• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you had total control, what 3 things would you do immediately?

Dtwncbad

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Well we will see what next year brings as far as the roster goes.  This “valuable” roster space really isn’t that valuable when the money is spent on Albert and his replacement will be someone from the farm at league minimum, someone like Ward or Walsh.  The difference in performance will be negligible.  

I realize this sounds like I am defending Albert, I am not.  I am just pointing out that Arte is not going to spend money to replace him with anyone really all that better while paying him.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly

The one benefit from buying them out over say 5 years would be freeing up budget money for the upcoming season.

But yeah, Upton will be here at least into June 2021.

Upton is on the payroll all of 2022.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I realize this sounds like I am defending Albert, I am not.  I am just pointing out that Arte is not going to spend money to replace him with anyone really all that better while paying him.  

I think it’s the valuable roster that’s the issue. The Angels are a class organization so they will honor his contract and let him chase his milestones. That’s fine but it comes at the expense of sacrificing wins. It’s not about trying find another $30M first basemen, it’s about moving on from Albert clogging up the lineup card. Do we want to win or keep watching a guy that can no longer run to first base. Sad to say, he needs to go.

3 minutes ago, RendZone said:

I think it’s the valuable roster that’s the issue. The Angels are a class organization so they will honor his contract and let him chase his milestones. That’s fine but it comes at the expense of sacrificing wins. It’s not about trying find another $30M first basemen, it’s about moving on from Albert clogging up the lineup card. Do we want to win or keep watching a guy that can no longer run to first base. Sad to say, he needs to go.

You are welcome to believe that Walsh or Ward would give you “wins” over Albert.  

57 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m not advocating for him to spend money but I would certainly rather have any of the kids on the roster than Pujols. Not even a question for me

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are welcome to believe that Walsh or Ward would give you “wins” over Albert.  

Walsh is 27 years old. He did have great AAA numbers in the PCL. You have to be able to put the barrel on the ball to hit 36 home runs no matter what league you play in. Ward shouldn’t be here and that’s on Eppler. If Albert was giving us Nelson Cruz type production we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Let him catch and pass Mays and let him go. 

Regarding Pujols etc, I'd like to see the Angels play for next year and beyond. Pujols should barely factor into 2021 and then, of course, is gone. Meaning, him getting playing time only helps if he is contributing (he mostly isn't). He'll pass Mays but needs to give up on the pipe-dream of 700 HR..unless the Cardinals bring him back for a nostalgia tour in 2022, but even then I don't see him getting the playing time in 2021-22 to get the 30-35 HR he'll need after this year to get there. La Stella is likely the primary 1B next year, but they should still be auditioning alternates. Of the Trinity of Mediocrity, I like Thaiss the best in terms of upside - I don't see Ward or Walsh ever being major league regulars, while Thaiss has Spiezio/Moreland potential and needs regular at-bats to adjust to the majors. He should be getting some now so that he can contribute next year.

I'm not sure giving Adell playing time is helping him - he seems much further from being major league ready than anyone expected and needs to work on some fundamentals. Send him down and take a look at Brandon Marsh. I assume he's working on 1B defense right now, but let's see him in the majors in the outfield.

I'm not releasing Upton. He's not beyond hope.  I'm playing him less.

The Angels aren't releasing Pujols.

Or Upton.  He was not good last year. He was not even mediocre.  He's only been horrible for, what, 70 plate appearances?  He's got two years left. If he's not injured you've gotta give it some time. In a short season that means he's not going anywhere this year.

Especially when Adell hasn't started off very well.

1. Trade Simmons, La Stella, and maybe even try to package Marsh with Upton to get GOOD cost controlled pitching, both front line and relief. 

2. Try to sign Bauer in the off-season to go along with Bundy and Heaney. Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Sandoval, Canning/Barria/Suarez/some random FA pickup/trade (don't even factor Ohtani in here)

3. Bench Albert for good. 

1. Keep focused with the current offense, as is.  (Upton's a gamer, he'll bounce back in a big way, give the guy a break who's been trying to shake off that weird injury since the 2019 beginning).  

2.  Who wouldn't want a Ryan Yarborough or Nathan Eovaldi type added to their pitching corps?  Reinforce it that way, and take a page out of TB's book from last season. Clubs that aren't solid atop w/ their SP can win w/ solid arms for the middle (versatile at SP).  Focus on the underscore.   

3.   Adell needs more work, still too green, send him back down to work on some things with the bat.  Like, try easier.

Since I have total control, blow up team payroll on the scale of the Dodgers circa 2014-15. The Dogs were able to unload bad contracts while actually improving their farm by being committed to making trades that didn't send any prospects of value.  This kept them at payroll far above  the next highest (Yankees) and in 2015, almost 90m above the 3rd highest (RSox) and allowed them to reshape the team while positioning themselves for their recent success.

--Unload bad contracts (Upton/Pujols) by any means necessary that does not include prospects, but may include outright buyout.  

-Refuse to be outbid for Bauer, and pick up another top of the rotation arm to go along with our only other one, Bundy (may it continue).  Heaney is 4, Canning 5. 

-Like some others have said, become the MLB leader in scouting both domestically and internationally.  Create an unmatched Dominican training complex and hire staff with integrity.

After a few years, the farm should start to bring payroll down and we can come under the Tax threshold.  Obviously this will cost a ton for a while but what use is having total control if you can't spend the hell out of Arte's money?  

On 8/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, Inside Pitch said:

1 -- Double or more the scouting and player development budget.   You make all that money back on the money you save not spending on mediocrities in FA
2 -- Double the analytics and information department budget.  
3 -- Wait 6 months then ask the scouting/player development and analytics/information departments if they need more money.

have to agree with all this.

If there is one thing I admire the hell out of, as much as i hate the dodgers, is how well theyve drafted and developed the last decade.

At first it was kershaw, and money thrown at some other teams stars. But holy sh*t, between pitching and hitting, theyve rolled out homemade stars while drafting late with their success.

Again, I hope they all die. But whatever the hell theyre doing, mimic that.

That and let Tad be the one fan allowed to roam the stands right now during games.

ill get hammered here, but I am fine with playing pujols.

This team isnt winning this year. As much as hes sucked as an Angel, hes still an all time great... let him play out his twilight.

If we were in an actual position to win, Id feel different. But i dont see him hurting us any more than the pen right now. So let him pad his stats.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

ill get hammered here, but I am fine with playing pujols.

This team isnt winning this year. As much as hes sucked as an Angel, hes still an all time great... let him play out his twilight.

If we were in an actual position to win, Id feel different. But i dont see him hurting us any more than the pen right now. So let him pad his stats.

I don’t think anyone would mind if he was actually padding his stats.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, RendZone said:

Ok so how many years would it take for that particular move to do us any good? They need to hire someone to run the entire baseball operation. Those other things come with it. Hand the steering wheel over to someone that will hire the right people for the right jobs. I think Eppler lost his credibility when he tried to put his buddy Ausmus in. That was a huge mistake. 
The Arte/Carpino/Eppler management team is not getting it done. 

4byvuf.jpg

Do any of you have any idea what kind of a toe/foot injury J-Up suffered last year?  Regardless that he returned after it, he was forced to shut it down about the same time as Trout last season, Sept 10, granted the team was out of it.  He just couldn't return fully to form.

Understandable.  Imagine running barefooted with snapping your big toe upon impact and how that splits the foot, inside.  Well, that happened with him in a shoe, somehow.

He suffered a Grade III sprain, and he's lucky enough that he didn't have to have surgery with the x-ray negative then.  Consider the part of the body that takes forever to heal with all the weight pressure on it regularly, straining, that is the foot.   

https://www.thefantasydoctors.com/mlb-inj/what-to-make-of-the-justin-upton-toe-injury/

20 hours ago, HaloRed said:

Do any of you have any idea what kind of a toe/foot injury J-Up suffered last year?  Regardless that he returned after it, he was forced to shut it down about the same time as Trout last season, Sept 10, granted the team was out of it.  He just couldn't return fully to form.

Understandable.  Imagine running barefooted with snapping your big toe upon impact and how that splits the foot, inside.  Well, that happened with him in a shoe, somehow.

He suffered a Grade III sprain, and he's lucky enough that he didn't have to have surgery with the x-ray negative then.  Consider the part of the body that takes forever to heal with all the weight pressure on it regularly, straining, that is the foot.   

https://www.thefantasydoctors.com/mlb-inj/what-to-make-of-the-justin-upton-toe-injury/

Thank you for posting this. 

21 hours ago, HaloRed said:

You're saying he's hitting under. 100 because he hurt his toe 1 1/2 years ago?