• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What’s the first major news story you remember?

Tank

Off the top of my head,

Beirut Barracks bombing.... almost married a girl who lost her dad in it.

Grenada invasion maybe. 

Challenger explosion. 

Not a single event, but AIDS hysteria.

I used to watch the news every night with my dad, so even as a little kid, I remember paying attention to world events. I remember media coverage of us and Libya, Iran Iraq war, Soviets in Afghanistan, etc etc.

As a kid that stuff should have probably scared me. But I had already seen Dudley get raped by the bike store guy, so I was already scarred.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, Stradling said:

For me it is Elvis dying.  I vaguely remember the long gas lines.  I remember Reagan taking office and the hostages being released.  I remember Nadia Comaneci being a thing.   

Lol.. was gonna mention nadia, but didnt think of it as an event. Just a movie EVERYBODY saw, but nobody remembers now.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:23 PM, Lhalo said:

I saw an awesome video of Desert Storm the other day. It describes in detail how the bombing kicked off. There were an unbelievable amount of planes, bombs and missiles in the air that night.

Just finished a book about the air campaign.

Desert Storm is one of my favorite ones to research, because it was the last real conventional war. Actual full fledged militaries. And it had a mix of both cold war and next war tech. Introduction of perfected smart weapons, stealth, night vision, standoff weapons, etc etc.

Its crazy because if youre old enough, it doesnt seem that long ago. And we still use a lot of the same tech. But so much of it is so outdated by todays standards.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Desert Storm is one of my favorite ones to research, because it was the last real conventional war. Actual full fledged militaries. And it had a mix of both cold war and next war tech. Introduction of perfected smart weapons, stealth, night vision, standoff weapons, etc etc.

Its crazy because if youre old enough, it doesnt seem that long ago. And we still use a lot of the same tech. But so much of it is so outdated by todays standards.

I never knew that we dropped glider drones over Baghdad to trick the radar sites into exposing themselves. Well played.

(13:34 time stamp)

3 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I never knew that we dropped glider drones over Baghdad to trick the radar sites into exposing themselves. Well played.

If shit ever gets declassified I've got some stories about Desert Storm and how they had no idea what hit them

19 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As a full participant it still blows me away that it was 30 years ago. It blows me away even more that as I type this I'm sitting at a desk about a half mile from where the first planes landed to kick it off

I'll just say that there were multiple times in which Iraqis were hit with weapons they never knew had been fired. Most still not public knowledge.

Without making this a political discussion, Bush II gets the blame for putting Malaki in place without a constitution that gave the Kurds or Sunnis any protection. ISIS was an inevitable result

6 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If shit ever gets declassified I've got some stories about Desert Storm and how they had no idea what hit them

I love the technical side of battle. It's hard to tell who tells the truth due to clearance and OPSEC but it would be great to hear your stories if you can eventually tell them. Desert Storm was a lesson in air superiority and logistics among other strategies. I'm not a fan of war but I have to give it up to Schwarzkopf and Larry Henry

9 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Without making this a political discussion, Bush II gets the blame for putting Malaki in place without a constitution that gave the Kurds or Sunnis any protection. ISIS was an inevitable result

Agreed. It's terrible that the Kurds are left nearly alone fighting the Turks, ISIS, Iran and every other neighbor without US backing. They must not have enough spice.

13 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Yep, got the idea from Israel. I wonder if that would work again? (Im sure it would)

My favorite tom clancy book had a similar scenario in it. Essentially, you can mimic and swarm pretty easily, and overwhelm a defense grid.

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

As a full participant it still blows me away that it was 30 years ago. It blows me away even more that as I type this I'm sitting at a desk about a half mile from where the first planes landed to kick it off

lol, small world. 

And was hoping youd jump in here.

How crazy is it that the F-15 for example is still pretty much front line. And the abrams, and bradley. And tomahawks. 

But the 117, f-18, most of the navy planes, etc etc are outdated or retired. 

That war basically closed a chapter and started a new one.

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Just change the names like opfor uses!

Are you getting at weapons we dont acknowledge publicly, or just that Iraq didnt know we had?

Not sure if it mentioned in that video, but the opening salvo was actually Army aviation taking out radar sites, which is pretty cool when you think of stealth and cruise missiles. But it was Apaches kicking the door in.

From a logistics standpoint, think about how much went into coordinating perhaps 1000 airplanes, from different nations, coming from the gulf, red sea, and Saudi, (B-52s from Diego Garcia!), all needed gas before going in, hitting at the same time, along with cruise missiles fired from ships and subs hundreds of miles away.

Again, forget about the human toll for a second, and just wrap your head around how technical and complicated that whole thing was.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just change the names like opfor uses!

Are you getting at weapons we dont acknowledge publicly, or just that Iraq didnt know we had?

Not sure if it mentioned in that video, but the opening salvo was actually Army aviation taking out radar sites, which is pretty cool when you think of stealth and cruise missiles. But it was Apaches kicking the door in.

From a logistics standpoint, think about how much went into coordinating perhaps 1000 airplanes, from different nations, coming from the gulf, red sea, and Saudi, (B-52s from Diego Garcia!), all needed gas before going in, hitting at the same time, along with cruise missiles fired from ships and subs hundreds of miles away.

Again, forget about the human toll for a second, and just wrap your head around how technical and complicated that whole thing was.

It’s both weapons and tactics that were used. 
I’ve been out of the US military for 25 years now but we’ve always practiced large force employments. You might go into work one day and be told we’re launching everything that’s fit to fly at 11:45 tonight and it’s all comm out and in the dark. The US Air Force trains for everything. 
And for those wanting me to say more just remember I’m not a member of the Trump family. I had to earn my security clearance and I’d like to keep it