• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Was the Adenhart tragedy the first domino?

In recent years this team has gone for the big splash and wound up with nothing but a bloated payroll and a bad team. Gary Matthews, Jr. Mark Teixeira. Dan Haren. Scott Kazmir. Vernon Wells. Albert Pujols. Josh Hamilton. C. J. Wilson. Brian Fuentes. A lot of acquisitions who either performed far below expectations or, in Teixeira's case, had his eye on the door as soon as he arrived.

Belly flops make a big splash.

I've had conversations with my dad over this the last couple of years and I do think it was.  Seems like up to that point the organization was in a good place.  Adenhart helped solidify a good pitching staff.  Thinking that he and Weaver would have been a nice 1-2 punch.  Maybe we go farther in the playoffs the season he was killed.  I'm also thinking the Morales injury was a big moment that started this tailspin that this organization is in now.   

There are definetely single events that can set off a series of moves that lead to an organization's downfall.  Thinking the Lakers having that Chris Paul trade vetoed was the first domino for their downfall. 

I agree with Morales' injury changing the future of the franchise.  Pujols would not be on this team if that hadn't happened.

I do think Nick's death definitely changed the future of our pitching staff, I imagine he would have been a key part of our rotation for a long time and certain moves wouldn't have happened, but we'll never know for sure how it would have changed certain transactions.

It's a bunch of what ifs but maybe no Haren trade is made either and we have a rotation of Weaver Nick Corbin Skaggs Vargas. 

It sucks in so many ways that he left in that way, I really was looking forward to how he developed. 

All of the above happening may be a stretch; but all I know is, I wish that every day for the rest of his life, Gallo had to defend himself in prison from it's version of Shawshank Boggs. Permanent pergatory for the hurt he brought to so many.

And something alone the same line for his POS step brother who instead of being a DD, decided to get wasted himself and when the accident happened could only utter "Run bitch!".

What a pair of worthless losers in the game of life.

As we are all painfully aware, Nick was tragically taken from us in April of 2009.  Of course, this is all pure speculation, but

Did his passing lead to a reactionary move to pick up Scott Kazmir? 

With Kazmir not panning out, did this lead to the Haren trade that saw the team give up Corbin and Skaggs?

Did a lack of production from Haren lead to the Greinke trade that saw us give up Segura, Pena, and Hellweg?

Did not being able to re-sign Greinke lead to signing Hamilton?  Blanton? 

The mind wanders when the games don't really matter. 

Nick's death was in April and Kazmir trade was in August.  That doesn't seem like a reactionary move.

Also Kazmir ineffectiveness should not have led to the Haren trade the following August.  We were a long shot on the playoffs and the Angels should have been sellers instead of buyers that year.

You could mention Morales breaking his ankle was where it all began.  We would have been in the race with Morales in 2010 and 2011.

Mortaging your farm for money hungry players like Texiera and Grienk and the stupid Napoli trade for Wells... 

Texiera was a good trade.  For Kotchman and a pitcher that didn't get a sniff of the majors we got Grichulk and made room for Morales.

Grienke trade did not hurt us.  Yes, Segura is raking, but we already signed Aybar and Kendrick to long term contracts.  You could argue we didn't need Grienke and should have gotten more for a Segura trade.

You could also argue maybe we should have traded Aybar and kept Segura.

Napoli was a stupid trade.  No way to defend it.  Even if he wasn't going to be a full time catcher, we should have kept him as a DH and back up 1b.  Instead we went with Abreu at DH and had the false faith that Morales was going to be back.

The trade the killed us was the Haren trade.  Haren wasn't going to help us make the playoffs in 2010 and we didn't make the playoffs in 2011 and 2012.  Meanwhile we gave up two quality starting pitcher that we certainly could use now.