• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching

3 hours ago, Fourts said:

Failing to use 1st round picks (until 2020) on Ps was a fail imo.  Even some of the 2-5th round picks the past 4 drafts....more should have gone to Ps.  Just my opinion. 

Maybe you should review Eppler's drafts a little closer. 

Canning was a 2nd round draft pick in 2017, in the following 10 picks, 8 were pitchers. 24 of their 40 picks that year were pitchers. 

In 2018 there were 11 pitchers in a row drafted starting in the 3rd round. 

In 2019 there were 14 pitchers in a row drafted starting in the 3rd round. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Canning was a 2nd round draft pick in 2017, in the following 10 picks, 8 were pitchers. 24 of their 40 picks that year were pitchers. 

Yeah but...

18 minutes ago, The Ryan Express said:

Good to see this stirred things up....If you Advanced members have been happy with the pitching since Epplers been here... More power to you!!.

Nobody is saying that.  But suggesting he go after waiver wire types is essentially just more of what he's already been doing.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Ummm, what?  Maybe you should review my post a little closer.  First off, I said 1st round picks before 2020.  Between 2016-2019 four 1st round picks -- ZERO of them were pitchers.  That's a problem. 

Second, i said  "Even some of the 2-5th round picks the past 4 drafts....more should have gone to Ps".  I don't know why you are bringing up picks past round 5.  That's my whole point -- those pitchers are not typically going to turn into stud guys.  We were drafting senior type easy sign RPs or SP to turn into RP.  Basically the peanut types Eppler loves and hoping you can either catch lightening in a bottle or get a decent middle RP guy.  The fact that you can name one drafted guy (canning) in rounds 1-4 between 2016-2019 makes my point crystal clear. 

There's also Chris Rodriguez (2016 4th round), Swana & booker (4th/5th round 2017), 3-5th rounds in 2018 and 2019 (two were two-way guys though).  So in four drafts, only ONE pitcher out of the 8 selections for the first two rounds.  That's NOT enough for the elite draft picks.  You can't do that over four drafts.  Past round 2, you are really getting some low percentage hit rate.  

Now look at who we got in the Int'l market and spent our money on.  Find me a top P in our spending since Eppler came aboard.  The one great move he did was Othani.  But that's a different story than the true int'l market guys.  Even there, he's a 2-way player.  Even then, it wasn't our top $$$.  It's all spent on SS/OFs.

"More" -- meaning more  

4 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Maddon is still on a learning curve with the pitchers. Especially with a new pitching coach who isn't familiar with the staff. In a regular season there would be time enough to adjust and adapt, but everything is magnified now. 

But Rendon really is the key to the rest of the season. He was given an elite superstar contract. You can cut him some slack for the injury related slow start, but he has to start producing as expected.

On paper Fletcher, Trout and Rendon are about as good a top three batting order as you can find. Rendon in peak form can be a catalyst that cashes in the other two when on base  as well as extending rallies that gives the mid part of the order more RBI opportunities.

Traditionally third place in the batting order is for the best hitter. If Rendon reverts to form the offense should score enough to compensate for a weak bullpen. 

The 2002 team needed two prior years for the pitchers to adjust to a new pitching coach (Bud Black).

Granted, two of the starters were not with the MLB club until 2002 (Appier and Lackey).

3 hours ago, Fourts said:

Ummm, what?  Maybe you should review my post a little closer.  First off, I said 1st round picks before 2020.  Between 2016-2019 four 1st round picks -- ZERO of them were pitchers.  That's a problem. 

Second, i said  "Even some of the 2-5th round picks the past 4 drafts....more should have gone to Ps".  I don't know why you are bringing up picks past round 5.  That's my whole point -- those pitchers are not typically going to turn into stud guys.  We were drafting senior type easy sign RPs or SP to turn into RP.  Basically the peanut types Eppler loves and hoping you can either catch lightening in a bottle or get a decent middle RP guy.  The fact that you can name one drafted guy (canning) in rounds 1-4 between 2016-2019 makes my point crystal clear. 

There's also Chris Rodriguez (2016 4th round), Swana & booker (4th/5th round 2017), 3-5th rounds in 2018 and 2019 (two were two-way guys though).  So in four drafts, only ONE pitcher out of the 8 selections for the first two rounds.  That's NOT enough for the elite draft picks.  You can't do that over four drafts.  Past round 2, you are really getting some low percentage hit rate.  

Now look at who we got in the Int'l market and spent our money on.  Find me a top P in our spending since Eppler came aboard.  The one great move he did was Othani.  But that's a different story than the true int'l market guys.  Even there, he's a 2-way player.  Even then, it wasn't our top $$$.  It's all spent on SS/OFs.

"More" -- meaning more  

I believe that Eppler changed his approach by selecting the best athlete in the first round, regardless of their position. After the first round, he drafted for need.