• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading away Jean Segura

Dtwncbad

11 minutes ago, stormngt said:

After the loss of Kendrick and before La Stella we didnt have a decent second baseman.  

For the record I supported the trade IF we made the playoffs OR extended Grienke.  Neither happened so I felt he was it was a bad trade for just half a year of Grienke.  Our 2b sucked until Fletcher and La Stella last year.  I did not follow Segura much after we traded him.

However I know he had a couple of all star years and he played well against the Angel's.  From 2016 to 2018 his OPS + was 122, 111, 113.  He was 105 in 2013.

Meanwhile the Angel's 2b between 2016 to 2018 was 96 (Gio) 39 (Espinosa) 94 (Kinsler).

I understand the “I was fine with Greinke as long as the Angels made the playoffs.”

But if that’s the case why not the same standard for wishing the Angels had Segura from 2016 -2018?

The Angels were 20+ games out every year over that span, so what difference would Segura have made?

2 hours ago, m0nkey said:

I went to college with one of tom brunabsky’s sons 

I went to Angels baseball camp as a kid.  The vast majority of kids were infielders, pitchers and catchers.  I think there were only like three of us outfielders.  Tom Brunansky was the OF coach.  With so few outfielders we got to spend a bunch of time with Brunansky that week personally and the guy was just very cool.

The next Spring Training in Palm Springs, Brunansky pulled into the parking lot of the Gene Autry Hotel, got out of his car with a bunch of fans and he instantly recognized me from the baseball camp and called me by first name, with very genuine warm interaction with me in front of all the other fans, as if we were really long time friends.  He was just being a really nice guy to a kid.

That was a pretty fun moment for a kid.  So I was always a Brunansky fan.

43 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Good one. Should have kept Carney Lansford, too.

The Lansford trade was worse than Greinke/Segura....Rick Burleson was the key for the Angels and he threw his shoulder out the next year....No way to anticipate that but trading a young star like Lansford made no sense then and no sense now...

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

The Lansford trade was worse than Greinke/Segura....Rick Burleson was the key for the Angels and he threw his shoulder out the next year....No way to anticipate that but trading a young star like Lansford made no sense then and no sense now...

The worst trade was Dante Bichette for Dave Parker.  That one was simply inexcusable.

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

After the loss of Kendrick and before La Stella we didnt have a decent second baseman.  

For the record I supported the trade IF we made the playoffs OR extended Grienke.  Neither happened so I felt he was it was a bad trade for just half a year of Grienke.  Our 2b sucked until Fletcher and La Stella last year.  I did not follow Segura much after we traded him.

However I know he had a couple of all star years and he played well against the Angel's.  From 2016 to 2018 his OPS + was 122, 111, 113.  He was 105 in 2013.

Meanwhile the Angel's 2b between 2016 to 2018 was 96 (Gio) 39 (Espinosa) 94 (Kinsler).

I'd like to go on record as supporting trades that lead us to the playoffs and against trades that don't lead us to the playoffs, as well. I'm not sure why more GMs just use this decision tree as their guide when they make trades.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes and they also “could have really used” a potential postseason-changing ace starter that appeared to be a reasonable play to take a run at it.

I am not at all saying Segura is garbage.  Just saying I can’t see how, especially now that we see a larger sample of who Segura is, this trade was a loss for the Angels. They paid a fair price for the ace rental.

And for a long time it seemed the consensus complaint was that “Segura was a real gem that was foolishly traded away . . . If only the Angels still had the previous Segura!”  This what I am disagreeing with.  He’s just not that big of a deal.

I look at as Dipoto traded away what he had no surplus of for a rental that cost the Angels in money for infield hole patching long term. It was short sighted trade. But just about everything Jerry did with his prospect talent was, until he had none. 

21 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Quite possibly my earliest Angels memory is my dad taking me to the game and trying to explain to me the concept of a trade and who Dave Parker was.

The Bichette for Parker trade infuriated me at a level I had never experienced as a fan before.  I basically mentally broke up with the Angels for about six months over that trade.

I “got over it” but in the coming years it was always a knife jab in my belly to see Bichette crushing it in Colorado in his prime. 

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I understand the “I was fine with Greinke as long as the Angels made the playoffs.”

But if that’s the case why not the same standard for wishing the Angels had Segura from 2016 -2018?

The Angels were 20+ games out every year over that span, so what difference would Segura have made?

Not that the issue is very passionate for me.

I do not see similarities of having a quality second baseman for six years v a great starter for two months.  

Unless the great starter brings the playoffs with him I prefer the six years of a quality 2b.