• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell is a hot mess

Chuck

Also, I think wanting your top prospect to be promoted is part of being a fan. Whether it's the right time or not, whether they're actually ready or not. I know that I've been clamoring for our top guys to get the call for 30+ years now. I think we all share that excitement. 

Sometimes they come up and product right away, sometimes they suck during their cup of coffee but they have a solid rookie year the following year, sometimes they never get the call again because they stunk so bad during their initial promotion and they struggled in the minor leagues following their demotion. 

What concerns me most isn't even his hitting, which we all know people coming up usually struggle a little their first time up. It's that he looks lost out there playing the outfield. How can a top prospect be a top prospect when they can't even field their position. I think he will turn it around and be better, but so far it's not looked good out there. 

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm pretty sure if Upton was earning his paycheck combined with solid production from Goodwin, Adell would continue to get reps in Long Beach. So yeah, I blame Upton. 

Ok go for it.   He isn’t up here because Upton is failing.  They could get Adell’s level of performance from Upton right now.  Adell is up because there’s no minor league season, plain and simple.  Upton could be Bonds this year and we’re still not sniffing the playoffs because of pitching. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok go for it.   He isn’t up here because Upton is failing.  They could get Adell’s level of performance from Upton right now.  Adell is up because there’s no minor league season, plain and simple.  Upton could be Bonds this year and we’re still not sniffing the playoffs because of pitching. 

Could they send Upton to Long Beach? Because that’s what I would do to players performing that poorly.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You don't honestly believe that do you? If Upton was Bonds this team would be crushing it. Trout Bonds Rendon Fletcher ya. This team would be destroying teams even with our pitching. 

Bonds career avg  .298 avg .444 obp .607 slg 

Justin Upton 2020 season .091 avg .169 obp .188 slg

Just now, Kevinb said:

You don't honestly believe that do you. If Upton was Bonds this team would be crushing it. Trout Bonds Rendon Fletcher ya. This team would be destroying teams even with our pitching. 

Ok let’s look at WAR.  In a regular season Bonds would have about a 9 WAR.  So that’s about a 3.5 or so this year.   We are halfway through the season So maybe a couple more wins.  There’s zero chance we would be anywhere close to .500 with Bonds considering how the pitching has performed.  

I agree with Stradling. We pretty much know what we have in Goodwin and he doesn't factor much into the future, so should be traded if possible. Play Upton to see if he can find his swing, and play Adell to both give him experience and show confidence in him that he'll figure it out. Call up Marsh both to provide support for Adell, but also to see what he can do.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

I agree with Stradling. We pretty much know what we have in Goodwin and he doesn't factor much into the future, so should be traded if possible. Play Upton to see if he can find his swing, and play Adell to both give him experience and show confidence in him that he'll figure it out. Call up Marsh both to provide support for Adell, but also to see what he can do.

If we call up Marsh what would that do to his clock versus having him start the year with the club out of spring training?  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Ok let’s look at WAR.  In a regular season Bonds would have about a 9 WAR.  So that’s about a 3.5 or so this year.   We are halfway through the season So maybe a couple more wins.  There’s zero chance we would be anywhere close to .500 with Bonds considering how the pitching has performed.  

You are absolutely joking yourself. Upton is hitting less than 100 batting average. If Bonds was on this team and not Justin Upton this team would be near the top of our division. You couldn't be more wrong. Justin Upton is an abomination of his former self. An average baseball player could close their eyes and swing and hit for better numbers than what Upton is doing right now at the plate. His defense is also just atrocious. 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I completely disagree with this assessment. If Upton was doing pre 2019 Upton things there's no way he's up here to just sit on the bench until maybe the last few weeks of the season to get some exposure. 

Also while there is no minor league season they are playing competitive intrasquad games against their teammates. So while it's not the same as a AAA season he's still able to play the field, run and get at bats against his teammates on a daily basis. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we call up Marsh what would that do to his clock versus having him start the year with the club out of spring training?  

I don't know for sure, but nothing that isn't happening with Adell - and I think @Jeff Fletcher clarified that it isn't impacting his clock. I am talking out of my ass, but I imagine that now is no different than April. I think we gain another year if the Angels wait until May.

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

You are absolutely joking yourself. Upton is hitting less than 100 batting average. If Bonds was on this team and not Justin Upton this team would be near the top of our division. You couldn't be more wrong. Justin Upton is an abomination of his former self. An average baseball player could close their eyes and swing and hit for better numbers than what Upton is doing right now at the plate. His defense is also just atrocious. 

Except I’m not wrong.  You are WAY over valuing Bonds or any other bat.  

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels problems go far beyond Upton. It is 80% pitching.

They do go further than Upton. Doesn't mean that Upton isn't a major problem. The GM is a major problem it seems, he's the one that put this team together. Spent a ton of money for a 5th place team in the AL West. He's gone at the end of the year. As are a lot of people on this roster. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I completely disagree with this assessment. If Upton was doing pre 2019 Upton things there's no way he's up here to just sit on the bench until maybe the last few weeks of the season to get some exposure. 

Also while there is no minor league season they are playing competitive intrasquad games against their teammates. So while it's not the same as a AAA season he's still able to play the field, run and get at bats against his teammates on a daily basis. 

Then why is Adell still up here?   

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels problems go far beyond Upton. It is 80% pitching.

While true, if Upton was providing production out of the 5th spot of the lineup we wouldn't be getting automatic outs from Adell and poor defense. Yes I understand Upton isn't a gold glover out there, but Adell has made him look like one. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

They do go further than Upton. Doesn't mean that Upton isn't a major problem. The GM is a major problem it seems, he's the one that put this team together. Spent a ton of money for a 5th place team in the AL West. He's gone at the end of the year. As are a lot of people on this roster. 

Again, I think Eppler gets a Covid pass for a year. Upton is a big problem, especially considering he's on payroll for two more years - but that's exactly why he needs to play. If they were fighting for a playoff berth, maybe not, but it isn't exactly like they have better options. 

I don't fault the Angels for promoting Adell. I was calling for it myself. 

I just didn't expect him to be this bad. Like Trout, Glaus and a few other top prospects they looked overmatched but they also demonstrated immense talent that made them our top pick in the draft. 

Adell other than two hard hit singles has looked as I accurately have said, a HOT MESS.