• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What’s the first major news story you remember?

Tank

On 8/14/2020 at 1:19 AM, Tank said:

For me it was ML Kings assassination (April) followed two months later by RFKs assassination (June). I was 8 at the time.

Hmm, curiously, I'd also say the RFK assassination - I remember it clearly 'cause of the irony - I was probably trying to watch cartoons on tv when the Special Reports broke in - I remember calling out to my mom telling her "Someone shot Kennedy" - and from the other room, she kinda laughed and said "Oh, no,  that happened years ago."

I could see it right in front of me - but didn't want to correct her., 'cause I knew she liked him.   I just turned the volume up so she could hear for herself, eventually.  

Kind of like the Challenger - we heard it at work, and I went to tell a couple of guys about it, and I  - but I found I couldn't break in to their conversation to tell them.  Finally, I just turned on someone's radio,  turned it to the news station, and let them hear it themselves. 

That's one of those things that hit shockingly hard.  

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Kind of like the Challenger - we heard it at work, and I went to tell a couple of guys about it, and I  - but I found I couldn't break in to their conversation to tell them.  Finally, I just turned on someone's radio,  turned it to the news station, and let them hear it themselves. 

reminds me of when magic johnson announced his retirement because of HIV. it was parent-teacher conference day at school, and i was meeting with a family i'd known for a long time, and knew they were lakers fans. told them the news and they couldn't believe it. jaws dropped open and were in total disbelief.

oh, and during the conference, the dad farted, a real loud one too. just making an unforgettable day that much more unforgettable.

14 minutes ago, Tank said:

reminds me of when magic johnson announced his retirement because of HIV. it was parent-teacher conference day at school, and i was meeting with a family i'd known for a long time, and knew they were lakers fans. told them the news and they couldn't believe it. jaws dropped open and were in total disbelief.

oh, and during the conference, the dad farted, a real loud one too. just making an unforgettable day that much more unforgettable.

I was going to mention this one but wasn't sure if it was the first memory, but it was the first one I thought of and the first impact on me as a kid.

There was no internet or 24 hour sports shows. I was walking home from school with my cousins. And one of their neighbors at the end of the street named Chris Potter ran up to us to walk the rest of the way and says, "Did you hear about Magic Johnson? He has AIDS!"

I remember walking to their house the rest of the way completely dejected and a bit messed up as he was my favorite athlete. Back then, AIDS/HIV meant you were either gay or did drugs with needles. As a kid I couldn't comprehend it or make sense of it. My favorite basketball player is leaving because he has AIDS?

That walk home was one I'll never forget. And the funny thing is because of no internet or social media I just had to take the dude at his word. I think once I got home I saw the press conference. I didn't think he was gay or did drugs to which for a majority of people they saw it and realized someone doesn't need to be gay or share needles to get HIV.

Just a moment I won't forget when he said it. I was too dumb about the Challenger and Desert Storm. But this one I completely understood. If the question was posed as most impactful first story one heard, it might be this.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:41 AM, Tank said:

i was in 8th grade when she was kidnapped, and my history teacher had us do an ongoing project where we had to read the news each day. I was riveted by her story, especially the shootout in south central LA.

The SLA BBQ? Yeah, I was 15 at the time and painting the hull of my dad's new Choey Lee sailboat in Long Beach. I had no idea it was going on and didn't hear about until we drove home and heard it on news radio. 

On 8/14/2020 at 7:44 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

This will blow your mind, I never watched the Simpson growing up.

I was reading Groening's Life in Hell comic strip in the LA Free Press before he started the Simpsons on the Tracy Ullman show. 

Someone put this up in the Machine Room at The Post Group and people wrote in the names of employees that fit the description. For many it was not well received.

372bd6fb683398be4a63352705ad8bea.jpg

20 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I was on my way in to pick up my final paycheck from a summer job when this news broke.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, Stradling said:

For me it is Elvis dying.     

I read the other day, that he died 43 years ago ...at age 42. So he's been dead longer than he was alive.