• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: MORNING WRAP: Chris Taylor saves Dodgers; Mike Trout’s two homers come in Angels loss

The Morning Wrap shares the day’s top five stories from our reporters at the Southern California Newspaper Group … And have everything delivered to you in our daily newsletters

THURSDAY, AUG. 6

ONE: The Dodgers’ needed all of Joc Pederson’s two homers and  five RBIs and a game-saving throw from Chris Taylor to hold on for a 7-6 victory over the Padres.

Next up: Giant at Dodgers, Friday, 7:10 p.m.

The Padres nearly tied the score in the bottom of the ninth on Manny Machado’s fly-out to left, but Taylor’s throw home nailed Trent Grisham trying to score from third to ensure the victory. In other news, the Dodgers defended their decision on Gavin Lux not making the opening day roster.

What Chris Taylor said: “Manny hit it pretty low, so I feel like I got a pretty good jump. I don’t think he really got into it. Luckily, my momentum was already taking me in and I just tried to get rid of it as quick as I could and give Will an easy one-hop.”

TWO: The Angels wasted two homers from Mike Trout in a 7-6 loss to Seattle, and many were wondering about Angels manager Joe Maddon’s decision to pull starting pitcher Julio Teheran, who was one pitch away from ending the third inning in a scoreless game, writes J.P. Hoornstra.

Next up: Angels at Mariners, today, 1:10 p.m.

What Joe Maddon said: “We went with the high-percentage play and it just didn’t work out. We talked afterward. (Teheran) said he could have continued, and I’m sure he could have. It’s just one of those things we made our mind up to do, and we did.”

What Julio Teheran said: “I wasn’t expecting to go as long, like a normal start, but I didn’t know (my pitch limit) was 55 pitches. It’s something obviously they have to control. They’ve been controlling my pitches and I know how to handle that. … Obviously I was trying to convince Joe to stay, but there’s a process we have to follow.”

Also, there’s this on Shohei Ohtani…

THREE: The chances of college football in the fall seem to be diminishing each day, and UCLA football was the latest to take a hit after at least eight football players tested positive for COVID-19 since arriving on campus for voluntary workouts, LA County Public Health officials revelaed on Wednesday. “At UCLA, we’ve seen a number of football players who returned to campus and tested positive,” L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said.

FOUR: The Lakers were uninspiring in Wednesday’s loss to the Thunder, and reporter Kyle Goon described it like this: But even a nod to cosmic forces has not yet undone a shooting slump that humbled the Lakers in a 105-86 loss to the Thunder — a result that has no bearing on their top-seed status, but has continued to undermine confidence that they can reach the contending level they had in March. And although he won’t be ready when the playoffs start, help could be on way with the arrival of Rajon Rondo, Goon Reports.

Up next: Lakers vs. Rockets, today, 6 p.m.

FIVE: Clippers center Ivica Zubac described what life has been like inside the bubble in Orlando, comparing it to international tournaments where everyone sees each other at the hotel. And some good news from the NBA, who announced that no players tested positive for the coronavirus for a third consecutive week, writes Mirjam Swanson.

Next up: Clippers vs. Dallas, today, 3:30 p.m.

View the full article