notable on running to first base on a ground ball, but slower than molasses running to the ball in the outfield. His baserunning awareness is lacking as well. I had thought that he had a strong arm, but his throws have looked pretty weak as well. 

If there's a team out there that is willing to give us a solid starting pitcher, or even a top 10 prospect that can pitch, hell even a close top 50 prospect that can pitch, I would make that deal in a heartbeat. 

I would have disagreed with you before the season but after seeing how many holes he has, I doubt he can ever turn this around enough to be a game changer. Maybe an average player but not a game changer.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Unless we sold off everybody including Trout this would have been the case no matter what unless we signed Friedman and Arte blew past the luxury tax.  

I really don’t think people understand how long it takes to build a farm from scratch when you can’t trade any talent you have.  It’s not like 5 years is a long time to build a farm when it takes 4-5 years for players to be everyday players after they are drafted.  How many teams have 2 players on their team from the 2017 draft?  

Keep telling yourself that. There are always excuses with you. It's not Epplers fault. Poor him. Management is the key to any successful business. His plan isn't working or doesn't look like it's working. His top prospect is playing like dog poop, and our pitching staff which he hand picked aren't working out. This is his team. He picked the players.