• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Billy Eppler's whiffs on acquiring starting pitching

On 8/22/2020 at 11:47 PM, Chuckster70 said:

la-1544590321-naszq8qi3b-snap-image.jpeg

It's widely known that before the trade Billy Eppler made this offseason to acquire Dylan Bundy, the Angels GM has swung and missed on acquiring & signing viable major league starting pitchers to date. One could also argue his track record of trading for and signing major league hitters is questionable as well you consider Cozart & Upton, but he's done much better in that department than pitching. Goodwin, La Stella and in a small sample size Stassi have been pretty solid. 

The jury is still out on Canning and Sandoval, one of which he drafted and the other who Eppler acquired from Houston in the Maldonado trade. There's also hope in the Angels 1st round pick Reid Detmers, Chris Rodriguez and a few other pitching prospects down the road, but in terms of results from the arms he has acquired, drafted & signed to date, there is little to be desired.

Let's take a look....

Chacin: 4.81 ERA, (2016)

Nolasco: 4.44 ERA (2016), 4.92 ERA (2017)

Meyer: 3.74 ERA (2018), 5.68 ERA (2017) 19 total starts across two seasons * RETIRED

Lincecum: 9.16 ERA (2016)

Despaigne: 8.20 ERA (2018)

McGuire: 6.07 ERA (2018)

JC Ramirez 4.15 ERA (2017), 9.45 ERA (2018), 4.50 ERA (2019) *Used mostly as a starter

Pena: 4.58 ERA (2019), 4.18 ERA (2018) across 15 starts *Used mostly in relief

Sandoval: 5.19 ERA across 13 starts

Canning: 4.62 across 22 starts

Ohtani: 4.39 ERA across 12 starts

Peters: 5.38 ERA (2019) 

Cahill: 5.98 ERA (2019) 

Harvey: 7.09 ERA (2019) 

Stratton: 8.59 ERA (2019) 

Andriese: 6.50 ERA (2020) 1 start, mostly in relief

Teheran: 10.38 ERA (2020) 3 starts

Bundy: 2.48 ERA (2020) through 5 starts! 

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!  

Most people can say "you win some, you lose some" in life. Billy Eppler unfortunately has whiffed more than Dave Kingman blindfolded when it has come to acquiring viable major league talent that can take the ball every 5th or 6th day. 

If the rotation doesn't turn things around prior to the trade deadline and if the Angels miss out on yet another playoff berth since Eppler became the GM prior to the 2016 season, the Angels GM may find himself out of a job shortly after the conclusion of this 2020 campaign. 

You post, although accurate is really unfair.  Eppler was handed a crapoy farm system and no budget room to sign quality players so he had to gamble on the famous "clean peanut" route.  When you are forced to take that strategy you will have far more failures than successes.

Pitchers like Lincecum, ans Harbey were gambles.

Pena, Ramirez, Nolasco and Chacin were not bad pickups considering the limited resources available to Eppler.

Then remember the injuries to Meyers and Ramirez.  True Meyers had injury issues in the past but again, remember the cost to acquire him and Epplers limited resources 

Sandavol and Canning is to be determined and Ohtani injury.

None of his moves reaches the level of disaster as Wells, Pujols, and Hamilton.   

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Billy.  Here are six dimes, two nickles, four toothpicks, a spoon, some dip spit and a car blanket with a dodgers logo.  Now build me a pitching staff.   or in real life Hey Billy.  You'

The pen has settled down after starting out as a dumpster fire.  That set the tone for this shit show of a season but I think we'll see them end up being pretty decent by the time this season is over.

Gray, traded for  Shed Long now a starting MLB 2B and a 1st round pick (which the Angels couldn't get or much less trade). Bauer traded for a 3 time Top 100 prospect Taylor Trammell, SP Scott Mos

Posted Images

On 8/23/2020 at 11:23 AM, cvdog said:

Clearly finding pitching talent is hardly in Billy's wheelhouse. Harvey, Stratton & Cahill alone should have gotten him fired. He'll be gone after this stupid little season is over.

Three pitchers with no long term commitment.  No he shouldn't get fired for those moves.

True he he deserves to be fired for not improving the team in 5 years 

My big concern is the lack of progression on the farm in the upper minors. The farm system he inherited sucked, we all get that. He wasn’t going to turn lemons into lemonade in a year. But 5 years later I was really hoping we’d have a solid amount of guys in the high minors ready to come up and make an impact. I’m not seeing the massive improvement in farm quality that some are stating, really. It’s clearly better than the Dipoto days. 5 years of losing you would think we’d have a top 10 farm at least. 

its true some of the reason why we don’t have a great farm is because we’re always trying to win with Trout and are never really being true sellers(not selling Simmons last year for example)

but why is it that certain teams that have been winning And looking to bolster their current team the last 4-5 years STILL have a better Farm than us.

to me that is an indictment on the scouting and the inability to evaluate and then develop talent, whether it’s from the draft or from the international pool

thats why I feel like we’re in purgatory right now as a franchise. The money is already spent so it’s impossible now to upgrade the team through free agency. And we don’t have the talent coming up through the minors to get better on our own. That’s the main reason why we’re in huge trouble the next 3-4 years I think

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

You post, although accurate is really unfair.  Eppler was handed a crapoy farm system and no budget room to sign quality players so he had to gamble on the famous "clean peanut" route.  When you are forced to take that strategy you will have far more failures than successes.

Pitchers like Lincecum, ans Harbey were gambles.

Pena, Ramirez, Nolasco and Chacin were not bad pickups considering the limited resources available to Eppler.

Then remember the injuries to Meyers and Ramirez.  True Meyers had injury issues in the past but again, remember the cost to acquire him and Epplers limited resources 

Sandavol and Canning is to be determined and Ohtani injury.

None of his moves reaches the level of disaster as Wells, Pujols, and Hamilton.   

I don't know if I agree with this. Is it more difficult to get good pitching than good hitting? Eppler was able to purchase good hitting. Why? Because that was his priority. When he tried to acquire good, but expensive,  pitchers he was often thwarted. Maybe it's bad luck, but that was his job.

27 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't know if I agree with this. Is it more difficult to get good pitching than good hitting? Eppler was able to purchase good hitting. Why? Because that was his priority. When he tried to acquire good, but expensive,  pitchers he was often thwarted. Maybe it's bad luck, but that was his job.

I think this supports the notion that it is, in fact, more difficult to obtain good pitching.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

In fairness what good hitting did he get other than Rendon?  And we only got him because we failed to get Cole.

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Hey @Stradlinghow is it trolling to say the GM is shit?

Referring to him as a pile of shit is trolling.  If you want to say he sucks at his job so be it.  Calling him a pile of shit is far from being objective.  You are welcome to disagree with me.  I don’t mind.

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

Saying he's done a shitty job isn't trolling.

Calling him a POS is. You're better than that. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Referring to him as a pile of shit is trolling.  If you want to say he sucks at his job so be it.  Calling him a pile of shit is far from being objective.  You are welcome to disagree with me.  I don’t mind.

I didn't mean that he was a shitty person, I meant he's a shitty GM.

I've been reading this forum multiple times daily for the past few years, but rarely post.  I come here for information, insight, and enjoy the dialogue held by many of the regulars.

This particular thread really speaks to the overall perspective of many on the board.  We have people who love to use hindsight as a means by which to determine their perspective, but in the process lose track of all reality of the things that were in play when the moves were made.  So "FIre Eppler" is the obvious response because, somehow, someone else would have made the right decisions had they been in charge.  We also have many engaged posters who remember the circumstances that truly existed when said moves were made.  Those are the ones that I appreciate reading and the reason I come back to this site every morning, lunch break, and evening.

I can see Arte going either way on Eppler.  It's his choice and I'm not naive enough to wonder if what I think really matters.  That's on him.  And quite honestly, I won't blame him for either direction he chooses.  I'll still be a fan and following them daily.

What I get a kick out of is how folks are so eager to lay blame at Eppler's feet.  And quite honestly, to give him more props than he deserves for the ones he hits on.  He gets beat up for Cahill and Harvey.  Yet, do folks remember what was really available at 10 mil at the time of their signing?  He had a rotation to fill with a limited budget.  He took a chance on a guy with a decent past in terms of stability (Cahill) and a project.  He lost.  For one year, he lost.

This year, he's in the same situation.  He struck out on the expensive pitching for all the reasons stated here, which were almost entirely out of his control.  He went Rendon, which will pay dividends.  He again went for some career stability (Teheran) and a project (Bundy).  In an extremely small sample size, he's judged.  Yet, if this was a 162, I would wager Teheran would get closer to his career norms and Bundy would fall back closer to his.  We are over-reacting to both, imo, but what can't be lost is the cards he was dealt.  He had to do something (!) and went Rendon after the top pitches said no.  Even with hindsight, was he to avoid Rendon and wait for another day while Trout was in his prime?  This board would be on fire.

As many have stated, until this organization develops its own (which Covid certainly didn't help), it will be in trouble.  I really think the lack of development from guys like Heaney, Canning, Sandoval, etc. is what has hurt more than anything...outside of unfortunate injury luck (and inherited contracts) out of Eppler's control.  And yes, he can "own" Upton.  But to look back with hindsight and say he shoulda and coulda without context is an exercise in futility.

3 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I've been reading this forum multiple times daily for the past few years, but rarely post.  I come here for information, insight, and enjoy the dialogue held by many of the regulars.

This particular thread really speaks to the overall perspective of many on the board.  We have people who love to use hindsight as a means by which to determine their perspective, but in the process lose track of all reality of the things that were in play when the moves were made.  So "FIre Eppler" is the obvious response because, somehow, someone else would have made the right decisions had they been in charge.  We also have many engaged posters who remember the circumstances that truly existed when said moves were made.  Those are the ones that I appreciate reading and the reason I come back to this site every morning, lunch break, and evening.

I can see Arte going either way on Eppler.  It's his choice and I'm not naive enough to wonder if what I think really matters.  That's on him.  And quite honestly, I won't blame him for either direction he chooses.  I'll still be a fan and following them daily.

What I get a kick out of is how folks are so eager to lay blame at Eppler's feet.  And quite honestly, to give him more props than he deserves for the ones he hits on.  He gets beat up for Cahill and Harvey.  Yet, do folks remember what was really available at 10 mil at the time of their signing?  He had a rotation to fill with a limited budget.  He took a chance on a guy with a decent past in terms of stability (Cahill) and a project.  He lost.  For one year, he lost.

This year, he's in the same situation.  He struck out on the expensive pitching for all the reasons stated here, which were almost entirely out of his control.  He went Rendon, which will pay dividends.  He again went for some career stability (Teheran) and a project (Bundy).  In an extremely small sample size, he's judged.  Yet, if this was a 162, I would wager Teheran would get closer to his career norms and Bundy would fall back closer to his.  We are over-reacting to both, imo, but what can't be lost is the cards he was dealt.  He had to do something (!) and went Rendon after the top pitches said no.  Even with hindsight, was he to avoid Rendon and wait for another day while Trout was in his prime?  This board would be on fire.

As many have stated, until this organization develops its own (which Covid certainly didn't help), it will be in trouble.  I really think the lack of development from guys like Heaney, Canning, Sandoval, etc. is what has hurt more than anything...outside of unfortunate injury luck (and inherited contracts) out of Eppler's control.  And yes, he can "own" Upton.  But to look back with hindsight and say he shoulda and coulda without context is an exercise in futility.

Hi.

You should post more. 

1 hour ago, Wisconsin27 said:

Yea you are a stud and need to be more present.  We need more common sense and well thought out opinions.  Thanks for the post.