• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels to face lineup questions when Andrelton Simmons returns

ANAHEIM >> Interesting decisions are looming for the Angels.

Andrelton Simmons, who is out with a sprained ankle, has been getting some live at-bats with the Angels’ squad in Long Beach. Manager Joe Maddon said Simmons “is a lot closer,” and he “wouldn’t rule it out,” that Simmons could be activated sometime during this weekend’s series against the Dodgers.

Then what?

David Fletcher, who has been playing shortstop in Simmons’ absence, is not leaving the lineup.

“Fletch plays,” Maddon said. “He’s just got to play.”

Fletcher, of course, has been a dependable utility man for the Angels in his first two years, but he’s taken that to a new level this year. He was hitting .306 with a .902 OPS before Wednesday’s game. He already has three homers, which is halfway to his total from last season.

Once Simmons returns, it crosses shortstop off the list of Fletcher’s possible positions. Fletcher can also play second, third and the corner outfield spots.

If current performance is the most important factor to determine which player loses playing time when Simmons bumps Fletcher off shortstop, it could be Albert Pujols.

The Angels could play Fletcher every day at second, with Tommy La Stella moving over to first. La Stella had barely played any first base until summer camp, but he’s now made three of his last eight starts there. He’s also heated up at the plate, lifting his average to .292 and his OPS to .882 heading into Wednesday’s game. Pujols was hitting .196 with a .647 OPS.

Because La Stella hits left-handed and Pujols right-handed, they would form a natural platoon. Of course, that would reduce to Pujols to playing about 30 percent of the time. So far he’s started 14 of 19 games.

“We’re going to have things to think about,” Maddon said before Wednesday’s game. “We haven’t had the conversations. How do we maneuver these guys? Where do we play them?”

UPTON’S SLUMP

Since the Angels recalled top prospect Jo Adell, reducing Justin Upton’s playing time, the veteran has managed just one infield hit in 16 at-bats. He would not have even gotten that much playing time if Adell didn’t miss two games with quad tightness. Going forward, the opportunities figure to be even more limited.

It highlights one of the issues that challenges managers. The Angels clearly can’t give Upton significant playing time while he’s struggling so much, but how can he improve without getting much playing time?

“Talking to the hitting coaches, there are certain things we can explore,” Maddon said. “The thing about Justin is his work ethic is spectacular and he’s moving well. Watch him run to first base, watch him move in the outfield. He’s moving pretty well, so that tells me everything is still in pretty good order.

“This guy has a history of getting scalding hot, and I believe that’s going to happen again. In the meantime, let’s let him work through some moments and try to pick the right spots.”

ALSO

The Angels are scheduled to have Patrick Sandoval, Andrew Heaney and Julio Teheran pitch this weekend against the Dodgers. They could have used Thursday’s off day to flip-flop red hot Dylan Bundy and Teheran, allowing Bundy to pitch against the Dodgers. Maddon said they opted to keep the pitchers in order because he wants to get Teheran on track, and he remains confident that he’ll improve. …

Hansel Robles, who lost his job as the Angels closer, had his second straight scoreless outing on Tuesday. Robles’ velocity, which had been an issue in his earlier struggles, has improved slightly, although not yet to where he was last year. “The stuff seems to be trending in an upward way,” Maddon said, “so I’ll just try to pick the right spots for him and keep moving him back toward (the high leverage spots).”

View the full article

54 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

At some point someone just needs to grow a pair and admit that there is really no reason to play Albert just about ever.

It is pretty obvious at this point that he gets to play out his deal, absent a total collapse....

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not disagreeing, just don’t think they’ll sit him....no reason to think they will 9 years in....

Well, in the past I think it was easy to say that there weren't obviously better options. When Cron pushed him they traded him. Thaiss has never shown enough. Now you are looking at having to sit Simmons, Fletcher or La Stella and each of them are clearly far better.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well, in the past I think it was easy to say that there weren't obviously better options. When Cron pushed him they traded him. Thaiss has never shown enough. Now you are looking at having to sit Simmons, Fletcher or La Stella and each of them are clearly far better.

I am (slightly) encouraged by Fletcher’s article at least floating the idea that LaStella gets some time...we’ll see....

Time for Pujols to sit. Simmons' glove is just too good and he deserves a chance with the bat - I'm surprised at how easily people are willing to write him off.

Adell is pretty weak-sauce in there, and at some point Upton is going to start hitting, so unless Jo starts performing his clock is ticking.

Edited by Angelsjunky

7 hours ago, DMVol said:

I am (slightly) encouraged by Fletcher’s article at least floating the idea that LaStella gets some time...we’ll see....

From December 2018 (when the Angels got Bour) up until July 2020, anytime I asked anyone in the organization about La Stella playing 1B it was always “meh. In an emergency.”

Then both Thaiss and Walsh were absent at the start of summer camp. Then both got sent down. 

I do believe that now the Angels do view La Stella as a legit option at 1B at least semi regularly. More than ever before.

Do I think they’d go straight platoon (70-30 La Stella)? Probably not. But maybe it’s 50-50. 

I don’t see how Pujols playing time doesn’t go down when Simmons comes back (barring another injury of course). The question is how much. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

From December 2018 (when the Angels got Bour) up until July 2020, anytime I asked anyone in the organization about La Stella playing 1B it was always “meh. In an emergency.”

Then both Thaiss and Walsh were absent at the start of summer camp. Then both got sent down. 

I do believe that now the Angels do view La Stella as a legit option at 1B at least semi regularly. More than ever before.

Do I think they’d go straight platoon (70-30 La Stella)? Probably not. But maybe it’s 50-50. 

I don’t see how Pujols playing time doesn’t go down when Simmons comes back (barring another injury of course). The question is how much. 

Just split the difference, 60-40 LaStella.     He can also get a few starts at 2B (Fletcher to corner OF spot or resting Simba) and DH. 

I really don't want to see Fletcher in the outfield. What he brings defensively to the three infield positions he plays is a plus factor. What he can do in the outfield would barely reach league average. Players need to play the position that best meets their skills and not plugged into any situation because of a positional vaccumn. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I really don't want to see Fletcher in the outfield. What he brings defensively to the three infield positions he plays is a plus factor. What he can do in the outfield would barely reach league average. Players need to play the position that best meets their skills and not plugged into any situation because of a positional vaccumn. 

The team needs to play players at the positions that best help the team to win.  Baseball is a team sport.  If it's better for the team to have Fletcher play outfield that is where he should play.

The Angel's need to take into consideration of losing Fletchers plus defense in the infield with the addition of a better batter in the lineup offensively. 

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

The team needs to play players at the positions that best help the team to win.  Baseball is a team sport.  If it's better for the team to have Fletcher play outfield that is where he should play.

The Angel's need to take into consideration of losing Fletchers plus defense in the infield with the addition of a better batter in the lineup offensively. 

That's my point, it isn't better for the team to put an infielder in the outfield. Fletcher really doesn't have the practice time or skills for the outfield. 

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That's my point, it isn't better for the team to put an infielder in the outfield. Fletcher really doesn't have the practice time or skills for the outfield. 

It could be better for the team by getting better defender (simmons) a quality hitter (La Stella) into the lineup.  And if La Stella is going to pool lay 1b base than they have to evaluate the loss of Fletchers defense in the infield  v La Stella defense contribution to first base.