• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your thought on Ohtani's pitching future

What is your thought on Ohtani's pitching future?   

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is your thought on Ohtani's pitching future?

• He will pitch well into the future.
    • I give him through 2021, to see if his arm stays healthy.
    • It's time for him to become mainly a position/DH player, ala Walsh (occasional pitching).

1 hour ago, cvdog said:

This is a no brainer. Ohtani is an above average hitter and should be our FT DH for the next several years. I just don't see his arm and pitching confidence keeping up.  Shohei just doesn't strike me as a real grinder on the mound. Besides he'll never touch 98-100 again. Cut you loses and end this little experiment. Every dime we spend next year better be on pitching. 

how do you know he'll never touch 98-100 again? that's not the history of TJS.

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, the only real answer is give him another year to try to put it all together.  If he can stay healthy I would much prefer him as a starter than a hitter.

He’s crazy talented but most starting pitchers spend the week studying the hitting tendencies of their next opponent. The greatest of hitters study the pitchers that they may have to face from game to game. Imagine trying to do both while trying to stay healthy, rested and ready for your next task. It can’t be as easy as it’s expected to be in the gameday thread. 

Any major decision about permanently taking pitching off the table will likely need his assent because of agreements made in initial negotiations and I don't see that happening this season or next.  He is going to continue to try to get back to being a starter and we will be along for the ride.  Too much upside to throw in the towel this early.

2 hours ago, RBM said:

Maybe not but I still wish I had Biff's sports almanac.

I know where it is and have seen it. It’s in the customer service office inside universal studios. They have a display about the movie with a few artifacts.

The Angels will see how 2021 goes and then decide what to do. 

What do I think will happen? I see the following chances:

20% he finds his ace form and is a true two-way star.

20% he continues as a two-way player, at least for a few years, but is inconsistent as a pitcher, both in terms of health and performance, possibly transitioning out of a regular pitching role.

60% he ends up as a full-time DH/OF.