• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What’s the first major news story you remember?

Tank

Interesting question that I was thinking about recently. I dug up some that were some sort of memory.

I don't fully remember the incident, but remember my aunt that I was staying with, being in horror from what I would later find out was the 1986 space shuttle explosion.

I don't really remember the 1989 earthquake, but remember a picture on the tv screen of the top bridge falling below and pinning a car.

The first one I was able to see, ask questions, get an idea of what was going on, and comprehend was when we bombed Iraq and start our presence in the Gulf War in 1991. I just turned 9 about a week earlier.

I was born in May of 88...racking my memory 3 things came up...OJ Simpson murder accusation/trial, North Hollywood shoot out, and then Bill Clinton getting some head in the Oval Office. The OJ murder accusation took place in 1994 making it my earliest memory I can think of right now. Anything major happen in 92 or 93?

Born in '89. I vaguely remember the OJ verdict. My mom told me that he had been found not guilty, which didn't mean that he was necessarily innocent, but that the jury had decided there wasn't enough evidence call him guilty.

I remember when Siskel from Siskel and Ebert died, and when Chris Farley died.

Then, there was all the Y2K stuff. My parents weren't worried about it at all. They had some friends who had been stocking up on supplies and essentially created a bunker (in their upper middle class, gated OC community).

I was 12 when 9/11 happened, so I remember that very clearly.

1 hour ago, Redondo said:

Yes 

i was in 8th grade when she was kidnapped, and my history teacher had us do an ongoing project where we had to read the news each day. I was riveted by her story, especially the shootout in south central LA.

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

I was born in ‘79. First big news story I remember was the Challenger disaster. Next one would be baby Jessica falling down the well. 

When was baby Jessica? I think one of my earliest memories was of a kid trapped in a well. I remember thinking it could happen to me. It’s possible the story was relayed to me later, but I feel like I got it through the tv.

I remember the first invasion of Iraq and the news coverage of “Desert Storm.” I’m pretty sure that was the big story on the news around the time my sister was born. She spent a lot of time in the hospital and so I staid with my grandparents well into the evening news most nights. That would’ve had to be mid ‘90, when I would’ve turned 5.

Desert Storm was 1991.

I can't imagine what kids went through at school during 9/11. The closest I had to that was when those two kids shot up Columbine when I was in high school. It was kind of a normal day, but my history teacher was shook up and he just used the class time as an open forum and us watching the news. I assume that was how it was for kids during 9/11, but all day.

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

When was baby Jessica? I think one of my earliest memories was of a kid trapped in a well. I remember thinking it could happen to me. It’s possible the story was relayed to me later, but I feel like I got it through the tv.

I remember the first invasion of Iraq and the news coverage of “Desert Storm.” I’m pretty sure that was the big story on the news around the time my sister was born. She spent a lot of time in the hospital and so I staid with my grandparents well into the evening news most nights. That would’ve had to be mid ‘90, when I would’ve turned 5.

Baby Jessica was in '87.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Jessica_McClure