• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which of the following is responsible for 2010 and beyond failures?

Which of the following are responsible for the struggles after 2009?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most contributed to the struggles after 2009?

• Arte Moreno
    • Tony J. Pierrepont Reagins
    • Jerry Dumbpoto
    • Billy Eppler
    • Scouting
    • Development
    • Clay Daniels - Screwed up Latin American pipeline.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

I think this kind of discussion is missing two key elements: players who didn’t perform as expected, and players who lost time due to injuries. To just pin it on just one layer of the onion isn’t an honest discussion.

True, but I guess I am more looking for the origination point for the issues.

The No 1 reason is the farm system deteriorated.

That’s Dipoto’s fault for drafting low ceiling guys and it’s Arte’s fault for preferring big FA deals that also cost them draft picks. And of course all the scouting and development people who contributed also get some blame. 

No 2 is the Angels decision to try to rebuild that farm system slowly rather than tanking.

Why did they go that route? Well, Arte doesn’t want to tank because he doesn’t want the team to suck. It’s also, ironically, a bit of bad luck in the fact that the Angels have Mike Trout. If you have just a “garden variety” star it’s not so hard to trade him for 4-5 prospects and rebuild. If you have a HOFer, generational talent, you can’t trade him. You have to try to win with him. But If you don’t have a farm system..... 

You don’t produce talent for your team and you don’t have talent to trade to fill holes. Instead of plugging one hole with a $30M star, you have to plug four holes with four $8M players and that’s dicey. The guys who are cheaper and/or trade accessible also get hurt more. 

And here they are. 

Also a lot of it is just the losing culture our organization allows and the low standards and accountability people seem to held to. This goes everywhere from the ownership, the GM and the front office, the managers and coaches, and the players.  It is not right that everyone should suck immediately when they come here.  Everyone around needs to hold both themselves and each other to a higher standard no matter what their role is in regards to this team.  I guess this mostly goes under Moreno because ultimately he sets the standard.

8 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Also a lot of it is just the losing culture our organization allows and the low standards and accountability people seem to held to. This goes everywhere from the ownership, the GM and the front office, the managers and coaches, and the players.  It is not right that everyone should suck immediately when they come here.  Everyone around needs to hold both themselves and each other to a higher standard no matter what their role is in regards to this team.  I guess this mostly goes under Moreno because ultimately he sets the standard.

This is a crock of shit.  It’s 100% fan nonsense. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That’s Dipoto’s fault for drafting low ceiling guys and it’s Arte’s fault for preferring big FA deals that also cost them draft picks. And of course all the scouting and development people who contributed also get some blame. 

No 2 is the Angels decision to try to rebuild that farm system slowly rather than tanking.

Why did they go that route? Well, Arte doesn’t want to tank because he doesn’t want the team to suck. It’s also, ironically, a bit of bad luck in the fact that the Angels have Mike Trout. If you have just a “garden variety” star it’s not so hard to trade him for 4-5 prospects and rebuild. If you have a HOFer, generational talent, you can’t trade him. You have to try to win with him. But If you don’t have a farm system..... 

You don’t produce talent for your team and you don’t have talent to trade to fill holes. Instead of plugging one hole with a $30M star, you have to plug four holes with four $8M players and that’s dicey. The guys who are cheaper and/or trade accessible also get hurt more. 

And here they are. 

Thread should be locked.  This is the best synopsis explaining the current situation. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

And here they are. 

I'm on board with all of this.

1 hour ago, jonickell25 said:

The trading of top prospects for rentals was an absolute killer. Wouldn't it be nice to have Clevinger right now? Personally, I also think the firing of Eddie Bane was a huge mistake. Socks watching guys like Corbin and Clevinger become great pitchers for other teams and would've been cost controlled.

If not mistaken Clevenger was a low rated prospect

Edited by stormngt

1 hour ago, jonickell25 said:

The trading of top prospects for rentals was an absolute killer. Wouldn't it be nice to have Clevinger right now? Personally, I also think the firing of Eddie Bane was a huge mistake. Socks watching guys like Corbin and Clevinger become great pitchers for other teams and would've been cost controlled.

Hmm, Bane had one miraculous draft - then he reverted to his mean in 2010, and reverted hard.

He had a bit of a retrograde approach to evaluating hitters - when I saw his quote about when he's scouting a guy who took a walk, he was walking back to his car - he wanted "hitters" - I was pretty much over him then. 

But he's not the "villain" here - Dipoto, to include his couldn't-possibly-have-done-worse international players handling is probably the "star" of this shit show.  

Arte has a role, too - things like the Wells trade and Hamiton signings are obvious - but I'm not convinced he didn't under-resource the operations of the team, like scouting drafting and development. 

With all his money, the team shouldn't be badly out-performed in obtaining talent by teams like the Rays and the A's. 

And yet, here we are.

It's everything but Arte Moreno is ultimately responsible for the direction of his franchise. He fucked up for about 5-6 years in a row and it has really cost us. Things have gotten better the last few years in terms of decision making but what you are seeing now is that it's tough to dig yourself out of the hole we were placed in.

I'm not exactly sure where we should go from here. We have so much money tied up in Trout and Rendon that we have to keep trying to win now I guess.