• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Canning possibly tipping pitches against the A's?

rafibomb

It looked like most of the strikes Canning threw were middle of the plate, elevated and mostly straight.  It looked like most of the pitches batters did not chase started outside the strike zone and finished outside of the strike zone.

Yeah.......he was not good.  He really hasn't been very good.  Movement on his pitches have been very limited.....makes me wonder if he is injured or protecting himself from becoming injured.

33 minutes ago, eligrba said:

It looked like most of the strikes Canning threw were middle of the plate, elevated and mostly straight.  It looked like most of the pitches batters did not chase started outside the strike zone and finished outside of the strike zone.

Yeah.......he was not good.  He really hasn't been very good.  Movement on his pitches have been very limited.....makes me wonder if he is injured or protecting himself from becoming injured.

This is never a good thing.

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maybe he had a bad day with a terrible umpire that didn't see the difference between the plate strike zone and the batters box chalk.

This is a recurring theme with these jackalope umps.   They seem to never improve on the strike/ball calls.  Time for robo strike/ball calling?   

There are some levels of baseball where you can fall behind 2-0 and then throw a heart-of-the-plate, 91 mph fastball past a batter to get back in the count. 

MLB is not one of them. 

He's gotta get better with his locating, which I think he will. At any rate, I'm not giving up on him after only 21 starts in his career. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe either Canning's body can't stand up to the pitching rigors, or his delivery is too violent? 

It's hard to count on him long term, based on the health results so far.

That was the knock on him when we drafted him....he fell further in the draft than he should have....teams were leery....

10 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That was the knock on him when we drafted him....he fell further in the draft than he should have....teams were leery....

It wasn’t his college workload, which wasn’t overwhelming.

Freshman year - 63 innings

Soph year - 109 Innings

Junior year - 119 innings

Compare that to Weaver at LB St.

Freshman year - 92 innings

Soph year - 133 innings

Junior year - 144 innings

Edited by Angel Oracle

45 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It wasn’t his college workload, which wasn’t overwhelming.

Freshman year - 63 innings

Soph year - 109 Innings

Junior year - 119 innings

Compare that to Weaver at LB St.

Freshman year - 92 innings

Soph year - 133 innings

Junior year - 144 innings

If I remember corrrectly, teams were concerned about medical reports.....

I defiently believe that there might be an Health issue or Canning might be in his head. One of the things I've noitced is how hes lost about 2 mph on his Fastball. 

Average Velo for 2019 was 93.9

2020: its 92.3.

Last year we saw him in the 90-95/96 (a few 97) range, inwhich he was moslty 93-95. This year he's  in the 90s to 93/94 range. 

17 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I defiently believe that there might be an Health issue or Canning might be in his head. One of the things I've noitced is how hes lost about 2 mph on his Fastball. 

Average Velo for 2019 was 93.9

2020: its 92.3.

Last year we saw him in the 90-95/96 (a few 97) range, inwhich he was moslty 93-95. This year he's  in the 90s to 93/94 range. 

It's clearly a health issue given what he was experiencing prior to the season's start. I just hope he doesn't push himself too hard; I'd hate to see him get injured (TJ).

35 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I could've sworn it was high pitch counts. I distinctly remember the term "overuse" being thrown around.

It was.... I don’t think that is too unusual with college pitchers...but there were additional concerns about medical reports... combination of the two I guess.