• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Worst take ever award goes to... "I’m not impressed with Shohei Ohtani" (August 15, 2020) - AngelsJunky

Worst take on Shohei was easily the one where he had been ruined, and was never going to be a two player so he needed to pick one or find himself out of MLB.  I cant be the only one that remembers that one -- or maybe I just remember because I still saw it the 200 or so times it was hidden for being off topic or an attempt to derail threads..

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe his bat is a little streaky but he should be fine if he just stays healthy.

His bat went south as soon as his only protection in the lineup was Rich Gosselin hitting behind him. 

While he should have just taken the walks, I can see how it would affect your approach at the plate when you know you're the only slugger/producer in the lineup. 

Next season as long as Trout and Rendon can stay healthy Ohtani should be fine. It would be great if the team could add a legit leadoff guy too. 

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

The Angels don't have much time to be patient with Justin Upton – The  Athletic

He sure had a good run in the leadoff spot. But as always he couldn't stay on the field and got injured not once, not twice but three times this season costing him way too much time on the IL.

Maddon also F'd up by moving him out of the leadoff spot after he came back from the IL after he had success there because Fletcher was on a run. I mean, he could have easily just kept Upton in the leadoff spot and moved Fletcher down to second, Ohtani third. But Maddon loves his righty/lefty BS in the lineup. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe his bat is a little streaky but he should be fine if he just stays healthy.

The fact that he's been bad over the last month and a half implies more than streakiness, but deep exhaustion. Maybe he builds up stamina, or maybe the Angels should give him more days off next year, which would make sense because they will (theoretically) have their other two elite hitters back in the lineup.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

His bat went south as soon as his only protection in the lineup was Rich Gosselin hitting behind him. 

While he should have just taken the walks, I can see how it would affect your approach at the plate when you know you're the only slugger/producer in the lineup. 

Next season as long as Trout and Rendon can stay healthy Ohtani should be fine. It would be great if the team could add a legit leadoff guy too. 

No his bat went south when he decided to change his approach and pull everything.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

No his bat went south when he decided to change his approach and pull everything.  

That's part of it too. I still wonder how much the HR Derby affected his approach since he was pulling everything in that HR derby. 

22 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That's part of it too. I still wonder how much the HR Derby affected his approach since he was pulling everything in that HR derby. 

It was 3 minutes. He was out after the first round.  I think it’s being greatly exaggerated.  Chuck you work out a ton, if back in July you said, “fuck it” and went balls out for 3 minutes.  You went as hard as you possibly could for 3 minutes.  If you didn’t get injured do you think it would have any impact on you 8 weeks later?

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was 3 minutes. He was out after the first round.  I think it’s being greatly exaggerated.  Chuck you work out a ton, if back in July you said, “fuck it” and went balls out for 3 minutes.  You went as hard as you possibly could for 3 minutes.  If you didn’t get injured do you think it would have any impact on you 8 weeks later?

I get it, but I wonder if these hitters in the derby try to alter their swings in preparation for the HR derby. He was clearly trying pull every pitch. 

Just a weird coincidence for him to stop going the other way after the derby and the major slump that ensued after. 

Either way, if he would have kept the same approach in the second half that he had in the first half, I believe he'd be at 50 HR already. 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, Angelsjunky said:

He is significantly worse this year then last, which was a big drop from his rookie year. It would seem there’s an easy book on Ohtani and he hasn’t adjusted yet. Obviously I hope he does, but I don’t think it is irrational to be concerned.

Pitchers won't pitch because he has no protection