• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell is a hot mess

Chuck

I just don’t see a star in Adell. He doesn’t seem to have that “it” factor. That’s something you just can’t teach. I don’t know what it is but he just doesn’t seem like he has what a takes to be a good big league player. 

His swing is way to long.

He whiffs at a lot of pitches.

He has zero baseball IQ

His defense isn’t just horrible, it’s horrific.

I literally have zero confidence he will ever come through in a clutch spot. Look at Luis Robert or Tatis... those are superstars in the making. Adell isn’t that. 

At this point, we have the offense. I would not be mad or shocked if we traded him for some pitching. We don’t have 3 years to develop this kid. He’s a BIG work in progress. We need to win now.

24 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

What's concerning is there's been no flashes that get you excited about his potential. You'd at least expect to see some of that with prospects as highly rated as he is. The AB's don't look competitive, the swing doesn't look good, and the defense is brutal.

I think the flashes is he had 2-3 balls hit that stat cast said were 2 of the hardest hit balls this year.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think the flashes is he had 2-3 balls hit that stat cast said were 2 of the hardest hit balls this year.  

I was gonna mention that as the only real thing. It certainly backs up the talk about how much raw power he possesses. Still doesn't do much good until they re-work his swing though. Not gonna see that power when he's hitting the ball on the ground nearly 70% of the time

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

I was gonna mention that as the only real thing. It certainly backs up the talk about how much raw power he possesses. Still doesn't do much good until they re-work his swing though. Not gonna see that power when he's hitting the ball on the ground nearly 70% of the time

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen a hard hit ball yet until yesterday's double. Has he even hit one to the warning track? I haven't seen any of that raw power yet. 

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen a hard hit ball yet until yesterday's double. Has he even hit one to the warning track? I haven't seen any of that raw power yet. 

He hit a ball 116 MPH I believe. And another that was 109?   Something like that. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He hit a ball 116 MPH I believe. And another that was 109?   Something like that. 

Assuming it was foul or an out eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen him crush one yet in the air deep into the OF. 

Seems like way too many people here didn't ever see him play before his call up. 

He is supremely talented but he's not remotely ready....this was true before the season started it remains true now.  He's uber confident and that's going to serve him well but it's cost him too, that ole' wave today was 100% a guy trusting his physical skills so much he slacked on the fundamentals.  I hope someone lights him up for that.

He was getting his ass handed to him in AAA in a hitters league where guys like Ward, Thaiss, and Walsh were putting up 1.000 OPS offense.  He's looked exactly the way he did in AAA last year which should come as no surprise to anyone that's actually followed him and is aware of how little time he's seen above High A.... 70 games.

I doubt the Angels think he's ready and its more likely they believe steady at bats vs top of the line pitching is better for him than figuring out the same 7 guys he would be facing at the alternate site. But again he looks exactly like the guy he did at the end of last year, the only difference is he's now doing it vs the best players on the planet and in front of the best coaches in the system you'd hope.

Breathe bitches!

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Assuming it was foul or an out eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen him crush one yet in the air deep into the OF. 

Its almost like the ability to turn to turn on a pitch and elevate a FB are predictors for future success.  Neither of which he did at even league averages last year in AAA.  

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Its almost like the ability to turn to turn on a pitch and elevate a FB are predictors for future success.  Neither of which he did at even league averages last year in AAA.  

When I was wasting my time telling people clamoring for him to break camp with the team he wasn't ready I focused on his k rate but mentioned that was just the starting point.  His defensive routes have always been questionable, watching him and Marsh play defense regularly it was pretty clear how much better and further along Marsh was. 

But that K rate was the thing sticking out because it let you zone in on what he couldn't simply overcome as a hitter even with his pure physical skills.....the ability to spot the FB.  His swinging strike percentages as a whole and when compared to the league averages were elevated and below average, both on balls outside and inside the zone.  His pull rate on FBs were similarly below the league average, an indication that his struggles to pick up on the FB were keeping him from turning on those pitches that are most vital for long term success.  The ability to identify and turn on a FB is pretty much the final marker for determining when a guy is ready....  He's not there yet.   

You guys have all heard players say "I just went up there looking FB and blah blah blah....".   That's what he's failing at offensively, thats what he was failing at in AAA.  He's doing it .vs the very best in the world....  Of course he's gonna look awful, but the physical skills are there. 

The ability to elevate and drive, etc etc...  All dependent on unlocking the ability to see and turn on the FB.

46 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

I believe both were just hard hit singles

To expand on this ... Both were balls hit so hard that a legit defensive stud like Crawford had zero chance getting them.  It was behind him as he took his first step while being perfectly positioned. 

That's what that "overblown" stat is trying to tell us.  Its not like some dipshit in some booth somewhere is thinking ohh gee numbers are cool, its MLB people realizing the harder a ball is hit the less time the defense has to get to it.... Not unlike a hitter trying to catch up to 100 Mph FB vs Weavers hard 83.

I am looking forward to the eventual rise to the competition that has followed Jo Adell's very short career to this point. It could take place in the next 30 games or require more in AAA but eventually his physical skills and determination is going to pay off. Unlike some of the comments made in this thread. 

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

To expand on this ... Both were balls hit so hard that a legit defensive stud like Crawford had zero chance getting them.  It was behind him as he took his first step while being perfectly positioned. 

That's what that "overblown" stat is trying to tell us.  Its not like some dipshit in some booth somewhere is think ohh gee numbers are cool, its MLB people realizing the harder a ball is hit the less time the defense has to get to it.... Not unlike a hitter trying to catch up to 100 Mph FB vs Weavers hard 83.

It’s a noted skill that he has a quick bat speed. Kyle Berkshire is golfs long drive champion but he’s not a very good golfer. Adell has great potential but he’s not ready yet. I actually think he’s here two years too soon. That’s on the Angels because of their lack of true depth that forced the issue. 

17 minutes ago, RendZone said:

It’s a noted skill that he has a quick bat speed. Kyle Berkshire is golfs long drive champion but he’s not a very good golfer. Adell has great potential but he’s not ready yet. I actually think he’s here two years too soon. That’s on the Angels because of their lack of true depth that forced the issue.

"That's on the Angels". Lol... Its not the Angels fault that Covid 19 forced minor league baseball to be shut down for the first time ever.

I applaud you for coming to the realization he isn't ready but you're preaching to the choir, sir.  That said.... They didn't need him up, they don't need him up now IMO.  But I do believe they are doing what they have done with him from day one -- aggressively pushing him vs superior competition.  

I know its your eternal desire to fault the organization at every turn but you used to mask it better than this.  Again, troll smarter.  

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

"That's on the Angels". Lol... Its not the Angels fault that Covid 19 forced minor league baseball to be shut down for the first time ever.

I applaud you for coming to the realization he isn't ready but you're preaching to the choir, sir.  That said.... They didn't need him up, they don't need him up now IMO.  But I do believe they are doing what they have done with him from day one -- aggressively pushing him vs superior competition.  

I know its your eternal desire to fault the organization at every turn but you used to mask it better than this.  Again, troll smarter.  

Jo Adell is a hot mess

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Last Sunday he hit four balls 100+ mph. It’s something Trout has only done 3 times (since 2015 when they started tracking).

Its only happened like 12 times. 

But none really got in the air. 

Yeah he looks terrible out there

Selling low on him would be a total disaster for this franchise though. The time to move him was when he could have hauled back a Yelich or a Betts. They chose to hang onto him. And you just can’t move him now. It is what it is. Hopefully he figures it out or we’re in even bigger trouble