• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Billy Eppler's whiffs on acquiring starting pitching

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Billy.  Here are six dimes, two nickles, four toothpicks, a spoon, some dip spit and a car blanket with a dodgers logo.  Now build me a pitching staff.   or in real life Hey Billy.  You'

The pen has settled down after starting out as a dumpster fire.  That set the tone for this shit show of a season but I think we'll see them end up being pretty decent by the time this season is over.

Gray, traded for  Shed Long now a starting MLB 2B and a 1st round pick (which the Angels couldn't get or much less trade). Bauer traded for a 3 time Top 100 prospect Taylor Trammell, SP Scott Mos

Posted Images

Game 6, I did that intentionally due in large part because I don't come to the forum to draw lines in the sand and argue my position to the point of getting personal with fellow Angel fans.  Enough people do that here already.  Instead, I tend to enjoy the varying perspectives and the rationale behind them (though I really come here for information more than anything).

As I stated earlier, I don't pretend my opinion matters and quite honestly, don't have nearly enough insight to take a comfortable stand either way.  For example, I have no idea what has/hasn't been done behind the scenes with the scouting department (international or otherwise), the competency level of those layered within the organization, what kind of owner Arte is when the door is shut, etc.  I only know the circumstances Eppler inherited (quite honestly one of the worst situations in pro sports during my 40 years of following the Angels) and have very rarely not understood the rationale behind his decisions (though I didn't understand his first trade at all, but he was totally right).

I also admit to being more patient than many in our society today.  I also think we have to remember that with a new GM will come significant change at every level of the organization.....philosophy, minors, eventually coach (I know), player value, etc.  To me, this means a 3+ year re-tool during Mike's final prime years.  I would have to be damn sure I had the right guy this time. I also understand this is the very reason so many frustrated fans want him out....they are ready for wholesale change.

In the end, I would be reluctant to fire him this year for a number of reasons that the anti-Billy folks will view as excuses.  There is something really interesting and ironic that when the use of hindsight is viewed as a reason to keep a GM, it's excuse making.  But when hindsight without context is used to argue for a termination, it's fact finding.

Anyway, among those things to consider....admittedly given the advantage of hindsight on the season to-date....

*Covid.  I mean, the whole thing.

*Skaggs.  If you have ever worked closely with someone in your organization that has passed, you know that doesn't just "go away" after a couple of months.  That process can't be rushed and it sucks.

*Mike- Slowest start to his career.  Not on Eppler.

*Rendon- Takes over 1/6 of the season to adjust to the AL/Angels.  Not on Eppler.

*Ohtani- Eppler should never have "counted" on him.  That said, I'm not sure he really did as I don't recall a bunch of good arms without question marks behind them being available that fit Billy's budget.  Instead, I think Eppler tried to build some semblance of an 8-9 deep rotation and rolled out what he had.  What could or would he had done differently if he somehow knew Ohtani was going to be out early?  My guess is there is nothing he could have done.  Similar to Canning, who has had the good fortune to-date of being able to avoid further injury issues.

- As a hitter, his performance is not on Eppler.  

*Upton- Could have and perhaps should have seen this coming.  But I don't think anyone would have projected him to be THIS bad.  Furthermore, this isn't something to be evaluated "this year" anyway.  Eppler messed this up at resigning (again, using hindsight).  Even IF Eppler knew Upton would hit under .200 in the first 30+ games, he would not have done nothing different as he didn't have the money to put into another OF'er with Goodwin serviceable and Adell/Marsh on the way.  The extension is solely on Billy, but this level of poor performance is on Upton.

*Young pitchers not developing at the rate we'd like.  One could argue this is on Billy as he is overvaluing his own and that may be the truth.  He did bring in a new pitching coach, so I guess we'll see the final results shortly.

Game 6, I think I keep him around if I'm Arte.  I just don't think I put the blame of so many players underperforming in a weird year on the GM.  It's not to say I don't get it if he goes a different direction, but with what I know, he would stay.

Respectfully,

Wisconsin27

5 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

Game 6, I did that intentionally due in large part because I don't come to the forum to draw lines in the sand and argue my position to the point of getting personal with fellow Angel fans.  Enough people do that here already.  Instead, I tend to enjoy the varying perspectives and the rationale behind them (though I really come here for information more than anything).

As I stated earlier, I don't pretend my opinion matters and quite honestly, don't have nearly enough insight to take a comfortable stand either way.  For example, I have no idea what has/hasn't been done behind the scenes with the scouting department (international or otherwise), the competency level of those layered within the organization, what kind of owner Arte is when the door is shut, etc.  I only know the circumstances Eppler inherited (quite honestly one of the worst situations in pro sports during my 40 years of following the Angels) and have very rarely not understood the rationale behind his decisions (though I didn't understand his first trade at all, but he was totally right).

I also admit to being more patient than many in our society today.  I also think we have to remember that with a new GM will come significant change at every level of the organization.....philosophy, minors, eventually coach (I know), player value, etc.  To me, this means a 3+ year re-tool during Mike's final prime years.  I would have to be damn sure I had the right guy this time. I also understand this is the very reason so many frustrated fans want him out....they are ready for wholesale change.

In the end, I would be reluctant to fire him this year for a number of reasons that the anti-Billy folks will view as excuses.  There is something really interesting and ironic that when the use of hindsight is viewed as a reason to keep a GM, it's excuse making.  But when hindsight without context is used to argue for a termination, it's fact finding.

Anyway, among those things to consider....admittedly given the advantage of hindsight on the season to-date....

*Covid.  I mean, the whole thing.

*Skaggs.  If you have ever worked closely with someone in your organization that has passed, you know that doesn't just "go away" after a couple of months.  That process can't be rushed and it sucks.

*Mike- Slowest start to his career.  Not on Eppler.

*Rendon- Takes over 1/6 of the season to adjust to the AL/Angels.  Not on Eppler.

*Ohtani- Eppler should never have "counted" on him.  That said, I'm not sure he really did as I don't recall a bunch of good arms without question marks behind them being available that fit Billy's budget.  Instead, I think Eppler tried to build some semblance of an 8-9 deep rotation and rolled out what he had.  What could or would he had done differently if he somehow knew Ohtani was going to be out early?  My guess is there is nothing he could have done.  Similar to Canning, who has had the good fortune to-date of being able to avoid further injury issues.

- As a hitter, his performance is not on Eppler.  

*Upton- Could have and perhaps should have seen this coming.  But I don't think anyone would have projected him to be THIS bad.  Furthermore, this isn't something to be evaluated "this year" anyway.  Eppler messed this up at resigning (again, using hindsight).  Even IF Eppler knew Upton would hit under .200 in the first 30+ games, he would not have done nothing different as he didn't have the money to put into another OF'er with Goodwin serviceable and Adell/Marsh on the way.  The extension is solely on Billy, but this level of poor performance is on Upton.

*Young pitchers not developing at the rate we'd like.  One could argue this is on Billy as he is overvaluing his own and that may be the truth.  He did bring in a new pitching coach, so I guess we'll see the final results shortly.

Game 6, I think I keep him around if I'm Arte.  I just don't think I put the blame of so many players underperforming in a weird year on the GM.  It's not to say I don't get it if he goes a different direction, but with what I know, he would stay.

Respectfully,

Wisconsin27

Hi.

You should post more.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:49 PM, Lou said:

And if he had signed Cole, would you be saying the same thing about the pitching? 

No.  Because he has gotten us Bundy Canning, Cole, Ranirez, Pena, Robles (he got is one good year), Pettit (mistake was letting him go, Barria (one good year so far), and Parker Bridwell who gave us one good year.

Eppler has been ok on pitching except he hasn't gotten us an Ace.  He has had horrible injury luck and no budget to replace one.

I am not as critical on Eppler.  I wouldnt mind giving him one more year.  However he deserves of criticism for not improving the team in five years.  In fact the team has regressed.

Edited by stormngt
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, khouse said:

"Sherman says former Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski’s name has come up “voluminously” in relation to the potential Angels opening. Dombrowski is a win-now executive who is unafraid to trade prospects for proven talent. That philosophy aligns with that of owner Arte Moreno. Dombrowski’s friend Tony La Russa is a senior advisor with the club as well."

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

"Sherman says former Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski’s name has come up “voluminously” in relation to the potential Angels opening. Dombrowski is a win-now executive who is unafraid to trade prospects for proven talent. That philosophy aligns with that of owner Arte Moreno. Dombrowski’s friend Tony La Russa is a senior advisor with the club as well."

Win now got us into this F up situation to begin with.