• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The offense

I think we finally saw what this lineup is capable of, and should see more of for the rest of the year. It should be the best lineup we've had since the Golden Age of the Aughties, and maybe better (more power).

What is particularly exciting is that it should continue to get better over the next few years as Pujols phases out and Adell and Marsh come into their own. 

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think we finally saw what this lineup is capable of, and should see more of for the rest of the year. It should be the best lineup we've had since the Golden Age of the Aughties, and maybe better (more power).

What is particularly exciting is that it should continue to get better over the next few years as Pujols phases out and Adell and Marsh come into their own. 

I'm going to temper my excitement, even though last night's offense was fun to watch.  I've (and we've) walked this path before.  The rest of this series, and especially the next one with the Dodgers will tell us a lot about what direction this offense might be going.

I'll admit, it looks like the offense is starting to catch up with the pitching.  It usually takes a couple weeks in Spring Training to get the timing down.  I think this explains YK's post the other day regarding the league wide drop in batting averages.  

Again, last night was fun.  Let's hope it's not that one or 2 game mirage.

This team has a ton of offensive talent.  The team-wide offensive struggles were surprising, but given that it seems most of the MLB is suffering from the same issues, I guess it's not like we are the only ones.

Still - it does seem that our offense is waking up.  Maddon seems to have taken an interesting approach in having LaStella hit 2nd and Trout 3rd.  Convention usually states that your best hitter hits 2nd, but that said, having two disinclined, good hitters like Fletcher and LaStella batting ahead of Trout (and getting on base) seems like a good idea.

A lineup of:  Fletcher SS, LaStella 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Pujols 1B, Castro/Stassi C, Goodwin/Upton LF, Adell RF seems really solid to me.  On "Pujols rest days," which should probably be every 3rd game, LaStella slides over to 1B and Rengifo plays 2B.  

Combine this offense with a pretty surprising SP group, and I think we have a good shot to claim the 2nd spot in the ALW, assuming the Astros continue to struggle now that they have no idea what pitches are coming.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

He also made a play last night when the game was still close that I doubt any first baseman on our roster could make. 

I don't think the Angels have another first baseman on the roster.  They do have some players who can play first, but that is not the same.  If you are not sure what the difference is, there is an AW member who seems incredibly knowledgeable about such matters.

14 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I don't think the Angels have another first baseman on the roster.  They do have some players who can play first, but that is not the same.  If you are not sure what the difference is, there is an AW member who seems incredibly knowledgeable about such matters.

Anyone I know?

15 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Maddon seems to like Ward.....wouldn't be surprised to see him get some chances vs LHP at 1b....

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Anyone I know?

I am having a difficult time remembering his name, but he clearly distinguished himself from others who never played "competitively" and therefore lacked deep knowledge and understanding of the game.

If it comes to me, I will let you know......it seems to be getting easier to flush people out of memory as I get older.

23 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am having a difficult time remembering his name, but he clearly distinguished himself from others who never played "competitively" and therefore lacked deep knowledge and understanding of the game.

If it comes to me, I will let you know......it seems to be getting easier to flush people out of memory as I get older.

I can’t wait to get old. 

9 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Pretty crazy that the offense is 3rd in WAR and is tied for most HR's in MLB despite the slow starts from Rendon/Ohtani and with Upton turning into a pitcher at the plate.

hsEjGhP.jpg

Angels also have the worst BABIP which indicates they are a bit unlucky.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I love flushing

49 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Pretty crazy that the offense is 3rd in WAR and is tied for most HR's in MLB despite the slow starts from Rendon/Ohtani and with Upton turning into a pitcher at the plate.

hsEjGhP.jpg

Rendon's start has not been that bad. His OPS+ is 131. It's not great but the 3 previous years it's been 139, 137, 155. People still rely too heavily on AVG. and not enough on OBP. 

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

This team has a ton of offensive talent.  The team-wide offensive struggles were surprising, but given that it seems most of the MLB is suffering from the same issues, I guess it's not like we are the only ones.

Still - it does seem that our offense is waking up.  Maddon seems to have taken an interesting approach in having LaStella hit 2nd and Trout 3rd.  Convention usually states that your best hitter hits 2nd, but that said, having two disinclined, good hitters like Fletcher and LaStella batting ahead of Trout (and getting on base) seems like a good idea.

A lineup of:  Fletcher SS, LaStella 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Pujols 1B, Castro/Stassi C, Goodwin/Upton LF, Adell RF seems really solid to me.  On "Pujols rest days," which should probably be every 3rd game, LaStella slides over to 1B and Rengifo plays 2B.  

Combine this offense with a pretty surprising SP group, and I think we have a good shot to claim the 2nd spot in the ALW, assuming the Astros continue to struggle now that they have no idea what pitches are coming.

What happens when Simmons comes back?

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

It's not for sissies.....somebody once said....

There are a couple of excellent wall posters (or there used to be) that demonstrate this visually.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

What happens when Simmons comes back?

Great question.  Simba's offense isn't very good, but he is the best defensive SS in baseball, so I'd still play him close to full-time.

Personally, what I'd do is this:

2B Fletcher, 1B LaStella, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Goodwin, RF Adell, C Castro, SS Simba

LaStella at 1B isn't too ideal, but you live with it, knowing you have 3 incredible defenders at 3B, SS, and 2B.  Pujols plays sparingly - maybe twice a week.  Upton platoons with Goodwin in LF.  Simba should get 1-2 days off per week as well, in which Fletcher rotates to SS, LaStella to 2B, etc.

I see this as unlikely, because Pujols will play quite a bit more than that, but if I was trying to "maximize" our chances, that's probably what I'd do.