• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dumb Question for Jeff Fletcher re: Crowd Noise

I've been going on the assumption that the crowd noise we're hearing on television broadcasts is heard in the stadium too, but I heard an analyst today talk about how players might be getting better breaks on balls defensively because they can hear the sound of the ball hitting the bat better.  So, dumb question: the players CAN hear the same crowd noise we can, can't they?  And how convincing is it in a stadium atmosphere?  (If you close your eyes, could you be fooled that the ambient noise you're hearing is actual crowd noise?)  I have to say, the crowd noise we're hearing on broadcasts -- especially at other stadiums -- is pretty convincing.  The A's games have even mixed in sounds of the drummers, horns, etc.  No idea how they captured those, but they are present and accounted for!

1 hour ago, Capital_Dave said:

I've been going on the assumption that the crowd noise we're hearing on television broadcasts is heard in the stadium too, but I heard an analyst today talk about how players might be getting better breaks on balls defensively because they can hear the sound of the ball hitting the bat better.  So, dumb question: the players CAN hear the same crowd noise we can, can't they?  And how convincing is it in a stadium atmosphere?  (If you close your eyes, could you be fooled that the ambient noise you're hearing is actual crowd noise?)  I have to say, the crowd noise we're hearing on broadcasts -- especially at other stadiums -- is pretty convincing.  The A's games have even mixed in sounds of the drummers, horns, etc.  No idea how they captured those, but they are present and accounted for!

Yes, you can hear it in the stadium. And I think it's pretty convincing. 

They are still ironing out some kinks as to synching it to the action. Sometimes it gets irrationally loud at odd time, like routine fly balls.

They also definitely turn it up in the late innings of a close game.

3 hours ago, RendZone said:

@Jeff Fletcher why don’t the Angels allow for the cardboard cutouts in the stands. 

When Arte sold his billboard company, he signed a very broad non-compete agreement which prohibits him from arranging for the placement of free-standing signs of any kind.  Unfortunately, it applies to the fan cutouts, which is why they can’t be displayed at Angel Stadium.

If six feet away from everyone and with a mask on, can we have the kid in the rally monkey outfit jumping behind home plate?

Or that dude that goes to every Angels and Ducks game that dresses up and annoys everyone with his dancing in the aisles until they kick him out.....which is what he wants for the publicity as he is really there to advertise Westside Rentals or LA Rentals.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

What they should do is open the suites up for fans and just add plexiglass between the outside seats of the suites.  

I’m pretty sure Covid will be around next year so presumably they have a plan- not that I go to many games but fans are a part of the game.

Thanks for the answers @Jeff Fletcher.  

For anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of how the in-stadium production works this season, I came across a really fascinating interview with a ballpark sound effects operator on Effectively Wild, the Fangraphs podcast.  A great listen: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1573-make-some-noise/