• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Jo Adell’s rare four-base error punctuates Angels’ ugly loss in Texas

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Of course it’s the only reason he’s up in the first place. Correct me if I’m wrong here (I’ve been out of the loop for a while) but since there’s no minor league season, the alternative to Adell playing in the Majors is to basically have him spend an entire year in extended spring training.

i don’t know the answer to this question but is him flailing away in the majors really worse than him not being challenged much for a year? 

again I’m not sure. But it’s obvious the Angels want him to get challenged. I think they obviously hoped he wouldn’t be blown away like this

Yeah man -- we are in the same boat when it comes to knowing what is best -- this is uncharted territory.   But I do wonder if it's true that he wouldn't be, whether or not he should be.  it's not like he's in his age 25 season.

It's possible they know that mentally he is capable of having his head mashed in so, they are willing to let him work on it at the MLB level...  all I know is that rarely works.  We have all see the sort of defensive hacks he's taken and the reaching for stuff.  Having to look to defend .vs quality MLB pitching is no joke.    

56 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I actually don't worry about his confidence -- I don't think he will have issues there.  My point of concern is the potential development of bad habits..    Mostly, a guy with his plate discipline issues needs should still be working on that part of the game.  There is an entire school of thought that says AAA pitchers do more to promote the growth of those skills than MLB pitchers will, because they don't have the pure stuff to blow people away so they mix and match and throw wrinkles at you left and right.   Hitters are forced to pick up on that crap .vs play defense for the put-away pitch at the MLB level.   The lack of a AAA season is probably the biggest reason he's up at all.

But plate discipline issues are why a few of us believed that Marsh and not Adell was the more finished product despite being behind him.

I also thought/think that Marsh was more polished and ready for the bigs. But yeah, good points. The lack of a minor league season really hurts Adell's development. In the long run he'll be OK, but it is a lost year--and an important one for him. He should start next year in AAA, as he would have this year.