• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Idiotic Unwritten Rules

kevinb

The score was 10-3 in the 8th inning.  Why isn’t the pitcher on the losing side just throwing strikes instead of messing around in that at bat in the first place getting himself into a 3-0 count?

It’s fine for the pitcher to “compete” and try to work the corners being careful but it isn’t fine for the hitter to compete?

If you don’t want a 3-0 pitch to get hammered, then don’t get yourself into a 3-0 count.

Stupid.

13 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Bunting to break up a no-hitter is another one.  A bunt hit is still a hit and if they're down they need men on base.  It aint over till its over.

I blame the infielders for a hitter bunting for a base hit.  The reality is the infielders are likely exploiting this “unwritten rule” (to not bunt for a base hit to break up a no hitter) by playing a step and a half deeper defensively.

Play defense to not tempt the hitter to bunt, or at the very least where the bunt has to be absolutely freaking perfect to be successful.

If the hitter can still then execute an absolutely perfect bunt against that pitcher, that is as legitimate a hit as any other hit.

If you play back and “give them the bunt” and the hitter takes it, that’s your defense trying to exploit the situation, not the hitter exploiting the situation.

There is no unwritten rule of not swinging at 3-0 pitch when you have a big lead.  This is something created by a pussy who got their feelings hurt when they failed to execute the pitch.  Just another example of the continued pussonification of a great sport.

9 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Um, every sport has issues with running up the score. 

Swinging 3-0 is a pretty dick move; the only caveat is that baseball comebacks are possible.

I feel like the people complaining about the unwritten rules are ironically the old people, whereas young fans like the fights. The players obviously like them, and they're younger than most of us.

I think people are confusing old people with tradition. Barbie dolls have been around a long time, but that doesn't mean they're for old people.

Let me know the last time an NBA player had to apologize.  or in the NFL.

Or someone in those sports did the equivalent of throwing a fastball behind the next batter's head.

And this

Swinging 3-0 is a pretty dick move;

is nonsensical.  Need to go back to troll school and take a remedial course.

9 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Um, every sport has issues with running up the score. 

Swinging 3-0 is a pretty dick move; the only caveat is that baseball comebacks are possible.

I feel like the people complaining about the unwritten rules are ironically the old people, whereas young fans like the fights. The players obviously like them, and they're younger than most of us.

I think people are confusing old people with tradition. Barbie dolls have been around a long time, but that doesn't mean they're for old people.

No, it is not.

Based on this logic, every Ranger batter should be provided a favorable count because if the Padres pitcher retires them easily, that would also be a dick move.  Play the game....if you can't throw a strike in a set of three pitches, that is a pitcher problem, not an unwritten rule problem.  This is the major leagues, the best athletes competing at the highest level, let them compete and play the game as intended.  This is no different than the occasional lop-sided games that occur.....no one is getting their panties wadded up over such a score differential with them.  It happens.  The Rangers need to grow a pair, pull their pants up and take it to the Padres the next game.  That's what men should do, not cry about it on fucking twatter.

7 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I love baseball but sometimes I don’t understand what’s wrong with this sport. It’s infuriating this is actually something. 

Played baseball all my life, umpired for almost 20 years and I have never heard of you cant swing on a 3-0 count. NO bunting during a no-hitter is stupid but I've heard of this one. I think they are making this sht up as they go.

Just now, Randy Gradishar said:

Like I said, that's the caveat. If the count was 3-1, no issue. Hit-and-run: major dick move. I feel like most of the sportsmanlike conduct is on the managers.

Swinging 3-0 is probably smack dab in "kinda dick". For one, it's also a manager's call (so not really on Tatis). Not a huge deal, but also not a huge deal for the other team to get upset.

Let's say Tatis grounds out with a 3-0 count....or pops out with a 3-0 count.....are we still talking about this?

4 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Depends how the Rangers react. Like I said, it's the manager's fault more than Tatis.

Who cares how the Rangers react.  That is another example of the pussonification of baseball if that is a real concern.

I am at a loss for words.......its a sport.....the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat is part of the deal....again, the Rangers need to either toughen up or change their name to the Dipotos and give up because their feelings were hurt.